Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : A new shortcut? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706950)

cheekyangus 15-10-2018 12:12

A new shortcut?

Obviously VM are promoting the Blue button as a quick shortcut to the HD version of a channel but I just got a message on my V6 that I've never seen before. I'm wondering if this is a long existing, but not well known feature, or a new shortcut.

I fumbled a button press and instead of typing 102 instead, my thumb hit something else and I got brief spinning circle, like it was loading iPlayer, and then it said, right in the middle of the screen "There is no +1 for this channel, press OK to close".

I wasn't sure what I did at first but have now determined that pressing Yellow switches to the +1 version of a channel. It doesn't work on every instance e.g. I got a tech error message when I did so on STV, but the likes of Sky Witness does work.

It isn't as slickly implemented as the Blue for HD button feature, there is the aforementioned spinning circle and flick on and off of the current channel. It is not as immediate to switch over basically. I'd have thought this would use the same tech as the Blue for HD feature so I am surprised it is clunky like this.

So, like I asked earlier, is this new and in testing, or a sidelined old feature?

RobboEdin 15-10-2018 14:21

Re: A new shortcut?

Good find.
Just tried it on Sky Witness, 111, and it swaps to the +1 SD channel, 140.
Interestingly, if you press Yellow on the +1 channel, you get a message telling you you’re already on a +1 channel.
I have to say, however, that I really don’t understand why anyone would find that function useful.

nomadking 15-10-2018 14:41

I suppose you don't have to remember the channel number of the +1, only that of the main channel. Some channels may have the +1 just one channel away, but others don't.

OLD BOY 15-10-2018 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35966596)
Good find.
Just tried it on Sky Witness, 111, and it swaps to the +1 SD channel, 140.
Interestingly, if you press Yellow on the +1 channel, you get a message telling you you’re already on a +1 channel.
I have to say, however, that I really don’t understand why anyone would find that function useful.

Well, if you are channel hopping and stumble on a programme that you like, you can just press the button and it will take you directly to the +1 channel. Saves a few extra button presses.

It isn't designed to work in the opposite direction (ie to the main live channel) when you are already on the +1 channel, as the programme on the live channel has already been aired.

RobboEdin 15-10-2018 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35966607)
Well, if you are channel hopping and stumble on a programme that you like, you can just press the button and it will take you directly to the +1 channel. Saves a few extra button presses.

It isn't designed to work in the opposite direction (ie to the main live channel) when you are already on the +1 channel, as the programme on the live channel has already been aired.

Channel hop on a V6:banghead::banghead:
TiVo boxes are designed to record all and watch at leisure.

OLD BOY 15-10-2018 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35966625)

There are still many diehards who do not do this. However, I am pleased to say that I stopped this practice during the analogue days as it was frustrating and a waste of my time!

Raider999 15-10-2018 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35966625)

Aren't you the same person who was laughing at me because I was struggling to find enough space to record a few programs whilst away for the week?

Now you are saying the TiVo box is designed to record all and watch later - make your mind up!:confused:

RobboEdin 15-10-2018 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35966630)
Aren't you the same person who was laughing at me because I was struggling to find enough space to record a few programs whilst away for the week?

Now you are saying the TiVo box is designed to record all and watch later - make your mind up!:confused:

Yes, it was me but yours is an EXTREME situation.
I record all and watch at leisure, never get above 10% usage.

Raider999 15-10-2018 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35966638)

If you watch that little tv I am surprised you bother with Payton - unless of course you spend all your time watching your recordings.

Unfortunately, some of us have to work.

RobboEdin 15-10-2018 21:25

.. and some of us are retired, having worked hard to reach retirement.

OLD BOY 16-10-2018 07:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35966638)

You can't be watching much, then!

RobboEdin 16-10-2018 15:18

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35966670)
You can't be watching much, then!

Actually we watch a lot but, being retired, we keep up.
We have loads of series links. See the attached screenshots from our box.

OLD BOY 16-10-2018 15:33

We could watch more than we do, I guess, but we tend to avoid watching TV during the day.

I find myself having to cull recordings from time to time, which I don't like doing, but I guess it does ensure that the quality of viewings we have is very high! I haven't watched a mediocre drama in ages now!

Mad Max 16-10-2018 17:13

Have you watched Ozark yet?. OB.

OLD BOY 16-10-2018 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35966723)
Have you watched Ozark yet?. OB.

It's next on my list of Netflix shows to see, Max! I'm looking forward to seeing that.