Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Owner intial set up? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687417)

nick_f 02-05-2012 21:08

Owner intial set up?

Hi all got my superhub coming in two days and will give it a chance before "modem" mode!
I was hoping people that have successfully got theirs working could post there intial settings so i have a quick reference and for other new users, eg 150mbs, manual channel etc

Neo-Tech 02-05-2012 21:54

Re: Owner intial set up?

Change Wireless channel from Auto to 1, 6, or 11 depending on the level of channel congestion in your area. (Download inSSIDer if you want to see other router's channels around you.)

Wireless rate is best kept at 150Mbps. 300Mbps tends to bring about issues really.

Besides that, can't think of much else. Hope this helps!

nick_f 03-05-2012 20:16

Thanks for that, is your stable on those settings?

alwaysabear 03-05-2012 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_f (Post 35422979)

I have the same settings as neo tech and my connection is very stable just on the superhub. It really depends if you have contention in your area.
The only thing I have found is the wireless signal is not as strong as my stand alone router, but it is strong enough to work in my house.

smallclone 03-05-2012 21:50

I have 60MB connection

Channel 10 (quiet on InSSIDer)
145MBps

2.5Hz

I've had that setting at my best speed. Trouble is, on speedtest.net it's sometimes 60MB and sometimes 20MB

Completely hit and miss due to my area I suppose.

Neo-Tech 04-05-2012 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_f (Post 35422979)

Pretty much. Depends on local interference and congestion in my area. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35422988)
I have the same settings as neo tech and my connection is very stable just on the superhub. It really depends if you have contention in your area.
The only thing I have found is the wireless signal is not as strong as my stand alone router, but it is strong enough to work in my house.

Hmm, shockingly, I get better signal on the SuperHub than on my previous WRT160N, still not good enough to give me full 30Mbps download though. :( Unless it's my MacBook Pro, that somehow manages to get full speed anywhere in my house.

alwaysabear 04-05-2012 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo-Tech (Post 35423483)
Pretty much. Depends on local interference and congestion in my area. :)

Hmm, shockingly, I get better signal on the SuperHub than on my previous WRT160N, still not good enough to give me full 30Mbps download though. :( Unless it's my MacBook Pro, that somehow manages to get full speed anywhere in my house.

I am getting between 25mb-45mb wireless so pretty good I think , but of course it does depend what part of the house I am in.

Superblade7 05-05-2012 06:46

Nick,

I think it all depends on personal experience and what devices you have connected to it.

I've had my SH for over a year now and despite having to get it replaced at the end of last year because it became faulty, mine's been pretty reliable. In fairness the range isn't the greatest but meets my needs. The only thing it doesn't seem to like is my PS3 as that only ever seems to get about 5Mb max on wireless.

Like others have already mentioned, make sure you stick the wireless settings to 145Mbps / 2.4GHz. My wireless channel is still on auto but I'm lucky not to have much congestion so you may have to play around with that depending on you local area.

Hope it works well for you.