Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Security & Virus Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   VPN Virgin Media (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704446)

gine26 10-02-2017 11:50

VPN Virgin Media

Hi All,
Its my first post. after watching Snowden, i'm a bit paranoid about web security.

i have VM 200MB broadband with the SH3 in modem mode.
that feeds my asus RT-N56U running padavan software.
i then feed into a second router which uses express VPN software on a L2TP software, and then that feeds a switch to feed a panel for internet around the house.
i run a wifi on non vpn software for mobiles, and also a wifi with vpn software.
cctv has to go on the non-vpn router, otherwise i am unable to access remotely.

question i have is....
VM V6 box will not connect to virgin servers or "on demand" when connected on the VPN network. the old tivo does. is there anything i should do to get this to work, or is it best to move to the non-vpn network?

i run apple tv, amazon box - along with pcs via the vpn software - sometimes i get the "amazon service area restriction 4601" code - even though i am on a UK server watching UK amazon - i assume this is because the IP address leaving that server is a blocked one on amazons records?

i'm a novice when it comes to computers, but have managed to get the above working - a bit.

speed via the VPN is reduced from 220mb down to 70mb, but its still plenty to stream from apple and amazon. Had to cancel netflix as they blocks all express vpn ip addresses.

does anyone have any tips on improving the above, or changes to make?

thanks in advance.

Chris 10-02-2017 11:54

Re: VPN Virgin Media

It sounds to me that Virgin is acting the same as many other streaming providers, and banning connections from VPNs so that they can see your IP and establish your location. There are rights issues involved in distributing entertainment online and geographic availability is a key consideration for the tv and film studios which produce the content.

Why do you need to access Virgin's on demand content over a VPN anyway?

gine26 10-02-2017 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35885026)
It sounds to me that Virgin is acting the same as many other streaming providers, and banning connections from VPNs so that they can see your IP and establish your location. There are rights issues involved in distributing entertainment online and geographic availability is a key consideration for the tv and film studios which produce the content.

Why do you need to access Virgin's on demand content over a VPN anyway?

thanks for the reply. just thought it would be easier to keep everything wired (except the cctv) on the one network via the vpn. i could switch both tivo and the v6 box out the vpn, but just wondered if it was the vpn causing the issue.

BenMcr 10-02-2017 12:05

Just to be clear, the older TiVo has it's own broadband connection. The only time it uses the home network is for box to box streaming and the TV Anywhere app remote options. So that's why the VPN isn't an issue.

The V6 uses the home broadband for all network related activity as it doesn't have it's own broadband connection.

gine26 10-02-2017 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35885028)
Just to be clear, the older TiVo has it's own broadband connection. The only time it uses the home network is for box to box streaming and the TV Anywhere app remote options. So that's why the VPN isn't an issue.

The V6 uses the home broadband for all network related activity as it doesn't have it's own broadband connection.

thank you for this.
yes, both are connected via ethernet to the switch, so sounds like the vpn is the issue. i might need to put those two boxes back on the non vpn network.

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

just switched the v6 and tivo box out the vpn network and both are working fine now.