Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   New Build Woes (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704691)

Onramp 28-04-2017 23:52

Re: New Build Woes

No signs of progress is not the same thing as no progress.

I feel a bit guilty of asking Steve for progress updates myself to be honest - he's being helpful of his own volition, which is appreciated, but could also be annoying if people use that as an excuse to bug him about it.

"Ever" is a long time. If there's a cabinet base there, you can be pretty sure there will be a fibre going into it at some point in the near future. Otherwise, the money wouldn't have been spent to install the cabinet itself.

MrIca 29-04-2017 00:17

Openreach have the benefit of their network probably already being incredibly close to the development.

Some things look easy to network planners in an office but turn out not to be. You need to think in terms of months with anything to do with civils. Digging ducts is troublesome-it's common to come across all manner of issues that can cause not much to happen for weeks on end. Even trying to push cables through existing ducts is hard as they can get blocked. Modern networks such as Virgin's and Openreach's FTTC network also rely on power to be booked up. So then you've got a completely different company that may have their own issues and delays.

You say in your post "it's not like we're talking about digging up roads here". How do you know that? How do you think they get the fibre to your road in the first place. It's got to link into the existing network in some way, I don't know the area but the existing network could be miles away. There could have been loads of digging for all you know!

pip08456 29-04-2017 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan.stevenson (Post 35896727)

I admit to being a worrier and a little obsessive about the details of these things. At the back of my mind, I still can't shake the fear that something will go wrong and we'll be stuck with ADSL forever.

There fibre pull can be delayed for serveral reasons not least your local council and in some cases, the highways agentcy.

Steve will update you when he has news.

weesteev 12-05-2017 21:15

Hi Duncan

Cabinet is now live I have been informed, have you got an install booked yet?

Cheers

Steve

duncan.stevenson 12-05-2017 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35898575)
Hi Duncan

Cabinet is now live I have been informed, have you got an install booked yet?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Our house (11) isn't on the online checker yet. Is there someone I can call to work round this and arrange an installation?

Duncan

weesteev 12-05-2017 21:38

This is a group deal site, did the sales team on site put a referral through for you previously?

duncan.stevenson 12-05-2017 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35898579)
This is a group deal site, did the sales team on site put a referral through for you previously?

Not that I'm aware of. Everything I've had from Cala has been "virgin's problem, contact them ASAP". No literature or anything beyond telling us Virgin is coming.

I'm on holiday at the moment so I guess it's possible they've put something through my door in the last 6 days?

weesteev 12-05-2017 21:54

Give me a shout when you get back Duncan and we will get you sorted out.

Steve

duncan.stevenson 12-05-2017 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35898581)

Steve

I'm happy to have this conversation ASAP if it gives us an earlier installation date, but we'll be home Sunday morning.

MonkeyMagic 13-05-2017 09:46

Hi Steve, we haven't had anything through our doors yet. Should we just phone up?

pip08456 13-05-2017 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic (Post 35898645)
Hi Steve, we haven't had anything through our doors yet. Should we just phone up?

He's not back from holiday until tomorrow. Do you not read before you post?

MonkeyMagic 13-05-2017 11:48

I was responding to Steve not Duncan who is back from holiday on Sunday. Please read before you post

duncan.stevenson 14-05-2017 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35898581)

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm home now, so happy to go through the process of arranging an installation. Can't wait to get set up! :)

Thanks again for keeping us up to date!

Duncan

duncan.stevenson 31-05-2017 12:12

Well we finally got an installation date through the store. Not convinced the deals for new-build owners are particularly good, and it didn't seem any cheaper than online, but honestly I'm just glad to have a date, even if it isn't happening until next Friday!

Biggest shame is that VIVID300 doesn't appear to be available (despite being available at another property on our street that was already active) but hopefully it'll come in time. Settling for 200 Gamer for now.

Can't wait!

MrIca 07-06-2017 09:40

You have really high expectations! You need to reign it in a bit!

Next Friday is pretty quick, considering you've only just been given the date.