Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Domestic & General Insurance. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=46729)

Nidge 30-04-2006 10:29

Domestic & General Insurance.

We have a few things insured through these guys ranging from the washing machine, Hoover, TV etc etc. Last week the Dyson we have decided to give up working, the missus gave Domestic and General a ring, she gave them our details, the woman on the other end of the phone said we'll get an engineer to ring you and make an appointment, within 2 hours he'd rung made an appointment and fixed it, he was over in Nottingham so he said he'll come and have a look at it, the motor had gone so he put a new motor in the Dyson and away it went, the missus was happy.

On Wednesday the washing machine went on the blink, here's me thinking Jesus what next it'll be out of action for a couple of weeks, we got on the phone to Domestic and General, they were spot on, they booked an engineer to come Friday morning, Friday morning first thing he was there a nice chap with a smile on his face, he got down to his job, I kept him going with tea and bacon sarnies, half an hour later it was working, sign here please he said jobs done the machine was like new.

With so many stories flying about slamming insurance companies I thought this one would be a bit different regarding Domestic and General, they were spot on and nothing was to much trouble for them, I forgot the names of the people I spoke to in their call centre but the 2 engineers we had visit us Andy and Terry were super troopers, once again well done guys you'll keep getting my custom in future.:tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

Apparently all the major retailers use Domestic and General when the companies own guarantee expires so they must be good.

Druchii 30-04-2006 14:32

Re: Domestic & General Insurance.

They sound like a good and genuine companyt who really do want to stick to the contracts set. So, how much did it cost you to be insured by them ? and has it actually paid itself back so to speak ?

handyman 30-04-2006 15:51

Domestic and General do offer comprehensive policies, and they cover accidental damage too so if you where moving your tv and dropped it they would replace old for new :)

I think Miele used them for extended W/tees and they only charged £15 for 5 years :)

Graham M 30-04-2006 16:04

Yeah we have a D&G policy covering stuff here, they've always been really good and the price is right :)

Nidge 30-04-2006 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Druchii
They sound like a good and genuine companyt who really do want to stick to the contracts set. So, how much did it cost you to be insured by them ? and has it actually paid itself back so to speak ?

First time we've ever claimed with them mate, the Dyson cost £40 for 5 years, the washing machine was £90 for the whole year but £10 cheaper if you paid by direct debit, the TV and DVD cover was £100 for 5 years, we extended the washing machine cover because the one we got from Comet had expeired last year, we got mail dropped by Domestic and General telling us that our washing machine cover was up for renewal, it's a good job they mail dropped us,

I was talking to a lad on our street today about them, he'd bought a Bissel aquavac from Argos a few years ago the vacum broke down, Bissel went bankrupt ao he thought he'd shot it, he got in touch with Domestic and General who told him not to worry they'll get him a new one out to him within 5 working days, 2 days later he had a new Bissel hoover on his doorstep. Now thats what I call service.

I reckon the money I've forked out on all the policies with Domestic and General have been paid back to me with service calls, to fix the washer I reckon you'd be looking at the £300 mark with parts and labour, the Dyson I'd say £200, I think I have my monies worth and long may it continue.

DaggaDagga 30-04-2006 19:06

I first saw them recommended on some consumer programme or other. They recommended them very highly over the rip-off shop warranties (that were the subject of the programme).

iadom 30-04-2006 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nidge

I reckon the money I've forked out on all the policies with Domestic and General have been paid back to me with service calls, to fix the washer I reckon you'd be looking at the £300 mark with parts and labour.

If it is the first claim you have made then you will still be well out of pocket. If the cost of the repair had been anywhere near £300 it would have been classed as BER (beyond economic repair)
It is worth noting that in fact all Hoover washing machines have a five year parts warranty so you would only have had to pay for the labour;) , if you had sent for Hoovers own engineers that would have cost around £79.00. Hotpoint machines have had a five year warranty for over 20 years, if you keep your machine for ten years and pay £90 per annum that will cost you £810 excluding the first years g/tee. Even allowing for the poor quality of all sub £300 machines on the market, very few of them would cost anywhere near that in repairs over that period of time on average. I have said many times and I reiterate, maintenance contracts on domestic appliances are good news for the insurer and for the very small percentage of customers who actually benefit from them. They are poor value for the vast majority of people. That said D&G have a very good reputation within our trade.
Our own machine, the ISE can be purchased for £390 or for £450, the latter price includes a full five year guarantee, now that is good value. :)

Nidge 30-04-2006 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom
If it is the first claim you have made then you will still be well out of pocket. If the cost of the repair had been anywhere near £300 it would have been classed as BER (beyond economic repair)
It is worth noting that in fact all Hoover washing machines have a five year parts warranty so you would only have had to pay for the labour;) , if you had sent for Hoovers own engineers that would have cost around £79.00. Hotpoint machines have had a five year warranty for over 20 years, if you keep your machine for ten years and pay £90 per annum that will cost you £810 excluding the first years g/tee. Even allowing for the poor quality of all sub £300 machines on the market, very few of them would cost anywhere near that in repairs over that period of time on average. I have said many times and I reiterate, maintenance contracts on domestic appliances are good news for the insurer and for the very small percentage of customers who actually benefit from them. They are poor value for the vast majority of people. That said D&G have a very good reputation within our trade.
Our own machine, the ISE can be purchased for £390 or for £450, the latter price includes a full five year guarantee, now that is good value. :)

Well I think I got a good deal with them, if the machine and the Dyson breaks down I know I have decent cover from a decent company.

kronas 30-04-2006 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nidge
Well I think I got a good deal with them, if the machine and the Dyson breaks down I know I have decent cover from a decent company.

have to agree there, we called them out twice funnily enough it was a dyson that needed a new motor and a brush faliure on the washing machine, promptly called out engineers on both occasions and not had a problem since.

so we get what we pay for :)

LSainsbury 30-04-2006 21:21

Thanks Nidge - will look at D&G when we purchase white good in the future.

Anybody got an experience of "whateverhappens" insurance scheme - normally found when buying in Currys?

nffc 30-04-2006 21:40

WEH is quite good actually. A lot better than the old DSG plans - apart from PC Performance.

Basically if your thing goes wrong (and it's something WEH covers) DSG have 21 days to repair it before you get it declared BER. Next day service if booked before 10am (subject to parts).

Chimaera 30-04-2006 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsainsbury

Anybody got an experience of "whateverhappens" insurance scheme - normally found when buying in Currys?

If that's Coverplan, don't touch it with a bargepole! I had a Hoover washer dryer that went wrong on several occasions, it always took them over a week to come out and fix it, and then the engineer never had the parts on him to repair it, which meant another day off work for me. I eventually junked that machine after the warranty expired and was talked into another Coverplan policy by the salesman, at a cheaper price when I detailed the shoddy service I had with the previous machine. After three years (and again numerous breakdowns) this second machine also gave up the ghost, but it took them 6 weeks of visits, repairs, repairs to the repairs, eventually resulting in one sympathetic engineer writing the machine off when he saw the catalogue of errors we'd suffered with them. They eventually supplied a new machine - and no I haven't taken out another policy - I'll take my chances with the nice local repair man my friend uses! ;)

nffc 30-04-2006 21:41

I don't know whether this link will work or not but
http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/stor...ateverhappens1
(Currys.co.uk then click the WEH link and the terms/conditions)

C+P here
What does my whateverhappens Service Agreement protect me against?

1) With whatever happens you are protected for the following:
  • Mechanical breakdown
  • Breakdown caused by mishaps (unless your product qualifies for instant replacement)
  • Business use
  • Worldwide protection
  • No charge if no fault is found or fault is due to user error
  • You won't pay a penny extra, labour, parts and general advice are all included
2) One number one call
If your product breaks down please see the information below regarding how to arrange a repair and call whateverhappens customer services on 0870 600 1550.

a) A visit within 2 working days

If we can't solve your problem over the phone and you're calling about one of the products below we'll visit you according to the following visit schedule or at a later date that's convenient to you. Please call whateverhappens customer services on 0870 600 1550. A visit within 2 working days will not apply if you call on a Sunday or Bank Holiday.

TVs over 17inches, Plasma and LCD TVs 24 inches and over, Hi-fis, Microwaves, Desktop PCs, Printers over £100, some fax machines, Sky Satellite, Dishwashers, Cookers, Fridges, Freezers, Fridge-Freezers, Washing Machines, Dryers and some Vacuum Cleaner brands.
If you call before 6pm: We'll visit: Monday to Wednesday 2 days after your call Thursday On the Monday Friday or Saturday On the Tuesday Sunday On the Wednesday

In some outlying areas of the UK the extra distance involved means that we'll service your product promptly but our 2 and 21 day promises won't apply. In some remote locations service will not be available. For more information please ask in-store or call whateverhappens customer services on 0870 600 1550. For PC base units if you call before 10am you will receive next working day service, calls made at the weekend will receive a service visit on the following Tuesday. A next day visit for PC Base units is dependent on the availability of the relevant spare parts.

b) Courier Service

For Laptops if we can't fix your product over the phone, we'll collect it the day after you call, or at a later date that's convenient to you, provided you call before 10am. Excludes Bank Holidays and Weekends. Please see the table below for the best time to call:
If you call : We'll collect: Monday to Thursday Your product 1 day after your call Friday Your product on Monday Saturday Your product on Tuesday Sunday Your product on Wednesday

In some outlying areas of the UK the extra distance involved means that we'll service your product promptly but next working day courier service will not be available. Please ask in store for details or call whateverhappens Customer Services on 0870 600 1550.

If your projector, digital camcorder, camera, some fax machines and some vacuum cleaner brands needs repairing please call whateverhappens Customer Services on 0870 600 1550 and we'll arrange for your product to be sent to our repair centre, it will usually be the day after your call.

c) Come into Store for Repair or Replacement

Please return any of the following products to store for repair or replacement. If parts are needed for your product, it may need to be sent to a technical centre.
Plasma and LCD TVs 23 inches and under, Electric Fires, VCRs, DVDs, TVs 16"and under and the following products over £100, Games Consoles, Telephones (not mobile), Hand-Held Games, other Small Appliances
and some vacuum cleaners.

c) Come into Store for Instant Replacement

If your product qualifies for Instant Replacement and develops a technical fault simply return your product to your nearest store for a brand new replacement on the spot. . For Instant Replacement, we can’t help if your product breaks down as a result of mishaps.

PRODUCTS PRICED BETWEEN £20 AND £100 WHICH QUALIFY FOR INSTANT REPLACEMENT
Irons, Cooking Products (not microwaves), Personal Care Products, External Modems, Cameras, PC Keyboards, Web Cams, Telephones (not mobile), Kettles, Heaters, Joysticks, Organisers, Printers, Calculators, Headphones, Toasters, Fans, Mice, Hand-held games, Handheld PCs, PC Speakers, Scanners, Portable Audio and Hand-Held Liquid Display TVs.

3) What if my product can't be repaired?
Sometimes, we won't be able to fix the problem there and then, but if we can't fix the problem within 21 days you may request a replacement product. A replacement within 21 days is subject to reasonable access to the product for repair. If you're away on holiday and we can't get access to the product we'll fix it when you return, however this will mean the 21 day replacement won't apply. 21 days will start from:

• The date you book your product in for a repair in any Currys store
  • The date when an engineer visit is required for PC base units
  • The date of the engineer's first visit
  • The date the courier picks up your portable product.
Sometimes it's very difficult to get hold of the right buttons, knobs and casing for damaged products. So that we don't disappoint please be aware that this may take longer than 21 days. When a product is still operational and safe to use a 21-day replacement will not apply.

Usually the replacement will be in the form of vouchers to purchase a product of an equivalent specification. Occasionally a fully reconditioned product may be supplied.

If your product is replaced your whateverhappens ‘pay as you go’ Service Agreement will end and you can purchase a new whateverhappens Service Agreement with your replacement product.

4) Will I get software support?
Yes. For help and advice on your PC and its equipment, whether it's a hardware or software related problem, call Currys whateverhappens customer services on 0870 600 1550. It's open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day.

5) Will my Service Agreement protect my PC if I upgrade it?
Your PC will be protected by your Service Agreement if you upgrade it. The upgrade hardware itself will be protected if it's supplied and fitted by a Currys, Dixons or PC World engineer. Present this document to the store to fill in the appropriate box at the time of fitting the upgrade to make sure it's protected.

You won't be protected for:
  • Configuration of user settings such as shared user accounts, views, wizards, printer drivers etc
  • Data back up or recovery

6) What shall I do if my product breaks down outside the UK?
  • Get a quote for repairing your product.
  • If the repair costs the equivalent of £150 or less, or £400 or less for a laptop PC, pay for the repair and claim the cost back from Currys whateverhappens Customer Services. You will need a receipt showing the cost of the repair to do this.
  • If the repair costs the equivalent of more than £150, or more than £400 for a laptop PC, please send details of the repair and a copy of the quote to Currys whateverhappens Customer Services.
  • Please note this also applies if your product breaks down in the Republic of Ireland.
  • Alternatively contact us on (+44) 870 600 1550.

7) How do I amend my agreement details?
If you need to amend any of your whateverhappens details please call whateverhappens Customer Services on 0870 600 1550.

8) Can I transfer my whateverhappens Service Agreement?
You can transfer this Service Agreement to the new owner, free of charge. Write to Currys whateverhappens Customer Services with details of the new owner’s name and address. You will not be able to transfer your Service Agreement if you have purchased a whateverhappens ‘pay as you go’ Service Agreement.

9) Pay As You Go
When you purchase a Currys whateverhappens pay as you go Service Agreement you will pay monthly by direct debit or credit card mandate, giving you product support for however long you need it. Currys whatverhappens will automatically renew your Service Agreement each month unless your product is replaced or you ask to cancel your whateverhappens Service Agreement.

10) Information you need to know
The following items are not included::
  • Regularly replaced items/consumable items
  • Built-in batteries
  • Bulbs
  • Vacuum cleaner belts
  • Lamps used in projectors
  • Cosmetic damage where it does not affect the operation or safety of the product
  • Repair costs that have not been approved
  • Damage or breakdown due to flood, wind or other severe weather conditions
  • The cost of repairing or replacing a product which fails because anyone neglects, abuses or misuses the product
  • Any service or benefit where the Service Agreement has been suspended
  • Inoperability of a product caused by withdrawal of services by a third party
  • Protection for plasma, LCD or rear projection TVs, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners, cooking and laundry products if used for business
  • Image retention on a plasma, LCD or rear projection TV.
  • Theft, loss or consequential loss.
  • Any claim where your monthly payment has not been received by the due date, or where the bank has reclaimed it.

• Your whateverhappens Service Agreement is with DSG Retail Limited, Registered Office: Maylands Avenue, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 7TG. Registered number: 504877

• All Currys whateverhappens Service Agreements are backed by an independent trust fund. The trustee is RBC Trustees Limited.

• We will not be responsible for any failure to carry out our obligations under this Service Agreement if it is caused by any circumstances outside our reasonable control.

• You must do all you reasonably can to keep the costs of providing the service as low as possible and allow us into your home or office at all reasonable times to repair the product.

• We recommend that you back up your data on your computing equipment on a regular basis, as we cannot guarantee to restore data in the event of your product requiring a repair.

• Unless agreed differently with you in writing the language of this Service Agreement and all communications relating to it will be in English and all aspects of the Service Agreement, including negotiation and performance, are subject to English Law and the decisions of English Courts.

• This Service Agreement does not affect your legal rights, which include the right to a remedy for defective goods. If you buy goods which are faulty when sold you have the right to claim for a repair or replacement for up to six years (five in Scotland) from the date of purchase. However, after the first six months you have to show that the fault was there from the start and the longer it takes for the fault to show up the more difficult that becomes. whateverhappens gives you benefits which are in addition to your legal rights and you have the assurance that your product will be repaired free of charge if it fails at any time your agreement is current. Further information about your legal rights can be obtained from your local Trading Standards Department, Citizens Advice Bureau, or through Consumer Direct.

• Where appropriate fully guaranteed reconditioned parts may be used.

• Occasionally you may have to pay for the repair and claim the cost back from us.

• Data Protection - We ask for your name and address so that we can give you an efficient after sales service. We may pass your name to companies within the Dixons group of companies or other organisations that we have carefully chosen. They may contact you with offers of goods and services. If you do not want to be contacted in this way, please write to Currys whateverhappens Customer Services.

To find out more
  • Just ask: in any Currys store
  • Just phone: 0870 600 1550
  • Just e-mail: whateverhappens@currys.co.uk
  • Just write to:
    Currys whateverhappens Customer Services
    PO Box 1686,
    Sheffield,
    S2 5YB,
    England

Currys whateverhappens is the administrator of the Service Agreement and aims to provide the service in accordance with the terms of the Service Agreement. In the event of a complaint please follow the procedure outlined below:

• Contact Currys whateverhappens Customer Services by one of the means indicated above
  • If you are not satisfied with the outcome please write to our Customer Relations Manager at the address above.

If you require literature from Currys in a different format such as Braille, audio cassette or large print please contact Customer Services on 0870 600 1550.

nffc 30-04-2006 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimaera
Quote:

If that's Coverplan, don't touch it with a bargepole! I had a Hoover washer dryer that went wrong on several occasions, it always took them over a week to come out and fix it, and then the engineer never had the parts on him to repair it, which meant another day off work for me. I eventually junked that machine after the warranty expired and was talked into another Coverplan policy by the salesman, at a cheaper price when I detailed the shoddy service I had with the previous machine. After three years (and again numerous breakdowns) this second machine also gave up the ghost, but it took them 6 weeks of visits, repairs, repairs to the repairs, eventually resulting in one sympathetic engineer writing the machine off when he saw the catalogue of errors we'd suffered with them. They eventually supplied a new machine - and no I haven't taken out another policy - I'll take my chances with the nice local reapir man my freind uses! ;)

WEH is better than Coverplan as I have said, 21 days applies which is half the six weeks you'd have previously.

iadom 30-04-2006 22:28

Quote:

Yes, it is Curry's way of conning you into paying over the odds. now that more and more members of the public are coming to realise that extended warranties and insurance cover is a waste of money ( for 95% of the people that pay it ) Curry's new scheme is a monthly payment. On a typical £295 Hotpoint machine it is around £4.50 per month. Or a whacking £216 over the 2nd to 5th years of a machines life. So your machine has actually cost you £511.00 :disturbd:

If it gives you peace of mind then go ahead and waste your money. If you do have any nouse you will put the £4.50 in any form of savings account. The chances are heavily weighted in your favour.

I have only been in the trade for 37 years, I and my colleagues all know that these contracts are the main source of income for the retail sheds, they make more money on these than selling you the appliance in the first place. Car insurance, a legal requirement, house, life, loss of earnings essential , domestic appliance cover, don't be daft people. If you know your legal rights any catastrophic failure would be covered by the sale of goods act. That protects you for between 5 and 6 years. Several of the major manufacturers have 5 year parts warranties on their appliances so even if the machine needed £300.00 worth of parts you would only pay the labour.

I have posted on this subject on this forum several times in the past, you cannot say you have not been warned. :angel:

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:12 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by kronas
a brush faliure on the washing machine,

so we get what we pay for :)

A very common wear and tear fault, average cost to repair between £35 & £50, a lot less than £90.00.