Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   VM Installation woes (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33678728)

AndrewJD 15-06-2011 11:39

VM Installation woes

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if posting here will do me any good, but for my own sanity I thought it'd at least be worth me writing it all down so I've got everything in chronological order for future reference :)

I've been waiting for 2+ months now for Virgin Media to install telephone, broadband and TV to our new house (we've recently moved in, but the house & road it's on were built circa 1930). Yesterday, I found out I'm potentially looking at 4 months for an install. Now, although the wait is the most frustrating part of this - i have also been continually let down and even misled on several occasions, wasted hours on phone calls, and taken unnecessary time off work. Every time I phone VM I am told a different story, and I'm getting to the point where I'm pretty much dreading the next phone call. I'm therefore desperate for any kind of advice I can get!

Here's what has happened during the last 2 months in rough detail:

April 14th - Order VM Tv, broadband and phone line via their website. installation team scheduled for 5th of May.

May 3rd - I take a day off work. Installation team turn up, and tell me that they can't do the install, there is no 'tee' in the pavement for them to use to connect up my house. I am told by one of the guys that a lot of people just give up rather than wait for a construction team. He tells me his boss will phone me to chat about the options within the hour. Nobody phones me. So I phone them, but they can't tell me how long it's going to take.

May 5th - I phone VM for an update. They tell me an installations manager has had a look around, and he can't find a ' Tee ' anywhere near the house.

The woman I spoke to (Jane) was actually very helpful and friendly. She said she's writing an email to the area manager to ask him to escalate the process and to get someone down to the house to see where the nearest cable junction box is. It might mean that they need to dig up the road or path.

May 10th I phone VM to ask for an update. They say someone will definitely call me back the same day. Nobody calls. So I call in at about 4:30pm, and speak to someone called Kay. She tells me there's a construction issue, and that she's forwarding the issue to the construction team, but she can't give me any further details. She tells me to ring back tomorrow.

May 10th-19th Follow up calls/messages. Still no definitive answers

May 19th - VM phone me and tell me I can't get VM at my address. I am told that the nearest connection point is up to 75 meters away. VM tell me that they have known this for 1.5 weeks and that somebody should have let me know about it, but on top of it all they still haven't given me a refund either.

May 23rd Checked my bank account, still no refund. I phone VM and explain the situation. The guy on the phone feels sorry for me and says 2 people on my street have VM installs, but they're on either end of the street. So then we start Google-Street-View'ing my road, still on the phone. He looks in to it some more and goes through their database, and then tells me they should surely be able to split a neighbours box or something. He says he's going to do everything he can & ring round the departments, etc.

May 23rd VM call again - this time a chap named Richard leaves a message saying he's a local spotter. He says an installation manager has been in touch with him to say they made a mistake and that they can actually give us service, and apologises for the confusion. Apparently, the cable runs right in front of my house. He asks me if i want to re-order VM, on the basis that, this time, I can definitely get it installed. I go ahead with it. He tells me that the construction team will be visit on the 25th of May to dig up the pavement, and then the installation team will be arriving on the 5th of June to install the actual virgin box/phone lines.

May 25th I arrive home to find 'VM' scribbled on the parking bay in green spray paint, but no construction has taken place. Coincidental, Richard has left another message to tell me he's popping round in the evening to give me the contract. Richard arrives and he's a really friendly chap. I say I'm kinda reluctant to sign the contract, given the construction hasn't happened as he told me it would do. I show him the road markings and at first he tells me it's a water company, because VM looks a bit like 'WA' when it's upside down, but I point out it's actually his own company ('VM') if you look at it the other way around! Anyway, he assures me that this is typical and that given the installation isn't due until the 5th of June that there is plenty of time for them to do the construction in the mean time. I sign the contract

May 29th VM phone me and tell me they need to dig up the road. It's going to take up to 4 weeks. Very disappointed, especially given the only reason I signed up to a new contract was the fact that Richard had told me the work would be done before the 5th of June. Nothing I can do except wait.

June 6th I phone VM for an update. I *think* the lady i spoke to was called Emma. I am told that permission from the council has been granted, and it's now only a matter of time until the job pack is sent to construction team. I am told that the work should be completed within 2 weeks.

June 14th Expecting the work to be complete within a week, I chase VM for an update. They tell me that I need construction work done (we know this already) and that because of this I should expect a wait for 4-6 weeks, because they're very busy, and because the council need to give permission for the road dig. I explain that I was told they already had permission over a week ago. The lady on the phone explains that she doesn't think this is true and she doesn't know where Emma (the week before) got her information from. So it seems i've been misled, and the construction estimate has jumped from 1 week to 4-6 weeks. I am then told that the installation will take a further 1-2 weeks, so I'm looking at 5-8 weeks, which may mean that I have had to wait 4 months for the installation. I'm pretty shocked by this, especially given I am a web developer and need the internet connection, that and the fact we are in a new house and currently have no phone lines or TV in our house.

June 15th, Today
So this is where I am at the moment. The people I have spoken to at VM have all been polite, which I appreciate, but there has still been no progress. Surely up to 4 months is not normal. I really do not know when the work is eventually going to be done, but is there anything I can do about it?

I feel like I have bought a new contract in good faith, only to be continually let down, and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. If anyone can offer me any advice, I'd really, really, appreciate it! :)

Best regards,

Andrew

Salisbury (SP1)

GordonD 15-06-2011 22:30

Re: VM Installation woes

Email neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk , you may get some results as this will be passed to, I guess it's their Customer Relations Team, who are quite good at getting problems solved, it's worth a shot.

wazz 15-06-2011 23:41

If that ever happen to me I'd cancel everything from virgin media and say sorry I don't want it anymore

then I'll go Wit Sky or BT

AndrewJD 16-06-2011 11:11

Hi, thanks for your advice! I have just sent an email to neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk as you recommended. I'll let you know if I hear anything back! I also tried sending a message to their twitter team, but not heard anything yet.

@wazz, yes - I'm beginning to feel that choosing Virgin Media for our new house may have been a bad decision. I was hoping that being patient would be worth it in the end, but it just gets worse every time I speak to them. I'm going round in circles it seems and messages disappear in to the system with nobody being held accountable.

Anyway, I'll update this post when I get more updates. Hopefully we will see some progress soon.

AndrewJD 17-06-2011 10:51

Update: after sending an email in to neil berkett, I got a call back from someone in the ceo support team who said they were going to personally manage the installation from now on.

Sounds promising, will keep this post updated when i know more :)

joglynne 17-06-2011 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewJD (Post 35259233)
Update: after sending an email in to neil berkett, I got a call back from someone in the ceo support team who said they were going to personally manage the installation from now on.

That sounds very promising Andew.

The CEO support team do seem to be able to cut through all the buck passing and misinformation and that slows up anything happening and we have heard very good reports from other members who had their problems managed by the team. At least you now have someone in VM who has the power to find out what has been going on and what can be done to sort out what should be happening with your installation.

GordonD 18-06-2011 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewJD (Post 35259233)

Great news, let's hope you have a speedy resolution :)

AndrewJD 20-06-2011 10:39

Thanks guys, guess what? to my surprise, the construction / road dig started this morning, about an hour ago :)

Fingers crossed they don't hit any snags, and after today we only need the standard box/router installation. Things have definitely moved quickly after sending an email to Neil Berkett / the CEO support team... the additional 4-6 weeks wait for the construction has been cut to 2 working days, not bad at all!

I'll keep this post updated when i know more. Hopefully we'll get a final install date after today

AndrewJD 07-07-2011 13:34

Well, one final update. The install went ahead on Thursday last week. We're now fully connected :)

Despite the long wait, I'm pleased with how quick VM acted after the complaint to the CEO support team

MovedGoalPosts 07-07-2011 14:16

Nice to see a postive outcome from something that didn't start that well.

007stuart 07-07-2011 14:24

Surely the moral of this thread is that if you don't get the service you are promised don't hesitate to email the CEO as nothing gets done until his team get involved. On a more positve note I am sure the number of emails his team gets will eventually decrease once the VM do things right first time!

GordonD 07-07-2011 21:52

Great news, gald it's been sorted for you. :)