Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The Apple iPad Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33660911)

Callumpy 27-01-2010 21:31

re: The Apple iPad Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntiSilence (Post 34953405)

Haha :tu:

Hugh 27-01-2010 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 34953402)
'A fool and his money are soon parted.'

'All that glisters is not gold'

And the person who spends less money on each item WILL have MORE toys because he hath the spare money to do so.;)

But remember the immortal words.......

"Oooooooh - shiny!" :D

Damien 27-01-2010 22:34

The price isn't too bad. Considering the expectations before hand. To make a comparison, the equivalent Kindle (same size screen) is only $10 cheaper than the entry level model iPad (16 gig, no 3g). However you can also surf the web, watch video, play games and music. The colour screen will trounce the Kindle when it comes to some textbooks and newspapers. Considering this is Apple, I am impressed at the price.

The comparison to netbooks is also not apt IMO. The iPad could be better at a lot of the issues netbooks work on. Netbooks are mostly designed to surf the web and the web surfing on this device seems like it will be wonderful, the screen looks perfect for it. Anyone who uses a iPhone will know how well it works and how it's main limitation is the size of the screen. It will also be a ebook reader with a heavy focus on more glossy publications not served by any device so far all that well, namely newspapers and magazines. I also think there will be a heavy focus on games. This isn't a netbook or a laptop. It's a media device thing.

I can see taking this on holiday when I just need e-mail/internet/video. (The email client looks lovely too).

The main drawback against networks is the lack of physical keyboard, we'll have to see how that works.

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Video: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...irst-hands-on/

MadGamer 27-01-2010 23:11

My mum wants one, and I do have to admit they look nice. ITV News was reporting this on the 10PM program, and the impression from Apple was that it would retail between £300 - £500. Not bad

danielf 28-01-2010 00:01

It still sounds like a lot of money for a product that will only be used for a couple of days every month. ;)

Stephen 28-01-2010 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callumpy (Post 34953395)
It looks just like an iPhone, fail

Well more of the iPod Touch as it can't make calls :p:

Bluffdemon 28-01-2010 09:27

its a waste of time product , nothing new and nothing to get excited about

haydnwalker 28-01-2010 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer (Post 34953492)
it would retail between £300 - £500. Not bad

ARE YOU MAD? Its a complete Rip-Off!! (And that comes from an iPhone & MacBook Pro owner!)

I wouldn't purchase this 9.7" iPod Touch as thats all it is, and - I'd rather watch movies on my TV and listen to music on my iPhone, which also makes calls as well as browses the web just as well :)

gazzae 28-01-2010 11:16

When I heard the name on the radio I thought they were launching a women's sanitary product

danielf 28-01-2010 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by gazzae (Post 34953708)
When I heard the name on the radio I thought they were launching a women's sanitary product

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf
It still sounds like a lot of money for a product that will only be used for a couple of days every month. ;)

:)

jamiefrost 28-01-2010 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34953436)
The price isn't too bad. Considering the expectations before hand. To make a comparison, the equivalent Kindle (same size screen) is only $10 cheaper than the entry level model iPad (16 gig, no 3g). However you can also surf the web, watch video, play games and music. The colour screen will trounce the Kindle when it comes to some textbooks and newspapers. Considering this is Apple, I am impressed at the price.

The comparison to netbooks is also not apt IMO. The iPad could be better at a lot of the issues netbooks work on. Netbooks are mostly designed to surf the web and the web surfing on this device seems like it will be wonderful, the screen looks perfect for it. Anyone who uses a iPhone will know how well it works and how it's main limitation is the size of the screen. It will also be a ebook reader with a heavy focus on more glossy publications not served by any device so far all that well, namely newspapers and magazines. I also think there will be a heavy focus on games. This isn't a netbook or a laptop. It's a media device thing.

I can see taking this on holiday when I just need e-mail/internet/video. (The email client looks lovely too).

The main drawback against networks is the lack of physical keyboard, we'll have to see how that works.

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Video: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...irst-hands-on/

As long as you don't want to look a website that has flash or look at a video thats not encoded the way apple insist. Thats the biggest deal breaker for me. If Apple were more flexable in the codecs you could use then I snap one up. I mean come, on how popular does avi / mkv have to get.

The only good thing is the epub as long as it allows ebooks that have not been bought through itunes.

JJ

Derek 28-01-2010 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by haydnwalker (Post 34953702)
ARE YOU MAD? Its a complete Rip-Off!! (And that comes from an iPhone & MacBook Pro owner!)

I wouldn't purchase this 9.7" iPod Touch as thats all it is, and - I'd rather watch movies on my TV and listen to music on my iPhone, which also makes calls as well as browses the web just as well :)

Well not just as well as the screen obviously makes it easier to scroll through websites and see more of any video.

Depending on the price conversion I'll be tempted, from all I've seen its not a killer device to do anything but does enough things well enough to justify buying one.

punky 28-01-2010 12:23

http://www.funnyordie.co.uk/videos/167d70800c/the-ipad

danielf 28-01-2010 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by punky (Post 34953754)

:rofl: Classic!

bopdude 28-01-2010 12:43

LOL, funny mate, just about true though, nothing to get excited about imho.