Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Connecting virgin tv to tv’s in my lounge and bedroom. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33643116)

lilbow 16-12-2008 22:44

Connecting virgin tv to tv’s in my lounge and bedroom.

I recently disconnected sky and got size L tv on offer from virgin;
My sky box was connected to the tv in my bedroom through a coax cable that connect from behind the box to a socket fitted on the wall, where another coax runs from this socket to the tv in my bedroom.

I have set up my virgin tv but I cant get it to work in my bedroom tv through the same connection I used for my sky.
Please any ideas in resolving this issue .

daveetwo 17-12-2008 12:00

Re: Connecting virgin tv to tv’s in my lounge and bedroom.

If no one comes up with an alternative idea you might consider a video sender.

RamJet 17-12-2008 12:07

don't think sky connection will work

why not connect the spare RF output ( if you have a V+ box) to the co-ax that runs to bedroom

you could also add an RF booster to get TV all round my home

add a Tri-Star video sender from eg Argos for an additional video channel (or just for RF remote signalling you've got a wireless internet router and the channels interfer)

NB - think atm you can't use HDMI as it knocks out the additional RF channel - so you probably need to connect the main TV via scart not HDMI cable

spiderplant 17-12-2008 20:48

A Sky "Magic Eye" won't work for remotely controlling cable boxes, but you should be able to just view the STB output down the coax OK. Have you tried retuning the upstairs TV?

As RamJet says, if you have a V+ box set to HDMI or Component, then the RF output is disabled.

lilbow 17-12-2008 22:46

I don't have V+ box, got the basic box which is connected to my tv with a scart lead.
The coax cable from my bedroom TV terminates in a white box fitted in my lounge, i connect a coax cable from this box to the spare RF output on the Virgin box. but it won't work, though this is how i used it on my basic sky box.
I have tried retuning the bedroom TV but that doesn't help. :mad:

RamJet 18-12-2008 08:27

? try connecting the main TV (retune) direct to the spare co-ax

? read manual for STB - any enable extra RF output setting needed

? have you removed the sky equip

lilbow 20-12-2008 03:17

The RF output on the virgin samsung (SMT-2100c) VBOX do not work, and there is no manual on how to set it to work,
I have just tried to connect the STB to theTV in my lounge through the RF output with a coax but i can't get any signal, i even used the coax from my VCR but it won't work.
Any ideas on how to resolve this please

AndyCambs 20-12-2008 09:17

You could simply get an extra STB from Virgin which would mean that all channels would be available independently on each television for a nominal monthly payment?

JethroUK 20-12-2008 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbow (Post 34700986)
The RF output on the virgin samsung (SMT-2100c) VBOX do not work, ..

It has to work

If you've definately retuned your TV and it doesn't work - you need to call them for a replacement

RamJet 20-12-2008 12:42

well the other way is to get a VideoSender eg the Tri Star one from Argos ( about £25)

this uses a SCART splitter ie 1/2 signal to main TV 1/2 to the SENDER unit

then put RECEIVER unit next to the bedroom TV and connect via Scart

nb : most if not all infra-red remote controls seem to work on the Tri Star incl V+ codes

nb : if you have a b/g wireless router it may interefer with the wireless Video channel as apparemtly uses same or thereabouts frequencies

( anyone got a work-around for this prob ? )

LondonRoad 20-12-2008 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamJet (Post 34701101)
well the other way is to get a VideoSender eg the Tri Star one from Argos ( about £25)

this uses a SCART splitter ie 1/2 signal to main TV 1/2 to the SENDER unit

then put RECEIVER unit next to the bedroom TV and connect via Scart

nb : most if not all infra-red remote controls seem to work on the Tri Star incl V+ codes

nb : if you have a b/g wireless router it may interefer with the wireless Video channel as apparemtly uses same or thereabouts frequencies

( anyone got a work-around for this prob ? )

You usually have a choice of channels on the AV sender/receiver. If there is interference with your wireless lan changing the AV channel will sort it. You may interfere with a neightbours set up depending on your neighbourhood. Alternatively change the channel on your wireless Access point or router. ;)

NB. Using the AV sender/receiver won't give you access to the epg.

lilbow 20-12-2008 18:06

I think i will go down the route of video/digi sender,as I ve just switched on my sky box and discovered Zone Reality and thriller is free on sky, which is not available on virgin size L pack.
I use a wireless BB router and GAP phone at home, so i need a digisender that can send signals from sky box Virgin box and my DVD to both TVs in my house but wont interfer with my house phone and bb wireless router.
Any ideas and recommendations please.

nodrogd 20-12-2008 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbow (Post 34700986)
The RF output on the virgin samsung (SMT-2100c) VBOX do not work, and there is no manual on how to set it to work,
I have just tried to connect the STB to theTV in my lounge through the RF output with a coax but i can't get any signal, i even used the coax from my VCR but it won't work.
Any ideas on how to resolve this please

The RF out on the SMT-2100C does work. I have been using it to run my spare set in the kitchen for the past 2 years. It works perfectly at the end of 20ft of high quality coax with no degredation.

lilbow 20-12-2008 20:22

I think i will go down the route of video/digi sender,as I ve just switched on my sky box and discovered Zone Reality and thriller is free on sky, which is not available on virgin size L pack.
I use a wireless BB router and GAP phone at home, so i need a digisender that can send signals from sky box Virgin box and my DVD to both TVs in my house but wont interfer with my house phone and bb wireless router.
Any ideas and recommendations please.

nodrogd 21-12-2008 12:43

Could be the RF modulator on your STB has packed up, which is not unusual.