Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Virgin media email changes to g-mails look (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33697370)

Gavin-D 14-04-2014 09:17

Virgin media email changes to g-mails look

It appears virgin media's email service has changed its look overnight and is now the same design as what gmail is

Kushan 14-04-2014 10:50

Re: Virgin media email changes to g-mails look

Personally I wouldn't bother using an ISP's email service - it makes it that much harder to leave if you need/want to. I mean, why use Virgin's email that's just like gmail when you can just use gmail?

Kabaal 14-04-2014 10:52

Agreed. The last ISP email i used was btinternet years ago when on 8mb, they binned it about 6 months after leaving them so have been with gmail ever since.

Stuart 14-04-2014 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35688589)
Agreed. The last ISP email i used was btinternet years ago when on 8mb, they binned it about 6 months after leaving them so have been with gmail ever since.

Not used an ISP's email service since NTL took over Cable and Wireless and announced they would not be porting the email for some accounts over. Mine was one of the ones not ported.

Kushan 14-04-2014 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35688600)
Not used an ISP's email service since NTL took over Cable and Wireless and announced they would not be porting the email for some accounts over. Mine was one of the ones not ported.

When they migrated to gmail, more than a few accounts lost all of their emails and a few ended up in the hands of different people. It was a cluster**** to say the least.

Maggy 14-04-2014 17:10

It's not a problem..I use my Gmail account more than my VM one so it's just as easy to deal with.

Wild Oscar 16-04-2014 21:36

I use Thunderbird normally so I don't often use the web page, but I don't remember it looking any different.

In what way has it changed then?

BenMcr 17-04-2014 09:47

There was an advert banner and web search box at the top. These have now gone

Chris 17-04-2014 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35688600)

I stopped using ISP email more than 10 years ago thanks to NTLWorld and its notoriously flaky service. One of the recurring complaints back in the days of the original Nthellworld.com was the email, and the standard response was that we shouldn't expect the email to work because it was a free 'extra' (despite being listed as one of the benefits under the headline £25 per month or whatever it was at the time).

I got myself a free mac.com email address, stuck with it when they started charging for it, and still have it now it's free again. :D. I have changed ISP twice since my first broadband with NTL but I have never since had to notify anyone of a change of email address.

StevenNT 17-04-2014 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35689713)
I stopped using ISP email more than 10 years ago thanks to NTLWorld and its notoriously flaky service. One of the recurring complaints back in the days of the original Nthellworld.com was the email, and the standard response was that we shouldn't expect the email to work because it was a free 'extra' (despite being listed as one of the benefits under the headline £25 per month or whatever it was at the time).

I did the same kind of thing, I bought my own domain and used that as my e-mail with a domain provider and 4 years ago migrated the mail to Google Apps and imported the mail into the Gmail inbox.

I certainly don't miss NTL's old mail "system" which hardly worked and glad they finally binned it.

qasdfdsaq 17-04-2014 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35689713)

I never had an issue with flakiness but learned the hard way about lack of portability of ISP email addresses, if you depend on them for everything you lose them when you change ISP - if you were to move somewhere where VM isn't available even trying to stay with the same ISP wouldn't help.

Kushan 17-04-2014 16:08

I believe OFCOM is investigating email migration as part of an ISP shakeup, but it's probably still a ways off.

Springy 17-04-2014 22:14

I think it is good, using the Google Apps look instead of mucking around with it.