Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698080)

denphone 18-07-2014 15:46

Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Thanks everybody as all is fine and well now as we had a new tyre fitted a couple of hours ago and the lady of the house is now giving me my orders again.:Yes::no::Yes:

heero_yuy 18-07-2014 18:20

Glad everthing worked out OK Den. But a caution: Everytime you bump up over a kerb parking or graunch the alloys or down into a pot hole is just another increased risk of a high speed blowout.

denphone 18-07-2014 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35715769)
Glad everthing worked out OK Den. But a caution: Everytime you bump up over a kerb parking or graunch the alloys or down into a pot hole is just another increased risk of a high speed blowout.

My partner is a very safe driver and trys to avoid all these things heero at all costs and the culprit today is a very sharp nail which obviously has come in contact with the tyre and sadly has caused the severe damage to the tyre.

heero_yuy 18-07-2014 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35715776)
My partner is a very safe driver and trys to avoid all these things heero at all costs and the culprit today is a very sharp nail which obviously has come in contact with the tyre and sadly has caused the severe damage to the tyre.

Glad to hear it was just an unlucky chance. I cringe when I see people abusing their tyres oblivious to the fact that they're storing up trouble for later.

denphone 18-07-2014 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35715791)
Glad to hear it was just an unlucky chance. I cringe when I see people abusing their tyres oblivious to the fact that they're storing up trouble for later.

Indeed there are as many bad drivers as there are good drivers in my book.

heero_yuy 18-07-2014 19:57

Its gone really dark from out to sea. I think we're about to get some more storms. Even the seagulls have vanished. they were making a racket over the flying ants that are everywhere. Yep distant thunder now. :(

Eek, big lightening!

dave6x 18-07-2014 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35715811)
Its gone really dark from out to sea. I think we're about to get some more storms. Even the seagulls have vanished. they were making a racket over the flying ants that are everywhere. Yep distant thunder now. :(

Eek, big lightening!

Hmmm might be coming this way then!

At the height of the storm here last night, about 12:30am, there was a terrific flash an almighty crash of thunder and my desktop PC shutdown. When I rebooted it the network interface card was cooked, luckily seems to be the only damage so now running temporarily on a spare wireless adaptor!

MalteseFalcon 18-07-2014 22:43

Just had a bit of sheet lighting, no thunder and a tiny little spot of rain. Then just as I was about to close the curtains, I saw my first ever forked lightning. 29 years old and had never seen forked lightning myself. Only pictures, but nothing compared to seeing it yourself.

heero_yuy 19-07-2014 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave6x (Post 35715815)
Hmmm might be coming this way then!

At the height of the storm here last night, about 12:30am, there was a terrific flash an almighty crash of thunder and my desktop PC shutdown. When I rebooted it the network interface card was cooked, luckily seems to be the only damage so now running temporarily on a spare wireless adaptor!

If you get a ground strike it can shift the earth potential up hundreds of volts locally. This creates surges in any wiring in the vicinity, somewhat like an EMP event, you don't even need to get struck to be subject to shocks and for electronics to get fried.

heero_yuy 19-07-2014 19:20

Another big storm coming in from the channel. Getting very dark now and no birds whatsoever. Distant thunder. :(

Taken the main PC's off-line as a precaution. They're on a surge arrester block as are the interfaces but better not to chance it.

MalteseFalcon 19-07-2014 19:44

Wish it was pouring with rain here.

heero_yuy 19-07-2014 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35716095)
Wish it was pouring with rain here.

Well they're heading North so you might be in the firing line. :erm:

Still think I'll pop the air-con on in the bedroom and get it chilled down for later.

Hom3r 19-07-2014 20:43

I have apparently slept through thunderstorms on Friday & Saturday morning.

dilli-theclaw 19-07-2014 20:46

My TARDIS mug just bought the farm - nooooooooooooo :(

Qtx 21-07-2014 15:16

Train delayed due to signal errors and then after waiting ages a new alert over the speakers saying trains are now delayed due to a train hitting someone. Dont remember hearing such a blunt tannoy announcement before.

Annoying as I walked past some bus stops on the way to the station and now imon a replacement bus service going the same way

South-west trains Wimbledon to dorking screwed at the moment if anyone expecting to use them