Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Ghostbusters (2016) Trailer (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702506)

Stephen 03-03-2016 18:11

Ghostbusters (2016) Trailer

So?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ugHP-yZXw

Not as awful looking as I thought.

denphone 03-03-2016 18:24

Re: Ghostbusters (2016) Trailer

Looks alright to me.

Hom3r 03-03-2016 18:59

Not sure about the revamped theme

v0id 04-03-2016 14:59

This looks like some rubbish fan fiction or a parody of Ghostbusters.

Just ..nope

alanbjames 04-03-2016 18:51

I think it looks like just one big joke like the Scary Movies series.

Gavin78 04-03-2016 19:07

I'm hoping there is more to this but I have to agree the whole thing looks a mess from the trailer

Stephen 05-03-2016 05:57

After a few viewings of the trailer it has grown on my and I am intrigued to see it..

I will give it a chance. I do really like the new version of the theme.

Also anyone notice the lab scenes are actually in the firehouse.

Also slimer was there and in the time square clip there was an advert for 's really big' Twinkie.

So many nods to the original films that I think there maybe more to the film than we are being led to believe.

Otherwise too much of a waste of time to reference it so much.

Russ 05-03-2016 06:18

I'm already put off by the stereotypes: the smart "bookish" one, the jolly "fat" one, the spiky haired "ballsy" one and the black "uh uh, you ain't messing with me" one.

techguyone 05-03-2016 10:38

It's a 'female empowerment' movie, that makes it unwatchable. Not that I'm against woman power, but any of those type of 'empowerment' genre things tries too hard and spoils the movie. I'm not a huge fan of remakes anyway, invariably they make it worse.

Stephen 05-03-2016 13:22

For one its a reboot not a remake. Two totally different things.

Second The Director Fieg makes a lot of women centric movies and for the most part they are actually pretty good.

Thirdly people placing hate on it all over the internet for its female cast, pretty awful two be honest.

I was against the film as I love the original movies and the cartoon and the idea of a reboot/sequel with a new cast put me off. However now having seen the trailer I think it will be a funny and decent movie but not perfection or brillance.

Anyone see Spy last year? That was a great movie starring one of the leads and by the same director.

I still have my worries but am willing to give it a chance,

techguyone 05-03-2016 14:35

Whatever.

It'll be crap, wait and see.

Stuart 06-03-2016 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35825248)
I'm already put off by the stereotypes: the smart "bookish" one, the jolly "fat" one, the spiky haired "ballsy" one and the black "uh uh, you ain't messing with me" one.

Because, of course, the original didn't have stereotypical characters. The film was both exciting and funny partly (IMO) because the characters were stereotypes.

I like how people already seem to be convinced they know if the film is going to good or not based on the minute or so of footage they have seen. Personally, I don't find trailers to be a good indicator of how good a film is.. I thought the trailers for the original Ghostbusters and Star Trek: The Wrath Of Kahn made both films look awful, but loved both films (and have bought both in multiple formats). I thought the trailer for Indecent Proposal (the 1993 film in which Robert Redford pays Demi Moore millions to spend the night with him), and the trailer for Skyline looked brilliant. In both cases, I hate the film.

I'll reserve my judgement until I have seen the film, but the trailer (IMO) makes it look fairly good.

Maggy 07-03-2016 09:11

I just hate unoriginality in the film industry and this is an example..who is it aimed at anyway?Women? Well this woman wants to see intelligent use of men and women in intelligent SF films..

techguyone 07-03-2016 09:18

Any film aimed firmly for one demographic is normally poor, as it's entirely focused on promoting the view, rather than the story. Or entertainment.

One day we'll get original films again you can watch for the yanno... entertainment value, without looking for a hidden agenda/message.

And for god's sake just Stop. With the reboots/remakes/ripoffs.

Stop It 07-03-2016 11:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35825464)
Any film aimed firmly for one demographic is normally poor, as it's entirely focused on promoting the view, rather than the story. Or entertainment.

One day we'll get original films again you can watch for the yanno... entertainment value, without looking for a hidden agenda/message.

And for god's sake just Stop. With the reboots/remakes/ripoffs.

Wow.

I take it you have no problem with "normal" action films, which have been squarely aimed for the 18-35 white male audience for decades?

There are plenty of original films out there, and the indie scene is getting bigger (Just look at the success of Sundance) so that's a non answer as well. Hollywood is Hollywood and always plays to the LCD, which is perfectly fine. Not every film needs to be Citizen Kane.

Anyway, this film is basically saying that Ghostbusters would've been fun if it had an all female leading cast. Which, so long as it is well made, is very true. The only agenda here is in your head I'm afraid. A good film is a good film and this film needs to be judged on its merits.

We've seen decent reboots, and bad ones, just like with original screenplays, again, it's best to judge on a case by case basis rather than writing off entire swathes of content based on the premise only.