Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub WiFi performance? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33675150)

fixerman 20-02-2011 12:49

Superhub WiFi performance?

I have received a letter offering me an upgrade to 30MB and a Superhub for £30.

My present set up is a VM Modem and my own Belkin "N" wireless router.

My main concern is the wireless performance of the Superhub as I use multiple wireless connections and Homeplugs. Laptops, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV etc.

My questions are :-

1/ Will the Superhub be compatible with my Belkin wireless dongles and Apple TV.

2/ What are the Superhub wireless experiences of forum members?

Toto 20-02-2011 12:52

Re: Superhub WiFi performance?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixerman (Post 35178543)
I have received a letter offering me an upgrade to 30MB and a Superhub for £30.

My present set up is a VM Modem and my own Belkin "N" wireless router.

My main concern is the wireless performance of the Superhub as I use multiple wireless connections and Homeplugs. Laptops, iPhone, iPad, AppleTV etc.

My questions are :-

1/ Will the Superhub be compatible with my Belkin wireless dongles and Apple TV.

2/ What are the Superhub wireless experiences of forum members?

1 + 2.

Should be fine on both.

Actually, I get a better signal + uptime on my Superhub than I did with my DIR 615 Wireless router, even with special firmware. Odd but True :)

Hugh 20-02-2011 13:11

I use Belkin and Netgear dongles, and both work fine - also have had no issues on my Apple TV.

Marcus125 20-02-2011 13:17

I have the superhub and its pretty good although mine doesnt like 2 xboxes connected at once.

But at any 1 time our hub can have 3 laptops, 1ipad, 2 android mobile phones an IPOD touch and wireless printer, xbox and or ps3 with no problems.

The online performance with all devices connected is sweet aswell but thats down to our line and not just the hub.

EDIT

Our bluray player is also connected but thats the only wired device.

AND!!!!! Some people say the superhub doesnt like atheros wireless adaptors but if you got the latest firmwear its fine and will hit max speed if your line is ok an not over subscribed or suffering high utlisation.

Ok this is what I get right now but only 2 devices connected both wireless both laptops.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2011/02/24.png

Peter_ 20-02-2011 13:22

I have my Edimax router connected as an access point with DHCP disabled, my PC and my Bluray player and all working without any problem.

The router will be able to work correctly later in the year once we have bridge mode.

Hugh 20-02-2011 14:24

As stated before, I have, attached to the Super Hub -

Cat 5 cable to a Buffalo Airstation upstairs, which supports my (wired) main PC, an Apple TV, two PC's on wifi
Cat 5 cable to BluRay player
Wifi to 3/4 (depending if my son/daughter are at home) x laptops downstairs
Wifi to Wii downstairs

and 3 smartphones and an iPod Touch which roam between the Super Hub and the AirStation.

No problems.

StevenJohnson 20-02-2011 14:37

I'm having a terrible time with the Superhub. If you want a better idea, just take a look at the official VM forums. Everyday they are flooded with customers and their Wireless issues.

Just based on my experience at the moment, I couldn't recommend this upgrade to anyone...

fixerman 20-02-2011 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenJohnson (Post 35178637)
I'm having a terrible time with the Superhub. If you want a better idea, just take a look at the official VM forums. Everyday they are flooded with customers and their Wireless issues.

Just based on my experience at the moment, I couldn't recommend this upgrade to anyone...

Four very positive responses and one negative?:confused:

The law of averages would suggest I give the Superhub a go!:)

I'm tempted to go the whole hog and get the 50MB upgrade. Life is short!

Thanks folks for your advice. It's much appreciated!:)

AndyCambs 20-02-2011 18:47

I'd go with the Superhub as its the best on offer from VM at the moment.
Would you see any increase in speed - maybe, but depends on how far you are from the wireless hub. In the same room, I am getting 30+, whilst on another floor, I can pull only 11.
Devolvo HomePlugs slow the connection down. If you are wired directly into the hub, or in the same room, then there's a huge improvement.

There's useful features, liket setting up a guest network easily too.

StevenJohnson 20-02-2011 22:55

I was previously using a DIR-655 which was upstairs, my wireless devices are downstairs and I always had a stable 90%+ signal. I then had to use the Superhub because I upgraded to 30mb which is the same location of my previous router and it's a very unstable 50%+ signal... that's not good if you ask me?!

tosh mate 20-02-2011 23:07

I have recently upgraded and have slight problems with my superhub :(
occassionally i loose connection only for a few seconds ( even when it's wired )

zekeisaszekedoes 20-02-2011 23:45

My particular Super Hub plays fast and loose with everything, even when you ignore the cable modem and just use the LAN side. Wireless drops and has poor range overall, wired gigabit to gigabit fast file transfers can cause hangs and overall the thing needs rebooting all the time due to weird problems. I drop it in every week or so to see if the results vary, but they never do.

I would also like to point out that these problems get worse when you connect other routers to it, with the Super Hub being the main one. In my case I run one main router and two (sometimes three) additional ones as I need a bunch of extra ethernet ports and a couple of wireless networks running on different channels (one timed for "guest" access, one all day for my own personal use) and it really makes the problem much worse. Doing multiple LAN transfers and using a P2P client while a couple of other devices stream iPlayer content made it freeze quicker than [rude metaphor deleted].

Just my experience, and bear in mind I'm a heavy user of both the LAN and WAN side. Whereas other people who have several devices connected, perhaps even more than me wirelessly, might only be doing very low bandwidth stuff. Quantity of devices isn't necessarily indicative of overall performance unless those devices are generating notable packet traffic.

Until the firmware update I'm sticking with my NTL blue Ambit 250 modem and trio of DIR-615s (main one with DD-WRT).

Auld Reekie 21-02-2011 09:36

Being a layman in the computer world I would appreciate any help.
At the moment I have a Netgear router connected to my modem and main computer.
I will shortly be upgraded from 20m to 50m and have the Super hub router installed.
Do I still need my Netgear router in use when I use my laptop in another room?
Thanks in advance.