Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   100M : Virgin Media Site Blocker (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687299)

Daveoc64 27-04-2012 18:46

Virgin Media Site Blocker

2 Attachment(s)
Anybody got any idea what the "Site blocker" tab on "My Virgin Media" is for?

It links to the following site:

https://my.virginmedia.com/site-blocked.html

I could understand the error appearing if a site was blocked for legal reasons, but why is there a tab on My Virgin Media that points to it?

Neither of the links on that page work.

boroboi 27-04-2012 18:59

Re: Virgin Media Site Blocker

Strange...

Milambar 27-04-2012 19:10

I don't know why this is flagged "100MB" because I get it too, and I'm only on 30Mbit.

It's going to be interesting to see what materializes there. I hope its a list of what sites they have been ordered to censor.

Sirius 27-04-2012 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milambar (Post 35420025)
I don't know why this is flagged "100MB" because I get it too, and I'm only on 30Mbit.

It's going to be interesting to see what materializes there. I hope its a list of what sites they have been ordered to censor.

Thankfully i have a VPN so if its any sites i use they will not be able to block them ;)

General Maximus 27-04-2012 19:25

i imagine it will be to do with sites the government has deamed super illegal and orders all isps to blacklist and probably search engines like google as well

philipp 27-04-2012 19:26

its probably going to be used to block things like newsbin2 etc (wasnt that in the news recently for bt need to block it?) when the time arises.

Sirius 27-04-2012 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by philipp (Post 35420031)
its probably going to be used to block things like newsbin2 etc (wasnt that in the news recently for bt need to block it?) when the time arises.

Thing is Newsbin2 has its own program now that allows it to be reached no matter what the isp does. The more they block these web sites the more the web sites will find ways around it.

Daveoc64 27-04-2012 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milambar (Post 35420025)

I wasn't able to post the thread without putting something, and that seemed like the most relevant option (although I realise it's miles off).

kwikbreaks 27-04-2012 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daveoc64 (Post 35420038)
I wasn't able to post the thread without putting something, and that seemed like the most relevant option (although I realise it's miles off).

You could have selected the blank option.

Skie 27-04-2012 23:45

I bet even using a different DNS server will get around it.

With CISPA in the states, the GCHQ wanting to read all of your emails and facebook posts and this sort of thing I can see the day when everything is encrypted or tunnelled. Which will hamper the security services far more than these misguided policies will ever help them.

craigj2k12 28-04-2012 00:42

If CISPA/SOPA/SISPA/RISPA/RASPA/TROOPA/POOPA etc ever become as strict as planned, the internet is going to change massively for everyone, web browsing software is going to change, and as mentioned, encryption and tunnelling is going to increase tenfold

kwikbreaks 28-04-2012 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skie (Post 35420112)
Which will hamper the security services far more than these misguided policies will ever help them.

Not half as much as reading all the tripe on facebook..

Chrysalis 29-04-2012 08:14

so whats the name of the site that was blocked?

I forsee a time where browsers may remove the facility to use proxies on order of the state, possibly VPNs been made illegal in consumer equipment as well. But the law makers are always behind so those kind of changes are probably a decade away. I also forsee a time where isps whitelist allowed traffic only such as port 80 and mainstream ip's only in that port. The internet is a nightmare for the global elite.

MovedGoalPosts 30-04-2012 16:28

Looks like Pirate bay will be one of the first to be hidden by this link : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17894176

Stuart 30-04-2012 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis (Post 35420524)
so whats the name of the site that was blocked?

I forsee a time where browsers may remove the facility to use proxies on order of the state, possibly VPNs been made illegal in consumer equipment as well. But the law makers are always behind so those kind of changes are probably a decade away. I also forsee a time where isps whitelist allowed traffic only such as port 80 and mainstream ip's only in that port. The internet is a nightmare for the global elite.

I doubt it. Both VPNs and Proxies are heavily used in Enterprise, and Government computing.

While any enterprise that wants it's customers to work from home, or from a hotel, should provide enterprise level equipment, that's not always practical, as enterprise equipment can be rather large and heavy.