Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   New Build Woes (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704691)

duncan.stevenson 30-03-2017 20:27

New Build Woes

I recently moved into a brand new home which is wired for Virgin Media. There have been some delays getting people activated, and I'm being told that power needs to be put into the new cabinet (or something to that effect). This is apparently going to happen, but timescales are non-existing through official channels and all of the information I have received has come third hand through CALA Homes sales team.

I was wondering if anyone on the inside had any knowledge about what's happening and how long I can expect it to take. We're currently on ADSL and receiving 1.7Mb/s, which is basically unusable. We moved from about 60Mb FTTC service, and cannot wait to get activated on 300/20 when available.

The other issue we have is that when I go onto the Virgin Media checker, our house number doesn't come up. Only number 1, 3, 5, 7, and 8. Number 8 has active services, and 1, 3, 5, and 7 are in the build stage according to Virgin, but coming soon. My concern is that 1, 3, 5, and 7 are the properties on the street which aren't even occupied yet, so why they're listed already but the other homes in the street which were built first are not (except 8).

Anyone who can offer some guidelines on what's actually happening and how long these things take would be my new best friend. This was the most recent update passed on from Virgin, which makes very little sense to me as it's pretty jargon-y:

Quote:

The Power Meter has been requested to fall behind the Power Connection, once this is in we can then call of the Telco Mux Cabinet which sits next to the existing cab and then get it all tested & certified by an electrician.
The fibre is in place already as I asked for this to be pulled in a couple of months ago – however it’s not spliced as we require the Telco Mux to be in situ.
We have some Headend works & testing to undertake once the fibre is spliced then once we get the go ahead we can get the 2 cabinets within the Cala development cabled and made live.
No idea what much of that means.

If anyone can help, our postcode is FK2 8SL. I'd really appreciate it!

weesteev 30-03-2017 21:14

Re: New Build Woes

It depends when the power connection is due, I will chase with the team and get an idea for you. Normally a few weeks worth of works once power goes in to getting meter fitted, cabinet activated and fibre tested. Will get back to you within a day or so with something concrete.

duncan.stevenson 30-03-2017 21:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35892570)
It depends when the power connection is due, I will chase with the team and get an idea for you. Normally a few weeks worth of works once power goes in to getting meter fitted, cabinet activated and fibre tested. Will get back to you within a day or so with something concrete.

I'd really appreciate it. Naturally I want to get Virgin ASAP, but even if it's going to be a few months I'd rather know that and prepare myself for that period of useless internet!

Is the lack of actual addresses something to be concerned with? We're 11, but there are other houses on the street which have been occupied for months before we moved in in February.

CALA have told me that this problem has been ongoing for months and months (they explained that there were issues when we bought the house back in September/October time) but she told me that she hoped it would have been sorted by the time we moved in (Feb).

Once again, many many thanks for offering to help!

weesteev 30-03-2017 21:41

Dont worry about the addresses, nothing will get released until the fibre cabinet goes live anyway. I will get some more info tomorrow and get back to you.

weesteev 31-03-2017 12:11

Hi Duncan, power is going in today which is the trickiest part of the process, we are looking at a matter of weeks for completion here. Will drop you an update when we are moving to final activation.

HTH

duncan.stevenson 31-03-2017 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35892638)
Hi Duncan, power is going in today which is the trickiest part of the process, we are looking at a matter of weeks for completion here. Will drop you an update when we are moving to final activation.

HTH

That's awesome! Thanks for that.

I cannot wait to get activated. We'll literally be popping the champagne!

duncan.stevenson 01-04-2017 08:07

Do you know if the installation of power was completed successfully yesterday?

I just want to temper my enthusiasm in case something went wrong yesterday!

duncan.stevenson 03-04-2017 19:00

I have another question for either Steve or anyone else in the know. I saw the PDF on Virgin Media's website about new build installations and what it should all look like. I'm rather concerned that what we have doesn't really match what's on that site. I'm curious to know what the installation will look like and ensure that it's all going to go smoothly if/when it finally becomes available.

Here are photos:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/04/11.jpg

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/04/12.jpg

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/04/13.jpg

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/04/14.jpg

So in the above there is no brown box as you'd expect, and it looks much too low to even have a brown box. Furthermore, there is no black plate at ground level, only a blue pull rope into the ground, which is quite taught so presumably attached to something on the other end?

There is a little black square on the ground nearby, but not in the location that the PDF suggests - how will this even match up? It looks to be quite a distance away, if it's even part of the VM infrustructure?

This is on the outside of our Living room wall which has a media plate on it, which I assume has the Virgin master socket / main cable point?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/04/15.jpg

This shows the media plate, with the BT Master Socket along from it. The top part of the media plate has a BT extension and one dead socket, which I'm assuming will be the VM phone?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/04/16.jpg

Our cupboard under the stairs has a blank VM plate, which I assume will be converted to a real socket for the modem, as this is where that will live. There is another one in the master bedroom, presumably for TV, though we won't use that.

Sorry for being so paranoid about this. I honestly think my husband and I are suffering psychological damage waiting on internet, as our current connection is so useless. I'm nervous that something, somewhere will go wrong, and we'll end up with either no Virgin services, or a botched installation if CALA haven't done it properly!

Many thanks again!

weesteev 03-04-2017 22:33

Hello again, firstly the power did go in... not many steps to go now but there is a rather large pull of fibre required to the site, will keep you posted how the work goes.

As for your property, the internal cable leaving the building should be housed in an omni box, we have white versions to match the render of the building so you wont need a brown box. The install engineer will fit this for you and tidy up the external cabling. The rope you can see disappearing into the stones will lead down a 2" duct and into the main distribution network cabinet nearby (well as far as the chamber at the cabinet anyway). Don't worry about the end of the cable, it will all be trimmed back and tidied up.

*Edit* That black box you refer to is actually an inspection point for the drains in your garden, it looks like the ground worker hasn't fitted the termination box as per the specification, this is quite common but not an issue.

It doesn't look like our standard euro module units have been used if we have been put in the media plate, looks like our connection is the top row (bottom row is terrestrial and satellite), if that connection has been put in for us then we wont use it, we will change it out for one of our branded euro model sockets.

The VM branded blanking plate is actually your master phone point, in some regions we get the developer to wire both a master BT socket and our master Telco into a double gang backbox, its a much tidier end finish and makes switching lines easier as well for installs.

Hope that helps, drop me a message if you need any more help and I will keep you updated with the progress of the fibre node build for the site.

duncan.stevenson 03-04-2017 22:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35893157)
Hope that helps, drop me a message if you need any more help and I will keep you updated with the progress of the fibre node build for the site.

Hi, and thank you again for the information. Hopefully, the fibre pull won't take too long!

So in the living room does that mean we'll be left with a dead socket on the media plate and a separate VM point elsewhere on the wall, or will the section on the media plate be swapped out?

It sounds like you're saying that CALA hasn't put actual coax for broadband into the cupboard under the stairs, only a phone line? This seems a bit pointless given that the only useful thing to have in there is a modem, not a phone? It's disappointing from CALA as it's not what they explained to me, and we have our router and server in there. Is there literally just phone connection going to that cupboard, or does coax go there as well for the purposes of a router? Would it be easy to pull an additional coax into that cupboard if it's not there already?

EDIT: I think I misinterpreted your message - I had a look behind that blanking plate and the full siamese cable with coax and phone was in there, so I assume that means the master phone socket AND a coax for the model will be there. Fingers crossed anyway!

I double checked the blank plate in the master bedroom and this actually isn't branded (I thought it was identical) but they told me it was Virgin.

Sorry again for the bombardment! I really do appreciate your help!

weesteev 04-04-2017 17:44

It sounds like it has just been wired to that single point in the cupboard, normally I would have a feed to the media plate from that central point as well but that may not have been done in this case. Is there 2 coaxial cables and a phone cable in that backbox in he cupboard?

duncan.stevenson 04-04-2017 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35893264)
It sounds like it has just been wired to that single point in the cupboard, normally I would have a feed to the media plate from that central point as well but that may not have been done in this case. Is there 2 coaxial cables and a phone cable in that backbox in the cupboard?

Behind the faceplate in the cupboard (and behind the faceplate in our bedroom) looks like the same sort of 'duo' (siamese?) cable that is outside. Here's a photo of behind the faceplate in the cupboard, but the bedroom is identical.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2017/04/8.jpg

Sounds like we've got a very non-standard installation / cabling?

Onramp 04-04-2017 18:14

Maybe that's an internal cable which runs only between that cupboard and upstairs. The builder just used siamese cable "in case". Just speculating.

weesteev 04-04-2017 18:50

Not quite sure what has happened here Duncan, will have a chat with the local build engineer to see how they have wired these and get back to you, ideally both are wired back to a single point somewhere but looks like this may be non standard. Some developers still use Siamese internally which is a bit pointless now (more difficult to install as well).

Don't worry though, none of this will make a huge difference to your install. Will drop by site myself sometime if needs be to make sure that everything goes OK for you.

Will keep you posted on the fibre work ;)

duncan.stevenson 04-04-2017 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35893285)
Not quite sure what has happened here Duncan, will have a chat with the local build engineer to see how they have wired these and get back to you, ideally both are wired back to a single point somewhere but looks like this may be non standard. Some developers still use Siamese internally which is a bit pointless now (more difficult to install as well).

Don't worry though, none of this will make a huge difference to your install. Will drop by site myself sometime if needs be to make sure that everything goes OK for you.

Will keep you posted on the fibre work ;)

Great, appreciate all the help! Kettle will be on if you're ever on site - maybe even a wee dram if I can tempt you! ;)

As long as we can get the modem in the cupboard and the telephone extension loop connected up I'm happy. Not planning on TV at the moment anyway!

duncan.stevenson 11-04-2017 08:01

Good morning Steve, just wondering if there'd be any progress made in the last week?

Is there an approximate timescale available yet?

Hope you had a good weekend :)

weesteev 18-04-2017 09:33

Have been off for the past week Duncan, will get an update for you this week.

duncan.stevenson 18-04-2017 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35895218)
Have been off for the past week Duncan, will get an update for you this week.

Oh, sorry to hassle you. Hope you had a lovely week off! :)

MonkeyMagic 18-04-2017 16:38

Hi, I am moving into this estate as well in the next couple of weeks and I'm terrified I won't get a decent broadband speed! My kids will be a nightmare!!! :-)
Will keep an eye on this forum!

duncan.stevenson 19-04-2017 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic (Post 35895333)
Hi, I am moving into this estate as well in the next couple of weeks and I'm terrified I won't get a decent broadband speed! My kids will be a nightmare!!! :-)
Will keep an eye on this forum!

Broadband speeds here are atrocious on ADSL. We currently get about 2Mb/s. Our neighbours are also struggling as things like Netflix just don't work well at all.

We use Sonos all over our home which plays music from streaming services. If we're playing music and some device starts backing up or updating itself (as is common these days) the music stops. It's truly unbearable.

I'll drop you a PM, it'd be good to get to know some folk in the neighbourhood!

duncan.stevenson 19-04-2017 14:08

I just saw a couple guys install a large new cabinet next to a smaller existing cabinet on Jardine Avenue. I had a brief chat with them and they confirmed it was a VM cabinet going in, and that power was also going in today (though I thought that had been done - who knows!) but they weren't sure whether there was any fibre here yet.

The seemed to think that it wouldn't be long now. I can only hope!

weesteev 20-04-2017 21:03

They were our contractors installing the MSAN (Telco) cabinet, the power feed is in to the smaller cabinet already, it is then cross connected to the larger cabinet. The fibre isn't in yet, there are issues off site that prevent us from pulling the cable in to activate the cabinets but it is in progress ;)

Will keep you posted.

duncan.stevenson 20-04-2017 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35895682)
They were our contractors installing the MSAN (Telco) cabinet, the power feed is in to the smaller cabinet already, it is then cross connected to the larger cabinet. The fibre isn't in yet, there are issues off site that prevent us from pulling the cable in to activate the cabinets but it is in progress ;)

Will keep you posted.

Thanks for the update! Hopefully the issues aren't too severe and don't delay things too much! 🤞🏼

MonkeyMagic 28-04-2017 14:54

Hi,

Any update on the fibre pull?

pip08456 28-04-2017 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic (Post 35896673)
Hi,

Any update on the fibre pull?

I should imagine weesteev will post here when there is more news as promised.

duncan.stevenson 28-04-2017 15:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35896678)
I should imagine weesteev will post here when there is more news as promised.

I don't think it's unreasonable to imagine that in 7 days something might have happened.

Trust me, any scrap of news (even if that is "no news") is welcome when you're living with, or have the prospect of living with, useless internet!

pip08456 28-04-2017 17:48

It's not unusual to imagine anything so if it makes you feel better keep on hounding weesteev.

Or

wait until he has news for you.

jb66 28-04-2017 20:44

Chill guys, he is posting here on his own time

MrIca 28-04-2017 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan.stevenson (Post 35896681)
I don't think it's unreasonable to imagine that in 7 days something might have happened.

Trust me, any scrap of news (even if that is "no news") is welcome when you're living with, or have the prospect of living with, useless internet!

It is in the world of big companies, telecoms and subcontractors. Things just don't happen anywhere near as quickly as you seem to think they do.

duncan.stevenson 28-04-2017 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrIca (Post 35896725)
It is in the world of big companies, telecoms and subcontractors. Things just don't happen anywhere near as quickly as you seem to think they do.

Haha, I know! It would seem you're correct. Though I don't think it's too much to ask for a big company like Virgin to complete on time. There must be many people on the development who didn't have the option of Virgin when they moved in, so won't bother to switch when it launches. Many will be in a contract, so won't switch for at least 12/18/24 months at a minimum. It just seems like a poorly thought out rollout.

Openreach had their network connected up from day one. It just seems like a no-brainer from a business perspective. Also, bear in mind that this saga has been ongoing since before I reserved the home in September last year. The delay was highlighted to me then, but it was anticipated that the issues would likely be resolved by the time we moved in in February. That's more than 6 months delay for rollout into a brand new development - we're not talking about digging up roads here.

Anyway, I appreciate Steve's updates and input, and fully accept that he's doing so on his own time and under his own steam. My assumption is that he's a busy man and probably doesn't keep track of every thread he's offered advice on. A small prompt for an update I hope isn't seen as harassment or bombardment, though I apologise if that's the case. I'm certainly not aggrieved by him - quite the contrary, he's been a great source of information and has offered, to some extent, some assurance that we'll get Virgin eventually!

I admit to being a worrier and a little obsessive about the details of these things. At the back of my mind, I still can't shake the fear that something will go wrong and we'll be stuck with ADSL forever.

Onramp 28-04-2017 23:52

No signs of progress is not the same thing as no progress.

I feel a bit guilty of asking Steve for progress updates myself to be honest - he's being helpful of his own volition, which is appreciated, but could also be annoying if people use that as an excuse to bug him about it.

"Ever" is a long time. If there's a cabinet base there, you can be pretty sure there will be a fibre going into it at some point in the near future. Otherwise, the money wouldn't have been spent to install the cabinet itself.

MrIca 29-04-2017 00:17

Openreach have the benefit of their network probably already being incredibly close to the development.

Some things look easy to network planners in an office but turn out not to be. You need to think in terms of months with anything to do with civils. Digging ducts is troublesome-it's common to come across all manner of issues that can cause not much to happen for weeks on end. Even trying to push cables through existing ducts is hard as they can get blocked. Modern networks such as Virgin's and Openreach's FTTC network also rely on power to be booked up. So then you've got a completely different company that may have their own issues and delays.

You say in your post "it's not like we're talking about digging up roads here". How do you know that? How do you think they get the fibre to your road in the first place. It's got to link into the existing network in some way, I don't know the area but the existing network could be miles away. There could have been loads of digging for all you know!

pip08456 29-04-2017 00:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan.stevenson (Post 35896727)

I admit to being a worrier and a little obsessive about the details of these things. At the back of my mind, I still can't shake the fear that something will go wrong and we'll be stuck with ADSL forever.

There fibre pull can be delayed for serveral reasons not least your local council and in some cases, the highways agentcy.

Steve will update you when he has news.

weesteev 12-05-2017 21:15

Hi Duncan

Cabinet is now live I have been informed, have you got an install booked yet?

Cheers

Steve

duncan.stevenson 12-05-2017 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35898575)
Hi Duncan

Cabinet is now live I have been informed, have you got an install booked yet?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Our house (11) isn't on the online checker yet. Is there someone I can call to work round this and arrange an installation?

Duncan

weesteev 12-05-2017 21:38

This is a group deal site, did the sales team on site put a referral through for you previously?

duncan.stevenson 12-05-2017 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35898579)
This is a group deal site, did the sales team on site put a referral through for you previously?

Not that I'm aware of. Everything I've had from Cala has been "virgin's problem, contact them ASAP". No literature or anything beyond telling us Virgin is coming.

I'm on holiday at the moment so I guess it's possible they've put something through my door in the last 6 days?

weesteev 12-05-2017 21:54

Give me a shout when you get back Duncan and we will get you sorted out.

Steve

duncan.stevenson 12-05-2017 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35898581)

Steve

I'm happy to have this conversation ASAP if it gives us an earlier installation date, but we'll be home Sunday morning.

MonkeyMagic 13-05-2017 09:46

Hi Steve, we haven't had anything through our doors yet. Should we just phone up?

pip08456 13-05-2017 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic (Post 35898645)
Hi Steve, we haven't had anything through our doors yet. Should we just phone up?

He's not back from holiday until tomorrow. Do you not read before you post?

MonkeyMagic 13-05-2017 11:48

I was responding to Steve not Duncan who is back from holiday on Sunday. Please read before you post

duncan.stevenson 14-05-2017 08:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by weesteev (Post 35898581)

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm home now, so happy to go through the process of arranging an installation. Can't wait to get set up! :)

Thanks again for keeping us up to date!

Duncan

duncan.stevenson 31-05-2017 12:12

Well we finally got an installation date through the store. Not convinced the deals for new-build owners are particularly good, and it didn't seem any cheaper than online, but honestly I'm just glad to have a date, even if it isn't happening until next Friday!

Biggest shame is that VIVID300 doesn't appear to be available (despite being available at another property on our street that was already active) but hopefully it'll come in time. Settling for 200 Gamer for now.

Can't wait!

MrIca 07-06-2017 09:40

You have really high expectations! You need to reign it in a bit!

Next Friday is pretty quick, considering you've only just been given the date.

duncan.stevenson 07-06-2017 10:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrIca (Post 35902008)
You have really high expectations! You need to reign it in a bit!

Next Friday is pretty quick, considering you've only just been given the date.

Haha you're right. I'm just desperate! Still... only two days to go now. Some guys came to pull through the cable so hopefully there'll be no problems on a Friday morning.

So excited!

alanbjames 11-06-2017 17:03

A friend of mine lives in a street where the opposite side from where he lives is fibered but his side isnt.

He contacted virgin about having his side connected and was told that the council refuse them to allow them to close part of the road and dig it up because its on the main driving test route and they do not want to allow disruption.

DJSADERS 11-06-2017 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan.stevenson (Post 35902012)
Haha you're right. I'm just desperate! Still... only two days to go now. Some guys came to pull through the cable so hopefully there'll be no problems on a Friday morning.

So excited!

So how did it go.... You've gone quiet on this one...

duncan.stevenson 12-06-2017 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJSADERS (Post 35902882)
So how did it go.... You've gone quiet on this one...

Ok, so we got installed on Friday. Guy seemed very unsure and took over two hours, but we have fibre now! Very happy with the broadband. TV probably we won't keep, but it was one of those deals where it's cheaper to have it than not! 🙄

My only slight concern is that he unwired our BT master socket and used that for the Virgin socket to maintain the extension wiring that was connected to the BT socket. Not sure that's standard - the BT cable now routes via the brown Virgin box externally. Not sure what's going on inside.

But I'm happy with the speed. It's a real relief to have first world internet!

DJSADERS 12-06-2017 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan.stevenson (Post 35902958)
Ok, so we got installed on Friday. Guy seemed very unsure and took over two hours, but we have fibre now! Very happy with the broadband. TV probably we won't keep, but it was one of those deals where it's cheaper to have it than not! 🙄

My only slight concern is that he unwired our BT master socket and used that for the Virgin socket to maintain the extension wiring that was connected to the BT socket. Not sure that's standard - the BT cable now routes via the brown Virgin box externally. Not sure what's going on inside.

But I'm happy with the speed. It's a real relief to have first world internet!

That sounds good, as for the BT socket this is standard in new builds, they extension wiring always seems to be wired to the BT socket rather than the Virgin one.

As for the time, i'm sure that's because he had to work out how the wiring was done as no plans are provided to the installers... they have to work it out on the job

duncan.stevenson 12-06-2017 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJSADERS (Post 35903008)
That sounds good, as for the BT socket this is standard in new builds, they extension wiring always seems to be wired to the BT socket rather than the Virgin one.

As for the time, i'm sure that's because he had to work out how the wiring was done as no plans are provided to the installers... they have to work it out on the job

He was very pleasant, so no real complaints about the installer.

I'd have thought VM would install their own master socket and then just attach the extension wiring to that instead of the BT socket. Not sure what I'd do if I wanted, e.g. a BT phone line and Virgin internet. I guess the BT guy would have the open the Virgin box and reconnect the BT cable to the master socket?

Normally when you have a phone line already, they won't send an engineer, so I don't know how this would work.

It's sort of moot, as I can't see us moving away from Virgin given how abhorrent the ADSL service is in this area. Still, I'd like to think it's been done properly.

MrIca 12-06-2017 15:11

He's taken over your BT socket so you'll need an installer to visit if you do switch to the Openreach network in future. But this is fairly standard practice. People don't want two different master sockets, it makes more sense just to have the one and then to use that for whatever service you have at the time.

Onramp 12-06-2017 18:16

I didn't think anyone except Openreach was meant to be touching the wiring that leads into the back of an NTE5.

MrIca 13-06-2017 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onramp (Post 35903078)
I didn't think anyone except Openreach was meant to be touching the wiring that leads into the back of an NTE5.

Welcome to the real world though. It's very, very common.

jb66 13-06-2017 12:21

In a new build if the builders pre wire the house with only one master socket then whoever uses the master socket first owns it

duncan.stevenson 13-06-2017 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35903176)
In a new build if the builders pre wire the house with only one master socket then whoever uses the master socket first owns it

Yeah it definitely seems like every installation is different, and the poor engineers have to work it out as they go along. You’d think home builders would work with Virgin and install everything in a standardised way - ditto the BT stuff.

Cala seem to have pre-wired everything, including there being a telephone socket that was NOT part of the extension wiring (there’s another phone socket next to it that IS on the extension loop) that was next to the living room Virgin port. I’d have assumed that the Virgin socket would be that one but perhaps the extension wiring couldn’t be connected to it.

I feel for the engineers as every day must be a new obstacle!