Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   [Update] Cyclist convicted of "wanton and furious driving" (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705272)

Osem 23-08-2017 18:33

Re: What an obnoxious piece of work.....

I hope his prison term 'educates' this stupid idiot and those who'd seek to copy his behaviour. There's loads of young idiots around here who insist on riding recklessly on the roads and pavements on all sorts of bikes, many with no brakes. It's about time the police started confiscating their bikes.

Taf 23-08-2017 18:48

'Furious and wanton driving' ? What the heck is that?

Sirius 23-08-2017 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35913817)

Maybe raiding as fast as he could whilst knowing that his bike was illegal and therefor putting other people at risk.

OR

Quote:

The wording of S35 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 (as amended by the Criminal Justice Act 1948 (c. 58), s. 1(2)) is as follows: “35. Drivers of carriages injuring persons by furious driving Whosoever, having the charge of any carriage or vehicle, shall by wanton or furious driving or racing, or other wilful misconduct, or by wilful neglect, do or cause to be done any bodily harm to any person whatsoever, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be imprisoned for any term not exceeding two years.” As far as I can make out, you can only be charged if you injure someone.
https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/138170/

Osem 23-08-2017 19:04

Quote:

An example of some very old law which definitely needs updating.

nomadking 23-08-2017 19:35

Quote:

In this case, coming out relatively unscathed and being male.

He could have just as easily, if not more so, have been the one killed in the incident, and no blame whatsoever would have been laid in her direction, even though she was to blame.

007stuart 23-08-2017 19:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osem (Post 35913820)
An example of some very old law which definitely needs updating.

Well go on start the ball rolling with your suggestions.

Mr Banana 23-08-2017 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35913822)
In this case, coming out relatively unscathed and being male.

He could have just as easily, if not more so, have been the one killed in the incident, and no blame whatsoever would have been laid in her direction, even though she was to blame.

How can she be blamed for that prat riding a bike with no brakes?

Ken W 23-08-2017 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Banana (Post 35913824)
How can she be blamed for that prat riding a bike with no brakes?

Exactly, the law is an ass not allowing a manslaughter charge which his case should for a minimum of 15 years.

Kursk 23-08-2017 22:15

Quote:

I assume that includes anyone who has ever exceeded a speed limit. That'll be everyone then. Well, apart from the cyclist in this particular instance.

I feel very sad that this accident has resulted in the loss of a life but I'm not sure what purpose could be served by a custodial sentence on a young man, if that's what happens.

Mr Banana 23-08-2017 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35913831)
I assume that includes anyone who has ever exceeded a speed limit. That'll be everyone then. Well, apart from the cyclist in this particular instance.

I feel very sad that this accident has resulted in the loss of a life but I'm not sure what purpose could be served by a custodial sentence on a young man, if that's what happens.

I have exceeded the speed limit loads of times but guess what, my car has brakes.

He has shown no remorse whatsoever according to the judge and on that basis alone he should go to jail.

I cannot get my head around how anyone could defend that ignorant turd?

Julian 23-08-2017 22:57

The young man convicted is not a true representation of most cyclists.

He is a true representation of a moronic minority who think that they can gad around pretending to be cool and put their bolleaux on social media.

It's just a shame you can't ban the twonk from cycling.

Sirius 23-08-2017 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Banana (Post 35913832)

Nether can I.

Kursk 24-08-2017 01:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Banana (Post 35913832)
I have exceeded the speed limit loads of times but guess what, my car has brakes.

He has shown no remorse whatsoever according to the judge and on that basis alone he should go to jail.

You admit to repeatedly breaking the law (as have we all) but 'having brakes' does not mitigate your (our) guilt :erm:. Speed limits are designed to keep people safe.

As for remorse, some people are not given to outward expression of emotion.

I'm not defending this cyclist btw; I don't have access to all the info/CCTV and obviously if a judge feels a custodial sentence is an appropriate penalty for an accident, then so be it.

Sirius 24-08-2017 07:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35913856)
You admit to repeatedly breaking the law (as have we all) but 'having brakes' does not mitigate your (our) guilt :erm:. Speed limits are designed to keep people safe.

As for remorse, some people are not given to outward expression of emotion.

I'm not defending this cyclist btw; I don't have access to all the info/CCTV and obviously if a judge feels a custodial sentence is an appropriate penalty for an accident, then so be it.

When i drive my car on the road i ensure it meets all the requirements set out in law.

It seems this cretin decided he did not have to meet this criteria. He rode a bike on the road that was deemed illegal on the road. He road a bike that did not have a front brake as required by the law. He decided he was above the law which was then proved false in a court of law

TheDaddy 24-08-2017 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sirius (Post 35913859)
When i drive my car on the road i ensure it meets all the requirements set out in law.

It seems this cretin decided he did not have to meet this criteria. He rode a bike on the road that was deemed illegal on the road. He road a bike that did not have a front brake as required by the law. He decided he was above the law which was then proved false in a court of law

And he's shown zero remorse for her death from what I can tell, normally I feel bad for people in his situation as they have to carry the guilt around for the rest of their lives but this arrogant chump doesn't seem to give a toss