Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Would you like to see Celtic and Rangers in the English league? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33685588)

Cobbydaler 13-02-2012 21:19

Re: Would you like to see Celtic and Rangers in the English league?

Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonRoad (Post 35381541)
The supporter base other clubs makes that unfeasible. Celtic and Rangers are 2 very large fish in a pond of tiddlers.

Even if Hearts & Hibs developed a bit?

There are the odd upsets from other teams.

Surely it's better to keep them within Scotland to encourage the youngsters?

TheDon 13-02-2012 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by LondonRoad (Post 35381511)
I know many supporters of the top EPL teams would prefer seeing their teams play Celtic or Rangers than some of the the Yoyo teams from the Championship.

Celtic and Rangers would just turn into yoyo teams from the Championship though. No CL money, and who's going to want to play for Celtic or Rangers when they won't see Europe?

Celtic and Rangers fans are deluded that they'll be able to compete in the PL, they won't. They'll start off mid table at best, and then drift downwards.

LondonRoad 13-02-2012 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDon (Post 35381561)
Celtic and Rangers would just turn into yoyo teams from the Championship though. No CL money, and who's going to want to play for Celtic or Rangers when they won't see Europe?

Celtic and Rangers fans are deluded that they'll be able to compete in the PL, they won't. They'll start off mid table at best, and then drift downwards.

Both clubs have far more potential than any midtable English Premier league clubs. Their supporter base stretches further as does their marketing opportunities. They may start midtable but with the funding available to the EPL they'd be realistic contenders within a very short time.

Damien 13-02-2012 22:04

Celtic and Rangers would do well, eventually. Their supporter base is quite good. That said at the moment they wouldn't survive in the Premier League with the teams they have. I think they wouldn't be contenders for a long time either. United, Arsenal, City, Spurs, Chelsea should all finish above them.

Derek 14-02-2012 06:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobbydaler (Post 35381550)
Even if Hearts & Hibs developed a bit?

They need more than a bit of development. Even with Rangers on their knees this season, and to a lesser extent the last two years, they are still well ahead of number 3 in the league.

Both members of the old firm are an embarrassment in European games and any time one of the 'diddy' teams sneaks in they are even worse.

Scottish football is gash. If the Rangers and Celtic joined an English league the TV money would be good but they would be mid table at best.

Alan Fry 07-03-2012 15:25

They should join the EPL or better still join form a Atlantic League with the top teams from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Portugal, Belgium and The Neatherlands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_League_(football)

Arthurgray50@blu 07-03-2012 18:54

I am strongly against Rangers or Celtic joining the English League for two reasons, The First one is that if they wanted to join the English league, then they would want to go into the Premier League, and this would be unfair on all the other clubs who are fighting each week to go up the table to get into the best league in the world.

The other reason, We don't want there 'religious war' or what you call it coming into English league.

Sorry about that, but there is more trouble between these two clubs on the religious front than any other clubs that l know.

And before Scottish fans start having a go, but l am married to a Scot and you only have to mention one club, and they go ballistic.

jb66 07-03-2012 19:08

I think they would be happy to be in the 3rd division

denphone 07-03-2012 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35395069)
I think they would be happy to be in the 3rd division

In their dreams.:)

jb66 07-03-2012 19:15

Probably more money there!

denphone 07-03-2012 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35395076)
Probably more money there!

And plenty of debt there as well jb.

thenry 07-03-2012 19:17

theres more assets in a skip

devilincarnate 07-03-2012 19:31

Have Ranger's got the money for the bus fare down to play?:erm:

colin25 07-03-2012 20:54

As a non-Rangers/Celtic fan, I would say yes. Purely as i think it would liven up the games. I'd have them start from league 2.

One caveat, if they caused problems...fans etc...chuck them out

Alan Fry 07-03-2012 21:33

What will happen to Celtic if Rangers shut down?