Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Landline too expensive (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33670729)

Rainman 11-10-2010 23:22

Landline too expensive

I am seriously considering getting ride of my landline as it cost far to much.
Considering I now use my PAYG mobile all the time at 8p a call I can't justify keeping the landline phone at 10p a min call and 11p connection plus £12 a month. It seems to me Virgin and BT are just pricing them selves out of any competition. Quite a few friends have said they will give up their landline phones will they ever be as good a deal as they use to be.

martyh 11-10-2010 23:27

Re: Landline too expensive

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainman (Post 35107698)
I am seriously considering getting ride of my landline as it cost far to much.
Considering I now use my PAYG mobile all the time at 8p a call I can't justify keeping the landline phone at 10p a min call and 11p connection plus £12 a month. It seems to me Virgin and BT are just pricing them selves out of any competition. Quite a few friends have said they will give up their landline phones will they ever be as good a deal as they use to be.

I'm in the same position but i am willing to accept the landline cost,despite rarely using it simply to keep the discounts that come with it

MovedGoalPosts 11-10-2010 23:35

Landlines are only cost effective for calls if you have a bundle, such as "free weekend" calls. However to keep the cost of other services like broadband, especially if you are bundling servicews like TV, then it can still be viable to retain the land line, even if you use it minimally.

pabloo 11-10-2010 23:55

get rid...ive just virgin broadband...20 quid a month and 10 quid a month 02 rolling contract and so has the other half..luvly jubly...so 40 quid a month direct debits for half decent bb and 2 mobile phones..u know it makes scense rodney;)

FairyFairy 12-10-2010 09:39

I find the landline calls expensive as well but am willing to keep it to keep the bundle cost - which aren't too bad. I use my PAYGO mobile for daytime and evening calls and the Virgin one for weekend

teddy91 28-10-2010 11:48

I agree with where your coming from, but it is always nice to have a landline. Call me old fashioned!!!

Hugh 28-10-2010 12:00

Also, you are just transferring the cost of the call to your friends (I know some will have inclusive minutes, but not all) - they will pay the charge for connecting to your mobile.

Rainman 28-10-2010 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by teddy91 (Post 35114566)
I agree with where your coming from, but it is always nice to have a landline. Call me old fashioned!!!

Your old fashion Teddy91 , but you are right I still got a old GPO bakelite phone and it still works forget the Ipod's

scorpionatthepc 01-11-2010 19:46

I have the lowest tv package you can have + 10mb broadband and landline. Rung them up and they said I would only be £1 better off if I got rid of the phone line so you can't win.

slowcoach 01-11-2010 20:07

My 50 Mb/s BB and Phone with unlimited 59Min calls bundle means that the phone side costs me roughly £2 a month after the bundle discount, during the month I make on average 20 – 35 Hours of calls, not what I would call too expensive.
Dread to think what I would pay if I used a mobile phone.

RobboEdin 02-11-2010 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpionatthepc (Post 35116588)
I have the lowest tv package you can have + 10mb broadband and landline. Rung them up and they said I would only be £1 better off if I got rid of the phone line so you can't win.

...but surely that is winning. You appear to have a landline for £1 per month!

Maggy 02-11-2010 18:35

I keep mine because it works even under the most extreme of weather conditions.

johnathome 03-11-2010 12:34

I'll keep mine as well so people can get hold of me, it's registered with the doctor/dentist etc.

I just don't use it except when its free.

You know any landline provider is overcharging when calls from a mobile are cheaper.

FairyFairy 03-11-2010 13:16

;)

Virgin must be wondering why not many people are using their landline for charged calls!!!!!!!

RobboEdin 03-11-2010 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by FairyFairy (Post 35117250)
;)

Virgin must be wondering why not many people are using their landline for charged calls!!!!!!!

...and when they find out they will start using the BT trick.

You must use your landline at least two times a month or you will get a £1.50 per month surcharge for non-use.