Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Digital TV Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   need help to connect tv to aerial (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33654887)

kishp 02-09-2009 01:02

need help to connect tv to aerial

hi. my tv is on the wall and is far away from my aerial socket and i can
either get a long aerial extension to connect it .....Is there any other way or equipment i can use.?. ...and just askin will a plug in aerial booster work and would it allow to be pluged in a normal plug in the wall which i could just add the aerial from the aerial socket from the booster to the tv?

Graham M 02-09-2009 01:22

Re: need help to connect tv to aerial

What about getting a Freeview box somewhere else in the room and using a TV sender which are normally fairly compact and IE easy to hide

kishp 02-09-2009 13:06

thnks 4 the reply
how would this work though? and would it leave any long wires to the tv which i dont want. how would it conect the tv sender, tv and freeview box together ?

danny999911 02-09-2009 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham M (Post 34865415)
What about getting a Freeview box somewhere else in the room and using a TV sender which are normally fairly compact and IE easy to hide

Yes it is much easier for you to have whatever box you want the aerial to plug in to next to the aerial socket, and then use a video sender to send it across the room to your TV.

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishp (Post 34865549)
thnks 4 the reply
how would this work though? and would it leave any long wires to the tv which i dont want. how would it conect the tv sender, tv and freeview box together ?

You would have a freeview box plugged into the aerial socket. You would have a TV sender plugged into the output of the freeview box. This would wirelessly send the picture from the box to a TV reciever, which would be plugged into the TV and could be out of sight behind the TV. Both the reciever and transmitter would need to be plugged into the mains though.

kishp 02-09-2009 17:39

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
any other more simple way to connect the aerail to my tv other than having to use long aerial wires
would a simple plug in aerial boster work like the one above?

any other simplified ways to solve the problem?

nodrogd 02-09-2009 17:50

If by TV on the wall you mean a portable on a bracket, then the video sender is a good idea. If you're talking a large screen Plasma or LCD then a direct feed is essential to avoid loss in picture quality.

kishp 02-09-2009 17:54

talking about a large lcd the aerial socket is to far away from the tv.. and i dont want 2 have a long aerial cable going across the room ..
other ways?

Chris 02-09-2009 18:03

Moved to 'Other TV Services' as this has nothing to do with Virgin cable TV so far as I can see.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by kishp (Post 34865742)
talking about a large lcd the aerial socket is to far away from the tv.. and i dont want 2 have a long aerial cable going across the room ..
other ways?

You really do need to listen to Nodrogd on this issue. If you have a large widescreen TV you need to be very careful to do nothing that might degrade the signal it receives because it will make your picture look awful and you will have wasted all the £100s you spent on it. A direct cable from the aerial socket to the back of the TV (assuming it has integrated Freeview) is your only choice, unless you don't care about picture quality.

If I were you I'd be researching your best options for minimising the appearance of the cable rather than looking for fiddly technical solutions that will simply end up compromising the quality of your TV viewing.

kishp 03-09-2009 14:40

aerial boosters

my aerial socket is far away from my tv i was wonderin becasue theres a plug under my tv weather plugging in a aerail booster then inserting the aerial cable in there to connect to my tv would work?
below is the picture of what im on bout
http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argo...5UC229518M.jpg

haydnwalker 03-09-2009 14:46

Re: aerial boosters

You would still need a long length of ariel cable as input for the booster... then a short length for output to your TV. But to be honest, CoAx cable (that they use for ariels) can run for 100meters - and surely your room isn't that big :) without major signal loss, if you have good quality stuff...

We use one in our house, as the ariel cable is split between 2 TV sets and works rather well.

kishp 03-09-2009 15:06

ive got aerial cables im just askin if i put them in the booster and connect to tv would it work

haydnwalker 03-09-2009 16:22

Yes they would. But why do you need the booster? Do you not get a good signal?

kishp 03-09-2009 16:43

no i need it because my aerial socket is too far away from my tv and either i get an extended aerial cable which i really dont want or the booster which im not sure on if it will work or not.
so would it defintley work then?

Kymmy 03-09-2009 16:45

Exactly how far is the Tv from the socket? If within 20meters then just get a decent quality co-ax, if though you find you do need a booster then always place the booster as close to the antenna side if possible than the TV side, otherwise you're boosting all the noise that the coax picks up

kishp 03-09-2009 16:56

im avoiding the coax cables because it looks untidy and really dont want cables running around . would that booster work if i plug it in and use the sockets on the booster to connect the aerial cable to my tv?