Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   why are projectors so expensive (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=19030)

stamp92 19-10-2004 16:49

why are projectors so expensive

im looking for a projector that i could use to project the television or computer display onto the wall of my house.

why are projectors and the lamps you buy for them so expensive? the lamps cost upto £200 it seems crazy to me why a projector is more expensive than a good computer when the technology i would have thought is quite simple.

i would value a projector at £50-200 but they cost £400-2000. wHY?

Can anyone recommend some good manufacturers of projectors and/or their models and recommend makes to avoid. Where is the best place to buy a projector?

Chris 19-10-2004 16:55

Re: why are projectors so expensive

I think the lamps have to be manufactured to a very high standard due to the temperatures and brightness involved - they are quite fragile and probably can't be cheaply made in the same way a bog standard 60w bulb is.

gazzae 19-10-2004 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp92
the lamps cost upto £200 .

Thats pretty cheap for a lamp!!! We have a projector here in work and its by no means top of the range and replacement lamps for it are around the £350 mark.

Halcyon 19-10-2004 17:06

And how long on average do these bulbs last ?

stamp92 19-10-2004 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon

i think it varies in different models. one lamp i saw had a 2000 hour life.

gazzae 19-10-2004 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon

The one we have, which would be a mid-range projector, is around 1000 hours.

gary_580 19-10-2004 17:35

Try buying a replacement bulb for a 3500 lumens project. Scarey!!!

I think the price has also to do with the fact that you need white light for a projector and not the orange or blue light you normally get from a lamp. ohhh and there are extremely bright (unlike me)

Halcyon 19-10-2004 23:19

Wow !!!

Expensive hobby then if you have one of those.

andygrif 19-10-2004 23:37

In answer to the original question, it's becuase people will buy them at that price and becuase they are a marginal product.

If and when they become more widespread (as has already happened to some extent) then competition will increase, cost of manufacturing decrease and the price we pay likewise.

keithwalton 19-10-2004 23:43

A good analagy of a modern projector is that of a mini lcd moniter, as that is basically what they are. a High resolution lcd (usually 1280x1024 or abit less which is the same as most 17"-19" lcd moniters) squeezed into a 3" panel. Replace the backlight in the moniter with a high power lamp. As said they are rather strict on these cold cathodes wont cut it.
Then instead of a glass / polymer front to the moniter replace it with complex magnifcation optics instead.
Squidge all of the above in a small package and there you have yourself a digital projector.

There high price tag is quite easily justified compared to that of a desktop moniter. The tft panel alone is worth hundreds as its got to be nigh on perfect (zero dead pixels as they are very noticable when they go due to the size each pixel comes out on a 100" projection) and that much higher density of pixels is used.
They are indeed an expensive hobbie

stamp92 20-10-2004 09:25

thanks everyone for your replies.

i can appreciate why now they are so expensive.

can anyone recommend a particular brand or they all as good as each other?

how abt this product from ebuyer

Viewsonic PJ510 Multimedia Projector 1200 Ansi Lumens

or this Benq PB6100 1500 Lumens Projector