Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The Apple iPad Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33660911)

Ben B 27-01-2010 18:26

The Apple iPad Thread

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8483654.stm

So what use would anyone have for a Tablet PC really?

iFrankie 27-01-2010 18:29

re: The Apple iPad Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben B (Post 34953273)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8483654.stm

So what use would anyone have for a Tablet PC really?

Its not really a computer is it, id love one! but im not getting one because they will have a newer version by the end of the year.

---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------
Live Stream

http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/l...stream=stream1

Hugh 27-01-2010 18:30

I had Compaq Tablet in 2003, and it was useful as a general office gadget (handwriting recognition as well as the standard laptop stuff), and the keyboard detached. I liked it, and kept it for travelling.

Only problem was that it was painfully slow - underpowered for what it was trying to do.

Derek 27-01-2010 18:32

I want one. :drool:

Ben B 27-01-2010 18:34

A giant iPod touch

iFrankie 27-01-2010 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben B (Post 34953286)
A giant iPod touch

But better :D:D:D

dilli-theclaw 27-01-2010 18:35

Well I like the look of it. As for people buying it. It's a mac - build it and they will come lol

Ben B 27-01-2010 18:37

I'd rather have a touch screen laptop, then at least I have a keyboard to type on

Chris 27-01-2010 18:43

I would love to have a keyboard free, touchscreen Mac - but I don't think that's what this is. I think it may be running the iPod/iPhone OS rather than a version of OSX.

dilli-theclaw 27-01-2010 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 34953293)
I would love to have a keyboard free, touchscreen Mac - but I don't think that's what this is. I think it may be running the iPod/iPhone OS rather than a version of OSX.

I have heard rumours it does indeed run firmware 4.0 (Which is what I'm hoping they are going to announce).

Bluffdemon 27-01-2010 18:48

and what rip off price will this be i wonder !

Hugh 27-01-2010 19:03

Who cares - I'll get work to buy me one.... :D

Stephen 27-01-2010 19:10

I was totally underwhelmed. It is essentially a giant iPod touch with some extra features thrown in. Not worth it at all.

DocDutch 27-01-2010 19:23

it does look sweet :) but have to see what the $ price is and what the £ or € is going to be for this device.

for the basic 1 with Wifi and 3g $629.... quite steep if your asking me.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/l...reation-event/

martyh 27-01-2010 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 34953293)

"Bandwidth revealed that device will run on an extension of the iPhone operating system"

according to sky news if this helps

haydnwalker 27-01-2010 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocDutch (Post 34953315)
it does look sweet :) but have to see what the $ price is and what the £ or € is going to be for this device.

for the basic 1 with Wifi and 3g $629.... quite steep if your asking me.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/l...reation-event/

Chances are it'll be upwards of £400. I think they might just turn the $ into a £ though.

Maggy 27-01-2010 19:42

But,but I can get a netbook for around £200.:shocked:

Stephen 27-01-2010 20:00

No camera and no Multi Tasking still. Makes it just a big iPod Touch with a few new features.

Not worth the money at all.

cookie_365 27-01-2010 20:02

I got distracted by his hideous jeans. And hideous top. And hideous trainers.

So the most important feature, the one thing he wanted to emphasize over everything else? You can change the wallpaper!

CycoSymz 27-01-2010 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookie_365 (Post 34953346)
I got distracted by his hideous jeans. And hideous top. And hideous trainers.

So the most important feature, the one thing he wanted to emphasize over everything else? You can change the wallpaper!

But only one thats been approved by Apple :D:D

haydnwalker 27-01-2010 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 34953336)
But,but I can get a netbook for around £200.:shocked:

But apple don't need to release a netbook, they've got a £600 MacBook 13" :)

IF it had a keyboard as well as the touchscreen and the screen swivelled a-la-usual tablet laptops then it would be far more useful (running OSX obviously :)) as it would be useful for graphics/drawing apps and I could do away with my WACOM tablet :)

Maggy 27-01-2010 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by haydnwalker (Post 34953367)

IF it had a keyboard as well as the touchscreen and the screen swivelled a-la-usual tablet laptops then it would be far more useful (running OSX obviously :)) as it would be useful for graphics/drawing apps and I could do away with my WACOM tablet :)

You still won't be able to draw as well as you can on paper.:erm:

Hom3r 27-01-2010 21:00

I'm sorry but I don't see what the fuss is about?

My Samsung NC10 looks like it has a better spec.

AntiSilence 27-01-2010 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by haydnwalker (Post 34953367)

But for that £600 you could buy a £200 NetBook *and* make a decent desktop PC!

Maggy 27-01-2010 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntiSilence (Post 34953388)
But for that £600 you could buy a £200 NetBook *and* make a decent desktop PC!

and the netbook will have 160 GB HD plus 1GB of memory...64GB at $800 is a bit steep.

How do they do it? how do they convince people that a product that any other company tried to sell would be laughed at but because it's Apple it's something they simply MUST have?

Must be the high prices.Don't get me wrong I like nice designs but I'm not stupid enough to pay way over the odds because it looks nice.

Probably why I drive a KIA. ;)

Callumpy 27-01-2010 21:17

It looks just like an iPhone, fail

Hugh 27-01-2010 21:17

But, but, but.......

He who dies with the most toys, wins!

Maggy 27-01-2010 21:24

'A fool and his money are soon parted.'

'All that glisters is not gold'

And the person who spends less money on each item WILL have MORE toys because he hath the spare money to do so.;)

jamiefrost 27-01-2010 21:25

I'd like a tablet pc of some sort

multitouch , good conectivity, play HD video, odd office like app. etc

Not sure this will do it for me don't fancy conveting all videos from divx / vob etc

Guess I'll have to carry on waiting

Apple do a very nice interface and user experiance but I'm not sure that this will justify the additional cost

JJ

AntiSilence 27-01-2010 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callumpy (Post 34953395)

http://twitpic.com/101q3y :D

Callumpy 27-01-2010 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntiSilence (Post 34953405)

Haha :tu:

Hugh 27-01-2010 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 34953402)
'A fool and his money are soon parted.'

'All that glisters is not gold'

And the person who spends less money on each item WILL have MORE toys because he hath the spare money to do so.;)

But remember the immortal words.......

"Oooooooh - shiny!" :D

Damien 27-01-2010 22:34

The price isn't too bad. Considering the expectations before hand. To make a comparison, the equivalent Kindle (same size screen) is only $10 cheaper than the entry level model iPad (16 gig, no 3g). However you can also surf the web, watch video, play games and music. The colour screen will trounce the Kindle when it comes to some textbooks and newspapers. Considering this is Apple, I am impressed at the price.

The comparison to netbooks is also not apt IMO. The iPad could be better at a lot of the issues netbooks work on. Netbooks are mostly designed to surf the web and the web surfing on this device seems like it will be wonderful, the screen looks perfect for it. Anyone who uses a iPhone will know how well it works and how it's main limitation is the size of the screen. It will also be a ebook reader with a heavy focus on more glossy publications not served by any device so far all that well, namely newspapers and magazines. I also think there will be a heavy focus on games. This isn't a netbook or a laptop. It's a media device thing.

I can see taking this on holiday when I just need e-mail/internet/video. (The email client looks lovely too).

The main drawback against networks is the lack of physical keyboard, we'll have to see how that works.

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Video: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...irst-hands-on/

MadGamer 27-01-2010 23:11

My mum wants one, and I do have to admit they look nice. ITV News was reporting this on the 10PM program, and the impression from Apple was that it would retail between £300 - £500. Not bad

danielf 28-01-2010 00:01

It still sounds like a lot of money for a product that will only be used for a couple of days every month. ;)

Stephen 28-01-2010 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callumpy (Post 34953395)

Well more of the iPod Touch as it can't make calls :p:

Bluffdemon 28-01-2010 09:27

its a waste of time product , nothing new and nothing to get excited about

haydnwalker 28-01-2010 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer (Post 34953492)
it would retail between £300 - £500. Not bad

ARE YOU MAD? Its a complete Rip-Off!! (And that comes from an iPhone & MacBook Pro owner!)

I wouldn't purchase this 9.7" iPod Touch as thats all it is, and - I'd rather watch movies on my TV and listen to music on my iPhone, which also makes calls as well as browses the web just as well :)

gazzae 28-01-2010 11:16

When I heard the name on the radio I thought they were launching a women's sanitary product

danielf 28-01-2010 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by gazzae (Post 34953708)
When I heard the name on the radio I thought they were launching a women's sanitary product

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf
It still sounds like a lot of money for a product that will only be used for a couple of days every month. ;)

:)

jamiefrost 28-01-2010 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 34953436)
The price isn't too bad. Considering the expectations before hand. To make a comparison, the equivalent Kindle (same size screen) is only $10 cheaper than the entry level model iPad (16 gig, no 3g). However you can also surf the web, watch video, play games and music. The colour screen will trounce the Kindle when it comes to some textbooks and newspapers. Considering this is Apple, I am impressed at the price.

The comparison to netbooks is also not apt IMO. The iPad could be better at a lot of the issues netbooks work on. Netbooks are mostly designed to surf the web and the web surfing on this device seems like it will be wonderful, the screen looks perfect for it. Anyone who uses a iPhone will know how well it works and how it's main limitation is the size of the screen. It will also be a ebook reader with a heavy focus on more glossy publications not served by any device so far all that well, namely newspapers and magazines. I also think there will be a heavy focus on games. This isn't a netbook or a laptop. It's a media device thing.

I can see taking this on holiday when I just need e-mail/internet/video. (The email client looks lovely too).

The main drawback against networks is the lack of physical keyboard, we'll have to see how that works.

---------- Post added at 22:34 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Video: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/a...irst-hands-on/

As long as you don't want to look a website that has flash or look at a video thats not encoded the way apple insist. Thats the biggest deal breaker for me. If Apple were more flexable in the codecs you could use then I snap one up. I mean come, on how popular does avi / mkv have to get.

The only good thing is the epub as long as it allows ebooks that have not been bought through itunes.

JJ

Derek 28-01-2010 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by haydnwalker (Post 34953702)
ARE YOU MAD? Its a complete Rip-Off!! (And that comes from an iPhone & MacBook Pro owner!)

I wouldn't purchase this 9.7" iPod Touch as thats all it is, and - I'd rather watch movies on my TV and listen to music on my iPhone, which also makes calls as well as browses the web just as well :)

Well not just as well as the screen obviously makes it easier to scroll through websites and see more of any video.

Depending on the price conversion I'll be tempted, from all I've seen its not a killer device to do anything but does enough things well enough to justify buying one.

punky 28-01-2010 12:23

http://www.funnyordie.co.uk/videos/167d70800c/the-ipad

danielf 28-01-2010 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by punky (Post 34953754)

:rofl: Classic!

bopdude 28-01-2010 12:43

LOL, funny mate, just about true though, nothing to get excited about imho.

Damien 28-01-2010 13:04

I just want to browse the internet on the thing *drolls*. Really hope newspapers and magazines adopt it as well.

Derek 28-01-2010 13:30

I like Stephen Fry's take on it.

Quote:

I have heard these voices before. In June 2007 when the iPhone was launched I collected a long list of “not impressed”, “meh”, “big deal”, “style over substance”, “it’s all hype”, “my HTC TyTN can do more”, “what a disappointment”, “majorly underwhelmed” and similar reactions.

punky 28-01-2010 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek S (Post 34953813)

He is good. And right. Whilst its really off the mark of what people wanted (like with the iPhone 2G) people will still gravitate towards it. And its a whole new device for people to loiter around Starbucks with.

I really want this though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFQWc79TYcU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmIgNfp-MdI

downquark1 28-01-2010 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek S (Post 34953813)

I remember being very impressed with the iphone, but then the iphone hadn't been hyped up for a year based on nothing but hear-say.

The hype had me expecting apple to pull radical new ideas and apps out for this thing, but alas no.

The hype was definitely wrong and I don't think this will be as successful as the iphone.

Horace 28-01-2010 15:11

It'll sell, they have millions of iDroolers with their iMoney waiting to buy anything they release. Apple could release a polished iTurd and it would still sell by the bucket-load.

ZrByte 28-01-2010 15:45

I'm not an apple fan in the slightest, infact the only apple product I have is an Ipod Nano 5th gen.
However when I saw this and its price which I thought was reasonable at first I was very tempted. That is until I realised it is basically running the Iphone OS. I just don't understand it, surely the hardware is up to running a cut down OSX? I have to say though even after finding out what OS it is running I would be very tempted if it was just a bit cheaper. I have used older tablet PCs to do exactly what the iPad is designed for, and though they got the job done there was something seriously lacking in the interface. And lets face interfaces are what apple do best.
Though after seeing punkys link, I think the courier is a much better idea, especially if the two screens work together to make one big screen when needed (two displays is cool but sometimes one bigger screen is better).

Uncle Peter 28-01-2010 15:48

Ahhh.... all of a sudden I am interested but maybe for a slightly unusual reason. Naysayers say nay but with the right apps: as a touch screen midi control surface for musicians it's cheaper than a Lemur.

Horace 28-01-2010 15:53

Just saw this : https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/01/8.jpg

Damien 28-01-2010 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 34953940)
Ahhh.... all of a sudden I am interested but maybe for a slightly unusual reason. Naysayers say nay but with the right apps: as a touch screen midi control surface for musicians it's cheaper than a Lemur.

This is what I think as well. They have effectively made a nice touch-screen computer for developers to go crazy for. More than the iPhone applications will define this device.

I really want a Guardian App* that is like the New York Times one, in otherwords it displays as it would in print. (which is often better than they can do on the web, for displaying information anyway) and also brings in video. Imagine flicking though a paper like normal but videos are embedded in it. Nice.

*Naturally to view while drinking my latte.

Stuart 28-01-2010 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZrByte (Post 34953935)
I'm not an apple fan in the slightest, infact the only apple product I have is an Ipod Nano 5th gen.
However when I saw this and its price which I thought was reasonable at first I was very tempted. That is until I realised it is basically running the Iphone OS. I just don't understand it, surely the hardware is up to running a cut down OSX? I have to say though even after finding out what OS it is running I would be very tempted if it was just a bit cheaper. I have used older tablet PCs to do exactly what the iPad is designed for, and though they got the job done there was something seriously lacking in the interface. And lets face interfaces are what apple do best.
Though after seeing punkys link, I think the courier is a much better idea, especially if the two screens work together to make one big screen when needed (two displays is cool but sometimes one bigger screen is better).

The iPhone OS is a cut down OSX..

As for the courier, it might be an idea to wait for actual hardware. Microsoft demonstrate a *lot* of advanced and rather nifty looking systems that then don't make it into an actual product.

If you can find them, look at Microsoft's original videos of what they planned for "Longhorn" (the OS released under the name "Vista"). They had planned a far more revolutionary redesign of the interface (one that would have enforced the idea of working with documents and not applications to the point where it would have been difficult to see what app you are using) than the one they developed.

Bluffdemon 28-01-2010 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 34953946)

thats so funny yet so true !

ZrByte 28-01-2010 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart C (Post 34953973)
The iPhone OS is a cut down OSX..

As for the courier, it might be an idea to wait for actual hardware. Microsoft demonstrate a *lot* of advanced and rather nifty looking systems that then don't make it into an actual product.

If you can find them, look at Microsoft's original videos of what they planned for "Longhorn" (the OS released under the name "Vista"). They had planned a far more revolutionary redesign of the interface (one that would have enforced the idea of working with documents and not applications to the point where it would have been difficult to see what app you are using) than the one they developed.

Yes but isnt the iphone OS so heavily cut down cmopared to OSX Its like comparing windows mobile 5 to windows 7. I meant more like the slightly cut down tablet editions and netbook editions of windows and some linux distros.
And yes I do agree about microsoft, I'm still waiting for the windows desktop thingy to become standard hardware, I think they predicted a 2010/2011 release and from what I hear that's nowhere near likely (Though It was nice to see it have a cameo in Quantum of Solace).

Chris 28-01-2010 17:56

Some interesting analysis in the Herald today (print only, I'm afraid) - asking whether this can replace a laptop, and observing that for those who use a laptop to sit on the sofa and consume content, most definitely yes, but for those who use a laptop to create content, probably not.

I can just see my mother-in-law with one of these. She loves her iPhone and her iPod*, and only has a laptop for email and browsing web forums.

*Yes, she has both, an iPhone 3GS and a brand new iPod classic. And no, I've not got to the bottom of why yet. :spin:

dilli-theclaw 28-01-2010 18:02

I wonder what the accesibility is like. If it has a decent zoom and screen reader I'll be happy ;) I do like the look of the mac zoom and screen reader.

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 34954058)
*Yes, she has both, an iPhone 3GS and a brand new iPod classic. And no, I've not got to the bottom of why yet. :spin:

My dad has an iPhone and an iPod touch - go figure :)

Lew 28-01-2010 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 34953940)

That was my thought as well. There are some good iPhone/iPod Touch apps that are geared towards using the device as a peripheral connected to a computer (there's a nice one that lets you use it for controlling Cubase, and then there's TouchOSC that gives you controls for any MIDI device). With the extra resolution on the iPad I could see it being a nice addition to Logic/Garageband for such things as controlling the mixer for example. It could also be nice for digital DJ software such as Traktor or VirtualDJ.

Hugh 28-01-2010 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas T (Post 34954062)
I wonder what the accesibility is like. If it has a decent zoom and screen reader I'll be happy ;) I do like the look of the mac zoom and screen reader.

---------- Post added at 18:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

My dad has an iPhone and an iPod touch - go figure :)

I used to have an iPod, an iTouch, and an iPhone :D (a friend gave me the iPod 80GB as a thank you gift, I won the iTouch, and got the iPhone as a work phone).

Used to have - my son has the iPod, and my daughter the iTouch.:dozey:

Lew 28-01-2010 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZrByte (Post 34954035)
Yes but isnt the iphone OS so heavily cut down cmopared to OSX Its like comparing windows mobile 5 to windows 7. I meant more like the slightly cut down tablet editions and netbook editions of windows and some linux distros.
And yes I do agree about microsoft, I'm still waiting for the windows desktop thingy to become standard hardware, I think they predicted a 2010/2011 release and from what I hear that's nowhere near likely (Though It was nice to see it have a cameo in Quantum of Solace).

Having used a tablet PC (admittedly running XP Tablet Edition) for me the standard desktop UI doesn't work very well on a touch-oriented device. While I believe the iPad definitely has room for improvement (I'm interested to see what's to come when iPhone OS 4 arrives; the iPad is running v3.2 apparently, just the standard iPhone OS with a few tweaks for the new features) I think it's a better fit for this type of device than the desktop OS X GUI would have been. Manipulating normal windows and controls would just be too fiddly with a touch interface, whereas the restrictions of the iPhone interface has made developers to come up with some very intuitive ways of interacting with the software.

Raistlin 28-01-2010 20:42

All I'm gonna say is this.....

If it is running the same OS as the iPhone for your own sake please don't put anything important on it :erm:

Lew 28-01-2010 20:43

An iPad-enabled version of this game could be quite fun. :)

CycoSymz 28-01-2010 20:48

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 19489

This made me laugh :D

Damien 28-01-2010 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob M (Post 34954224)
All I'm gonna say is this.....

If it is running the same OS as the iPhone for your own sake please don't put anything important on it :erm:

Why?

handyman 29-01-2010 00:21

Well the launch is 2 months off and a lot can change in that time. I do like all the apple bashing though it's quite funny. Just because the sony netbook sized laptops used to be £2k plus never stopped me wanting one. After using an iphone since the launch of the 2g I think I could definitely find a use for this. I could leave my Laptop for proper work and configure it as such and then have this for pootling on the web down stairs on the couch. I was pondering a tv for the bedroom as I quite often watch iplayer on the iphone in bed on cold hungover mornings and this would improve that no end. (Yes I know I could go hunt my laptop and wait 5 minutes for it to boot and then go hunt the charger etc..). Going to be plenty more 'meaty' apps for this come launch and a lot more productivity stuff. I can see me doing tech calls with this and wandering round like I'm in Star Trek ;-).

Jimmy-J 29-01-2010 02:57

Hitler responds to the iPad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0...layer_embedded

MadGamer 29-01-2010 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Product 13 (Post 34954377)

:D

handyman 29-01-2010 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Product 13 (Post 34954377)

Very funny :-)

Chris 29-01-2010 11:46

:rofl:

Brilliant. :D

Some good points, though. It's clearly designed for consuming the web - so why no Flash? That means no Youtube and none of the nonsense Mrs T loves to play about with on Farcebook. That one single omission renders the thing useless in our house. Otherwise, at anything under £400 we would almost certainly have bought one at some point.

Lew 29-01-2010 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 34954478)
:rofl:

Brilliant. :D

Some good points, though. It's clearly designed for consuming the web - so why no Flash? That means no Youtube…

Because…

1: Steve Jobs is a control freak.
2: Flash is a buggy, insecure piece of crap.
3: Adobe couldn't code a decent version of Flash on non-Windows platforms if their lives depended on it.

As for the no YouTube problem, they're beta-testing an HTML5/h.264 version at the moment, which works fine. That, plus the YouTube app that comes as standard on every iPhone and iPod Touch and iPad. ;)

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/features/
Quote:

YouTube

The YouTube app organises videos so they’re really easy to see and navigate. To watch one, you just tap it. When you’re watching in landscape, the video will automatically play in full screen. And with its high-resolution display, the latest YouTube HD videos will look amazing on iPad.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/01/6.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

BTW, the Apple UK site now has an iPad page.

Unfortunately…
Quote:

Please note, pricing is in US dollars. International pricing will be announced at a later date.

Maggy 30-01-2010 11:10

Has everyone seen all the very funny youtube productions and blogs around the web..There is one youtube I loved but can't link to because it is so tasteless...

danielf 30-01-2010 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 34954914)
Has everyone seen all the very funny youtube productions and blogs around the web..There is one youtube I loved but can't link to because it is so tasteless...

I'm guessing a google for Itampon will bring it up though ;)

Maggy 30-01-2010 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 34954919)
I'm guessing a google for Itampon will bring it up though ;)

Could be..but I suspect there maybe more than one..;)

punky 31-01-2010 23:55

A worthy competitor emerges

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/31/8...rnals-windows/

dilli-theclaw 12-03-2010 19:27

OOOhhh yeah - it will be able to read out loud ebooks :)

I was considering the kindle 2 because of this feature, now - well I think the iPad will do me a treat.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/...book-features/

Mind you that's assuming apple sort out a uk iBook app.

Derek 12-03-2010 19:35

Still no official word on UK prices?

dilli-theclaw 12-03-2010 19:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek S (Post 34979279)
Still no official word on UK prices?

I've not seen it mentioned anywhere yet. I've signed up to be emailed when they are pre-ordering so I'll post something as soon as I know.

Derek 14-04-2010 17:51

They've been delayed till late May in the rest of the world. :(

Stephen 14-04-2010 17:56

Pre orders start on the 10th May on the UK site and O2 has exclusive tariffs for the iPad 3G version.

Ben B 14-04-2010 18:03

As has Orange http://newsroom.orange.co.uk/2010/04...-release-1184/ :)

xpod 15-04-2010 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by punky (Post 34955802)

And another ?

*Pads are for sharing it seems.

zing_deleted 15-04-2010 11:02

The thing is from what I can see the competition are actually tablet computers whereas the Ipad is an extra large Ipod

Damien 15-04-2010 11:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by zing (Post 35001672)
The thing is from what I can see the competition are actually tablet computers whereas the Ipad is an extra large Ipod

Pretty much but 'tablet' computers have failed before, probably because they run software much is designed with a keyboard and mouse interface before. The reviews I have seen of the iPad do confirm it's a large iPhone but prefer to see the iPhone as a smaller iPad. That is the idea of the iPhone's interface is greatly improved on the bigger screen which is also more responsive.

zing_deleted 15-04-2010 11:19

but there is no multi tasking so I read?

Windows 7 is optimised for touch screen tech so maybe the day is dawning for the tablet pc?

I am sure the Ipad will be a wonderful peice of kit and arm processors have come a long way but the 3g versions of the Ipad are gonna be to expensive imo mind you I am sure the Tablets will be to. :)

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

am I right that only the 3G models can be used as a phone and the wifi models are only ipods?

I did also read they use a micro sim which will make it hard to jailbreak and unlock these off the tarriffs which o2 orange and voda announced (without costs yet)

So I assume on US costings you are looking at £450/£500 for the lowest model with 3G and a data charge( will the ipad cost be subsidised?)

haydnwalker 15-04-2010 18:17

The 3G is for amazon kindle-like iBook books to be downloaded in the background. They can't be used as phones perse.

There will be multitasking in the up-and-coming OS4 update (although its supposed to be late this year the iPad version).

Uncle Peter 15-04-2010 21:16

Midi control and music apps are appearing on the radar.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2010/0...igger-picture/

Nothing really useful for Logic Studio or Ableton and nothing for Mainstage ie: live performance patch/instrument selections or manipulation.

danielf 16-04-2010 15:39

Best not to travel to Israel when carrying an iPad.

Xaccers 16-04-2010 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by danielf (Post 35002527)
Best not to travel to Israel when carrying an iPad.

Given that there are reports of the iPad having poor wifi signal, just think how bad the weaker European version would be.

Customer: Good mornin' me ol' mukka, moi iPad ain't working wiv me wifi
Apple: Ah, you're British, are you within 2 inches of your wireless router?

Hom3r 16-04-2010 19:44

Well going by the reviews, there not good.

John Bentley from the gadget show said he ain't sorry to hand it back, it won't be missed.

Damien 16-04-2010 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35002703)
Well going by the reviews, there not good.

John Bentley from the gadget show said he ain't sorry to hand it back, it won't be missed.

Most of the reviews are quite good from the States...

http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews...pad-review.ars
http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/02/the...h-ipad-review/
http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100331/apple-ipad-review/
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/te...h/01pogue.html

Engadget, Critical of the iPad at first:

http://i.engadget.com/2010/04/03/apple-ipad-review/

Now New York Times is suspect because of questions over the author's impartiality but i think it's ok. These are balanced reviews that don't hide it's bad points but the critical reception is good for the iPad.

xpod 16-04-2010 20:44

I dont mean to slate Apple or indeed their users but lets face it, it wouldn`t matter how bad/lacking in functionality it might be because people will still buy it in their droves. The Apple name alone will see to that.
Like any new toy on the market though it might be better waiting a couple of generations before buying one, if you must of course.

Touchscreens of any description dont seem to have a very long life span here at home without being damaged in some way so even if we did all use Mac`s i doubt i`d be buying anyone an Ipad to add to that collection.

xpod 20-04-2010 23:41

At least it blends quite well.

Derek 08-05-2010 01:01

UK pricing has been released. Pre-orders from Monday.

Quote:

* 16GB, wifi only - £429 inc vat
* 32GB, wifi only - £499 inc vat
* 64GB, wifi only - £599 inc vat
* 16GB, wifi/3G - £529 inc vat
* 32GB, wifi/3G - £599 inc vat
* 64GB, wifi/3G - £699 inc vat

Horace 08-05-2010 15:26

The flash memory chips in the 16gig model cost £20 and £80* for the 64gig chip which explains the £170 difference between those two models.

*at today's relatively awful exchange rates

zing_deleted 08-05-2010 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek S (Post 35016740)
UK pricing has been released. Pre-orders from Monday.

ouch

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 35017032)
The flash memory chips in the 16gig model cost £20 and £80* for the 64gig chip which explains the £170 difference between those two models.

*at today's relatively awful exchange rates

how does £60 sterling equate to a mark up or £170?

Maggy 08-05-2010 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by zing (Post 35017064)
ouch

Ouch indeed..but people will buy them.:rolleyes:

Hom3r 08-05-2010 17:22

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Tec...er_From_May_10

Apparently it's not being call iPad in the UK, it's gonna be rebranded iCon.

Its always the same the Brits get sold the same product but they just chane the $ to a £ and leave the number the same.

Horace 09-05-2010 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by zing (Post 35017064)
ouch

I forgot the /s