Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Garden Bridge Cancelled (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705267)

Taf 14-08-2017 14:09

Garden Bridge Cancelled

A £200m plan to build a bridge covered with trees across the River Thames in central London has officially been abandoned.

A review of the project said £37.4m had been spent and it would cost taxpayers £46.4m if it was cancelled.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40921373

£37.4m spent on what? Consultants of course..... :mad::mad::mad::td::td::td:

denphone 14-08-2017 14:17

Re: Garden Bridge Cancelled

A obscene waste of money.:(

Osem 14-08-2017 14:25

London never needed a vanity project garden bridge, what it's needed for decades is at least 1 new bridge/crossing east of Tower Bridge. Maybe it'll happen one day...

Osem 15-08-2017 09:20

Just to add, I reckon there ought to be an inquiry into how a process such as this can cost c. £50m before a single hole is dug. I'm sure a lot of consultants have been involved but it's a hell of a lot of money and I'd love to know what it all went on. :shrug:

RizzyKing 15-08-2017 11:27

Public funds were used for this fiasco and the public has a right to know exactly where those funds disappeared to and that should happen with every pound of public funds with some recourse on the politicians that routinely pee it up any wall and those company's that make ridiculous profits from it often with little or no real work done for the money.

heero_yuy 15-08-2017 11:43

Quote:

we must insist that the lake of public cash already drained into consultants’ fees and building full-scale prototypes is repaid.
Source

FGS full scale prototypes? What happened to computer modelling.:rolleyes:

Osem 15-08-2017 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35912625)
Source

FGS full scale prototypes? What happened to computer modelling.:rolleyes:

It was too cheap?... Grrr...

Mr K 15-08-2017 15:03

I blame Corbyn - surely, must be, somehow. Surprised he's not been mentioned already ;)

heero_yuy 15-08-2017 17:24

I can just hear it:

"I say old boy there's a fantastic contract up in London to build a kind of bridgy thing covered in greenery. You only need to make some kind of model thingy in a quarry, spoof up some plans and submit the invoice for £millions. Nobody checks and they pay out on the dot. Absolute cinch, Bolly's on you."

:D

Osem 15-08-2017 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35912699)
I can just hear it:

"I say old boy there's a fantastic contract up in London to build a kind of bridgy thing covered in greenery. You only need to make some kind of model thingy in a quarry, spoof up some plans and submit the invoice for £millions. Nobody checks and they pay out on the dot. Absolute cinch, Bolly's on you."

:D

Wonder what Joanna Lumley thinks about this huge waste of money.

heero_yuy 15-08-2017 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35912700)
Wonder what Joanna Lumley thinks about this huge waste of money.

Pass the Bolly and where's the player's got to?

Matth 16-08-2017 01:02

Incredible how so much could have been spent - on WHAT?

Were they allowed to push too far ahead into the design process.

Before actually getting into preparing to build, all that was really needed was a realistic cost estimate, and some concept designs of how the top will look, and what keeps it up, now that may have needed running some numbers etc.

Osem 16-08-2017 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matth (Post 35912765)
Incredible how so much could have been spent - on WHAT?

Were they allowed to push too far ahead into the design process.

Before actually getting into preparing to build, all that was really needed was a realistic cost estimate, and some concept designs of how the top will look, and what keeps it up, now that may have needed running some numbers etc.

Nice 'work' if you can get it eh?

Methinks there's a bit of a cosy 'club' involving politicians, celebrity luvvies and consultants who rather like supporting eachother...

Damien 16-08-2017 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35912590)
Just to add, I reckon there ought to be an inquiry into how a process such as this can cost c. £50m before a single hole is dug. I'm sure a lot of consultants have been involved but it's a hell of a lot of money and I'd love to know what it all went on. :shrug:

I assumed this was the result of an inquiry or investigation?

I didn't actually mind the Garden Bridge. Sort of a waste, London needs other bridges and Crossrail 2 more, but at least it was some sign of building something and a cool tourist spot. But it entered the UK infrastructure zone which means nothing ever gets done, people argue for years, spend a lot of money and then call the whole thing off. There were stupid plans to involve private funding and then questions over who would own the bridge (it should be London). Then it would be one of those areas that are privately owned but allow public access which is stupid and also means they could theoretically shut off access. Stupid all around.

That stupid sky lift thing was a waste of money too. No one wants to go from the joys of the O2 car park to the dazzling lights of the EXCEL centre. A piece of infrastructure designed solely, it seems, for event attendees who have a concert to go in the evening. You put cable cars where there is something to see, not over industrial land. I think they literally have a handful of regular users.

1andrew1 16-08-2017 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35912678)
I blame Corbyn - surely, must be, somehow. Surprised he's not been mentioned already ;)

No, definitely the fault of a Clinton. :)

Actually, the blame/credit (like the new Routemaster buses and the Emirates AirLine) was down to BoJo. He signed off on the preliminary funding. If the bridge's operational costs were self-funding then I'm sure it would have happened but because it looked loss-making and would always require a subsidy its chances in a cash-strapped GLA regardless of party looked slim.
But whilst BoJo's various ideas on paper did not make money, they have contributed to a more vibrant London which attracts tourists so doubtless the Garden Bridge would have done the same. But giving the contract to friendly architects outside regular tendering rules etc set the project up for a fall.