Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   is 3 uk network any good? thinking of getting an iphone 5 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33689760)

wakkaday 17-09-2012 16:41

is 3 uk network any good? thinking of getting an iphone 5

they have the best deal.

im with orange and t-mobile.
orange upgrade is pathetic as i might aswell get a new contract...

so i am thinking of 3 network

i knew a few years ago people said their signal was poor etc, is this still the case?

Russ 17-09-2012 16:51

Re: is 3 uk network any good? thinking of getting an iphone 5

Yes, if you're in one of the areas where their signal is poor. If you're lucky to live in one of the areas with a good signal then you're in luck.

Tezcatlipoca 17-09-2012 19:07

My contract is up in a month or two, and I'm seriously considering ditching O2 for Three.

Easily the best deal for a pay monthly iPhone 5 compared to the other networks. Also the chance of LTE in a year when Three starts using the spectrum it bought from EE.

paulsouth 17-09-2012 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35475208)
My contract is up in a month or two, and I'm seriously considering ditching O2 for Three.

Easily the best deal for a pay monthly iPhone 5 compared to the other networks. Also the chance of LTE in a year when Three starts using the spectrum it bought from EE.

to be honest depends where u are?
where i live its bloddy fast.. infact its quicker than virgin media..

GrimUpNorth 17-09-2012 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsouth (Post 35475219)

Now that doesn't surprise me coming from you.

Cheers

Grim

wakkaday 17-09-2012 21:32

im disapointed with the upgrade offers for iphone5. you may aswell get a new contract..

v0id 17-09-2012 21:34

You don't have to go to Orange to upgrade.
I usually just peruse the carphone warehouse website for a cheap deal, plus their handsets come unbranded unlike with Orange, with their Orange branding all over them

DJSADERS 17-09-2012 21:41

i use three with the Samsung Galaxy SII and i think it's good, never really had any signal problems

qasdfdsaq 17-09-2012 22:18

If you're on Orange already you'd have to be pretty desperate to save money to move to 3.

Most likely threatening to leave will get you a better deal out of your current network.

As for 3 - there's absolutely no advantage to their network these days (they lost most of that with the T-Mobile merger). Coverage you'll be better on EE, capacity you'll be better on EE, reliability you'll be better on EE, and not to mention the iPhone 5 will (supposedly) not work on 4G on any network other EE anytime soon and will only ever work if they turn off parts of their 2G or 3G networks.

Stephen 17-09-2012 23:36

I have mobile broadband with Three and get great signal everywhere. Speeds are great too.

Years ago when they first launched their coverage wasn't good but its really good these days.

Tezcatlipoca 18-09-2012 00:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulsouth (Post 35475219)

Cambridge. The Three postcode checker alleges I'll have a great signal at home and work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakkaday (Post 35475271)
im disapointed with the upgrade offers for iphone5. you may aswell get a new contract..

I don't think upgrade offers have ever been great for the iPhone... Or even what you could call "offers".

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35475272)
You don't have to go to Orange to upgrade.
I usually just peruse the carphone warehouse website for a cheap deal, plus their handsets come unbranded unlike with Orange, with their Orange branding all over them

No branding issues with the iPhone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35475292)
If you're on Orange already you'd have to be pretty desperate to save money to move to 3.

Most likely threatening to leave will get you a better deal out of your current network.

As for 3 - there's absolutely no advantage to their network these days (they lost most of that with the T-Mobile merger). Coverage you'll be better on EE, capacity you'll be better on EE, reliability you'll be better on EE, and not to mention the iPhone 5 will (supposedly) not work on 4G on any network other EE anytime soon and will only ever work if they turn off parts of their 2G or 3G networks.

No supposedly about it.

The iPhone 5 supports LTE bands 1, 3 and 5.

EE will be using band 3 (1800MHz). Three will eventually be able to use it, as it bought some of EE's spectrum, but not until September 2013.

The bands being auctioned by Ofcom for LTE are not 1, 3, or 5. No matter what O2 and the rest end up with, the iPhone 5's LTE won't support it.

If/when Ofcom ever allows band 1 (2.1GHz) to be re-farmed for LTE we'll probably be on the iPhone 7S... by then there'd hopefully be wider LTE support anyway!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19586067

wwe 18-09-2012 13:54

I've been with 3 for nearly 10 years never had an problem with the signal or any thing else

AndyCambs 18-09-2012 20:00

I had an iPhone 3S with Orange and when the contract was up, tried to negotiate a price so the down payment was the same as Three offered. I was told to go to Three (in as many words).
Three offered unlimited downloads and tethering is no additional fee. Useful when the broadband connection fails and you can still work from home albeit reduced capacity!
So apart from just about double minutes and unlimited downloads for the same monthly price, the downpayment was less than half price of Orange.

Network - I've actually found that Three were better around my area (and on the train journey to London) where Virgin Mobile and Orange always had a black spot.
I'll probably stay with Three when this contract is up.

qasdfdsaq 19-09-2012 00:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 35475325)
No supposedly about it.

The iPhone 5 supports LTE bands 1, 3 and 5.

EE will be using band 3 (1800MHz). Three will eventually be able to use it, as it bought some of EE's spectrum, but not until September 2013.

The bands being auctioned by Ofcom for LTE are not 1, 3, or 5. No matter what O2 and the rest end up with, the iPhone 5's LTE won't support it.

If/when Ofcom ever allows band 1 (2.1GHz) to be re-farmed for LTE we'll probably be on the iPhone 7S... by then there'd hopefully be wider LTE support anyway!

Not entirely true. O2 and Vodafone also own 1800Mhz (band 3) spectrum and could use it for LTE if they wanted to, same goes for 2.1Ghz (band 1). It took barely a year for the 900/1800 LTE refarming to get approved, I suspect any attempt to get 2.1Ghz approved will be even faster given that every network owns spectrum in the band.

As for the phone itself, there are already variants that support LTE on bands 4, 9, 13, 17, and 15, and in the US it's pretty much standard for manufacturers to make phones specifically tailored to each individual provider's frequencies - nothing to stop them doing that in Europe as well.

But in any case none of this is going to be happening particularly soon.

Matthew 19-09-2012 23:53

From a data view 3 are great, never used for voice.

I find Orange to be best priced for myself or a phone contract.