Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Cable to National Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33678456)

magpieman 07-06-2011 18:58

Cable to National Service

Hi

We are moving house from a cable area to a national service area, it is in the same telephone area, the first person I spoke to said I could take my phone number with me but now I have been told I can't. Who is right?

Thanks for any replies.

magpieman 08-06-2011 09:37

Re: Cable to National Service

Anyone?

pabscars 08-06-2011 12:18

I don't know for sure but I would imagine you can transfer your number, the way I look at it is, if you can port a number from BT to virgin cable and back again, why should'nt you be able to transfer it from virgin cable to national.

The only advice I can give is make sure you dont cancel your cable phone service untill you have a line working in your new house, because if you cancel prematurely there is a possibility your number could get snapped up by someone else.

This nearly happened to me a while ago.

Are you planning on using National for your broadband as well, only I'm sure I've read on here that it's not much cop.

I could be wrong though

nodrogd 08-06-2011 18:02

Having read previous posts on this subject it looks like an absolute minefield. The ongoing problem seems to be that Virgin areas and BT exchange areas don't match. I can't see that this would be a problem if you're moving to an area with an unbundled BT exchange, but if the local exchange is BT national maybe there would be a porting problem? Don't know. Hopfully one of the techies will pick this up for you.

Chris 08-06-2011 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabscars (Post 35254078)
Are you planning on using National for your broadband as well, only I'm sure I've read on here that it's not much cop.

I could be wrong though

You are wrong ;)

It has had congestion issues in the past, but I've had reliable, fast connections at all times of day for quite some time now. Plus I've never hit any kind of cap or throttle even in periods of heavy downloading.

magpieman 09-06-2011 09:33

Thanks for the replies guys, I am going to phone again today to check I will probably get a different answer this time. :rolleyes:

We really want to keep our phone number if possible. The annoying thing is that next door but one can get cable services but because ours is a small private road they didn't lay the cables so we have to have National Service. So I will lose my TV service and I love the V+. :mad:

dilli-theclaw 09-06-2011 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35254321)
You are wrong ;)

It has had congestion issues in the past, but I've had reliable, fast connections at all times of day for quite some time now. Plus I've never hit any kind of cap or throttle even in periods of heavy downloading.

Indeed, when it's working all is fine here too.

Although mine has just been out for three weeks.

As for porting the phone number - when I moved from cable to national I couldn't do it.

That was here in sunny Bedfordshire though.

pabscars 09-06-2011 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 (Post 35254581)
Indeed, when it's working all is fine here too.

Although mine has just been out for three weeks.

As for porting the phone number - when I moved from cable to national I couldn't do it.

That was here in sunny Bedfordshire though.

In that case it may be benefitial for the OP to move to an alternative service provider where porting the number across shouldnt be a problem. I went from BT to Virgin to Sky and managed to retain my number each time.

My wife is very attached to our phone number and would sooner get a divorce than risk loosing it :D:D, so I know where your coming from.