Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sony Games Systems (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   PS3 - Blu-ray Discs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33633893)

privateb 02-06-2008 16:58

PS3 - Blu-ray Discs

Hello I am thinking of getting a PS3 for myself but I am trying to convince the wife, can any one tell me what the PS3 is like a a blu ray disc player?
Does it connect via hdmi?

BenMcr 02-06-2008 17:25

Re: PS3 - Blu ray DVD

Its flipping fantastic.

AFAIK It is the only upgradable Blu-ray player on the market, and it is the only BD 2.0 Profile player avaliable in the UK at the moment.

It is also one of the cheapest Blu-Ray players out there. It also does a fantastic job of DVD upscaling

And yes it is HDMI

privateb 02-06-2008 18:27

Thanks for getting back to me, does it play normal DVD's aswel?

icestar2 02-06-2008 18:28

Yep can confirm everything BenMcr has said. Brilliant As a Blu-ray player. Especially if you have a nice HDTV :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by privateb (Post 34565738)
Thanks for getting back to me, does it play normal DVD's aswel?

Yes and it upscales :) If you can connect it via PC or use a memory stick it can also play AVI, MP4 etc etc. Brilliant all round player.

Tali 02-06-2008 18:43

The PS3 is a fantastic BD player. Yes it plays DVDs too. If your current DVD player is one with an 5.1 amp/decoder thingy that has optical capability. Can set the PS3 to output through that and get fabbaroony sound too.

Would probably be worth while getting the extra remote control for playing back the bluray stuff. This would probably help make it more wife friendly.

Tezcatlipoca 02-06-2008 21:31

Re: PS3 - Blu-ray Discs

Just to echo all the others...

Yep, it's an excellent Blu-ray Disc (BD) player [one of the best around, going by various reviews I've read], & also does a great job of upscaling DVDs.

It is region locked for both, however.

e.g. a UK PS3 will only play Region 2 (plus region free) DVDs, & Region B (plus region free) Blu-ray Discs (BDs).

Handily, though, quite a few movies have been released on BD with no region coding (even some which are marked on the box as Region A).

e.g. a nice handy list at Movietyme

Where possible, I always buy my BDs online from Movietyme (& sometimes Amazon.com). For ones which haven't been released region free in the US, I normally buy the UK discs from Amazon.co.uk or Sendit.com.

Stay away from the high street when buying Blu-ray Discs... I've seen some utterly ridiculous prices at e.g. HMV etc.

---------- Post added at 20:31 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

Oh, & as well as being BD Profile 2.0 compliant, the PS3 also supports 1080p24 (great if you have a compatible 1080p TV which does 24fps). Plus if you're lucky enough to have a fancy 7.1 HD audio set up, the PS3 supports 7.1 Linear PCM, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio.