Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   UK Economy Emerges From Six-Year Downturn (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698326)

Arthurgray50@blu 25-07-2014 10:34

UK Economy Emerges From Six-Year Downturn

http://news.sky.com/story/1307261/uk...-year-downturn

Chancellor George Osborne said: "Thanks to the hard work of the British people, today we reach a major milestone in our long-term economic plan."

What makes me laugh about this, is that the worker has had to suffer badly through his policies, to no value whatsoever. When the major retailers are making a fortune.

While the workers suffers at the hands of penny pinching Tories. The Country is still extremely poor and depending on charities for handouts.

It makes a mockery out of the fact when stupid Osborne, said in a recent Tv interview, that if they require finace, they will take it from the poor.

The reason why this country is in recovery, its three years too late. We have had severe cuts and depend largely on volunteers - that don't cost a penny, to defend out shores. And to supply food handouts.

Roll on 2015

Hugh 25-07-2014 10:37

Re: Osborne is having a laugh if he thinks we appreciate his efforts

Quote:

When the major retailers are making a fortune
You obviously haven't seen the news about Morrisons and Tesco not doing so well....

re "volunteers - that don't cost a penny, to defend out shores" - you do realise the TA volunteers get paid?

alferret 25-07-2014 10:43

What you seem to ignore Arthur is that your beloved labour left the UK with such a huge debt that the following government (in this case the Tories) had to deal with and that ment that we all had to tighten our belts, that issue combined with the general global recession massed it harder for the common people.
Now we have turned the corner and as a country are in a far better shape than we was I'm May 2010 are going to throw away because die hard, blind and blinkered people like yourself are going to do their best to get labour back in power do that in 2020 we can start with recovery all over again.

MalteseFalcon 25-07-2014 10:44

Hugh, you know Arthur. He never lets facts get in the way of a rant about the coalition government. Almost makes me wish Miliband gets elected next year, then we might get some peace.

I did say almost makes me want it.

Chris 25-07-2014 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35717314)
you do realise

No. He doesn't.

Sirius 25-07-2014 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35717310)
http://news.sky.com/story/1307261/uk...-year-downturn

Chancellor George Osborne said: "Thanks to the hard work of the British people, today we reach a major milestone in our long-term economic plan."

What makes me laugh about this, is that the worker has had to suffer badly through his policies, to no value whatsoever. When the major retailers are making a fortune.

While the workers suffers at the hands of penny pinching Tories. The Country is still extremely poor and depending on charities for handouts.

It makes a mockery out of the fact when stupid Osborne, said in a recent Tv interview, that if they require finace, they will take it from the poor.

The reason why this country is in recovery, its three years too late. We have had severe cuts and depend largely on volunteers - that don't cost a penny, to defend out shores. And to supply food handouts.

Roll on 2015

God help us if your lot get back in, i will give them six months to feck it up and put us back in the crap.

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35717314)
You obviously haven't seen the news about Morrisons and Tesco not doing so well....

re "volunteers - that don't cost a penny, to defend out shores" - you do realise the TA volunteers get paid?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35717319)
No. He doesn't.

Arthur has never understood what the word FACT means, he reads his red top comic each day and believes everything they spew out. :D

Osem 25-07-2014 14:25

Arthur is Ed Balls... :D

TheDaddy 25-07-2014 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by alferret (Post 35717315)
What you seem to ignore Arthur is that your beloved labour left the UK with such a huge debt that the following government (in this case the Tories) had to deal with and that ment that we all had to tighten our belts, that issue combined with the general global recession massed it harder for the common people.
Now we have turned the corner and as a country are in a far better shape than we was I'm May 2010 are going to throw away because die hard, blind and blinkered people like yourself are going to do their best to get labour back in power do that in 2020 we can start with recovery all over again.

anyone who thinks anything would've been any different aside from a few specific cosmetic ideological pet projects on the periphery is very much mistaken, what happened would've happened no matter who was in charge much like the recovery would've.

Ignitionnet 12-08-2014 12:41

Re: UK Economy Emerges From Six-Year Downturn

Nearest economic thread I could find.

Let's talk about this magnificent economy for a moment?

Quote:

April 2014 public sector net borrowing excluding the temporary effects of financial interventions (PSNB ex) was £11.5 billion. This was £1.9 billion higher than April 2013, when it was £9.5 billion.

May2014 public sector net borrowing excluding financial interventions (PSNBex) was £13.3 billion. This was £4.6 billion higher than May 2013, when it was £8.7 billion.

June 2014 public sector net borrowing excluding financial interventions (PSNB ex) was was £11.4 billion. This was £3.8 billion higher than June 2013, when it was £7.6 billion.
Funny, I'm sure I read that unemployment was way down and growth was back in spades. Anyone would think that would've led to more taxes being paid and the deficit and welfare bills going down.

Unless of course the employment figures are a pile of pap as most are low/no paid self-employed or low hour, bad pay jobs, growth is largely dependent on asset bubbles and borrowing, and real wages in general are stagnant or dropping while any productivity increases are skimmed off by shareholders and senior management.

I could be totally wrong of course, I was just under the impression that the coalition was formed to tackle the deficit and they appear to have increased it by nearly a third in the first three months of this financial year relative to last.

This is what happens when you have the economy run for political reasons to try and stay in power rather than, you know, for sound economic reasons. As I said years ago we should have had a fast, nasty clear out of the economy. Instead for purely political reasons Gideon has chosen the more politically expedient path and stored up yet more debt for our kids and more problems for the future. It was said that whoever won the last election would have no chance of winning the next one - they reckoned without the cynical mismanagement of the economy that Gideon had planned.

chris9991 12-08-2014 13:08

I wouldn't worry too much. Austerity will be back in two years time regardless of the winner of the election.

Ignitionnet 12-08-2014 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris9991 (Post 35721069)
I wouldn't worry too much. Austerity will be back in two years time regardless of the winner of the election.

It hasn't gone, just backfired as it was done so abysmally wrong.

chris9991 12-08-2014 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35721071)
It hasn't gone, just backfired as it was done so abysmally wrong.

Of course, as suggested here (amongst others)

http://flipchartfairytales.wordpress...and-tomorrows/

Ignitionnet 12-08-2014 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris9991 (Post 35721072)
Of course, as suggested here (amongst others)

http://flipchartfairytales.wordpress...and-tomorrows/

Ah yes, the pre-election bribery fest. Austerity is going slowly, more the welfare bill going up :(

richard s 12-08-2014 15:34

Food banks are still growing - Kent's poorer people are indebt to the tune of £800 million! We are supposed to be the affluent South East!

People have short memories [Thatcher Boom/Bust years] interest rates at 14.5%.

Stuart 12-08-2014 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35717310)

Nope, they really aren't. Take a look at any high street, and a lot of out of town centres to see how many vacant shops there are. There are a *lot*.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27482022

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5e542208-1...#axzz3ABmVIdc8

Also, I don't mean to patronise you, but you do realise that companies making some profit is a *good* thing for the economy? You might consider the profits excessive, but you do realise it's exactly those profits that they need so they can invest in new stores and expanding existing ones? Thus creating more jobs?