Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin & O2 Mobile Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Just received a great PAYG to contract offer. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705000)

RichardCoulter 12-06-2017 01:08

Just received a great PAYG to contract offer.

I rarely use my personal mobile phone, so have so far resisted the offers of a £5 per month SIM only deal for a fixed amount of data, text and voice calls.

The other day I received a phone call to offer me the following, which I've accepted:

Zero cost per month.

Unlimited calls to 01,02 and 03 landline numbers 24/7.

Unlimited data.

Unlimited calls to Virgin mobiles 24/7.

45p per minute to other mobile networks.

30 day rolling contract.

I only receive free weekend calls on my VM landline, so will use my mobile when at home instead.

Not sure what benefit this is to VM??

Ken W 12-06-2017 06:15

Re: Just received a great PAYG to contract offer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35902948)
I rarely use my personal mobile phone, so have so far resisted the offers of a £5 per month SIM only deal for a fixed amount of data, text and voice calls.

The other day I received a phone call to offer me the following, which I've accepted:

Zero cost per month.

Unlimited calls to 01,02 and 03 landline numbers 24/7.

Unlimited data.

Unlimited calls to Virgin mobiles 24/7.

45p per minute to other mobile networks.

30 day rolling contract.

I only receive free weekend calls on my VM landline, so will use my mobile when at home instead.

Not sure what benefit this is to VM??

Read the small print very carefully

BenMcr 12-06-2017 13:32

I wasn't aware that Virgin Mobile were doing any unlimited data plans anymore.

So is it a residential mobile offer or a business mobile offer?

RichardCoulter 12-06-2017 14:30

Residential.

Wonder if I've been lied to Ben, it sounded like one of those outbound foreign call centres that was doing it.

arcimedes 12-06-2017 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35903019)
Residential.

Wonder if I've been lied to Ben, it sounded like one of those outbound foreign call centres that was doing it.

It does seem strange. Did they know all about you or did they ask some questions to get useful information ( for a scam) out of you

nashville 12-06-2017 16:33

I hope you have got this good without a scam

RichardCoulter 13-06-2017 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcimedes (Post 35903027)
It does seem strange. Did they know all about you or did they ask some questions to get useful information ( for a scam) out of you

They knew all about me (though that could still be because of a hack).

They only asked for two letters from my password and then I got a text to my phone.

Apparently, after my PAYG balance is used up, any charge for non VM mobile calls will be collected via the direct debit used to pay for my broadband etc.

I really can't see the point in a 30 day contract. They can't force me to use my Virgin SIM card for free or chargeable call or from using another company at any time I want to and there are no changes involved if I don't call non Virgin mobiles.

Perhaps it's a retention tool for TV/Phone/BB as they know I rarely use it (although I will use it more now).

They also did a credit check on me.

RichardCoulter 17-06-2017 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken W (Post 35902956)
Read the small print very carefully

Turns out you were right Ken...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35903009)
I wasn't aware that Virgin Mobile were doing any unlimited data plans anymore.

So is it a residential mobile offer or a business mobile offer?

You were right Ben, VM no longer offer unlimited data.

After finding out that I was lied to and that it includes no data at all, I rang to complain. They will be listening to the call as it was recorded.

At the moment, I don't have a Smartphone, but they've agreed to give me the first month free and a discount of half price for six months by way of an apology and to meet me halfway.

I have no immediate plans to get a Smartphone, so it doesn't really matter to me, but this guy needs to be stopped from doing this again.

For some reason they have it down as a business mobile; does this make a difference?

I rarely use it, but when I do it's for both business and personal calls.

BenMcr 17-06-2017 22:33

Virgin Media Business have they're own Mobile service, so it is possible that some of their 'best offer' deals may be different.

Still no unlimited data on the upfront deals though https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.u...y/mobile-sims/

RichardCoulter 18-06-2017 17:25

Oh right. The phone was bought for me by a director of the company.

I assumed that it was a personal gift, but it looks like it was bought through the company. I can't ask him as he's died since, but it sounds like it might be better to leave things as they are. It did enable the company to keep in touch with me when out and about, so it is legitimate.

I was told that it was a rolling 30 day contract, but online and the call centre still refer to it as PAYG :confused: