Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   BBC license change to cover catchup (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33702496)

tweetiepooh 02-03-2016 15:21

BBC license change to cover catchup

BBC source

Change in law planned so close loophole whereby people who watch BBC other than live don't require a TV license - good thing too.

Taf 02-03-2016 15:46

Re: BBC license change to cover catchup

Quote:

Mr Whittingdale also launched a new drive to tackle ad-blocking, saying it poses a similar threat to websites that illegal file-sharing did to music and film a decade ago.
Plus I read the other day that recording on a PVR to watch later will also oblige you to pay the TV license fee.

techguyone 02-03-2016 16:02

Mr Whittingdale can go and do one, I ad block to the hilt, some sites are almost impossible to navigate otherwise.

Mr K 02-03-2016 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35824892)
Mr Whittingdale also launched a new drive to tackle ad-blocking, saying it poses a similar threat to websites that illegal file-sharing did to music and film a decade ago.

What a first class berk. If the web wasn't over the the top with ads it wouldn't be a problem. I don't mind 1 or 2 on a page, but some sites don't know where to stop.

That's reminded me to switch my ad-blocker back on; every Google upgrade seems to switch it off again !

Gary L 02-03-2016 16:28

All they need now is the power and authority (power is no good without authority) to check your PC/Phone/Tablet on the spot to see if you have either an iplayer app or shortcut. to prove you are guilty and eligible to give them some dollars.

we all love dollars!
we will kill our granny for a few dollars!

Chris 02-03-2016 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35824887)
BBC source

Change in law planned so close loophole whereby people who watch BBC other than live don't require a TV license - good thing too.

Good.

The law needs to catch up with technology.

---------- Post added at 16:49 ---------- Previous post was at 16:46 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35824896)
What a first class berk. If the web wasn't over the the top with ads it wouldn't be a problem. I don't mind 1 or 2 on a page, but some sites don't know where to stop.

That's reminded me to switch my ad-blocker back on; every Google upgrade seems to switch it off again !

The report also said:

Quote:

Mr Whittingdale said he would be meeting "representatives from all sides of the argument" in the coming weeks to discuss the issue, adding that he did not think ad-blockers should be banned.
It sounds to me as if he thinks the way forward is to show certain advertisers that their behaviour has been counterproductive.

General Maximus 02-03-2016 18:46

the whole thing is a joke and they need to get rid of it completely. How can it be legal to pay for something which you don't use. Just because you have a tv doesn't mean I am going to watch the BBC. The BBC is **** and get all my stuff from the hundreds of channels Sky provides. Why should I pay two subscriptions?

They had might as well make it law that everyone in the country pays road tax because we all walk on paths and use roads to get from A to B. If I won the euromillions I love to bring it up in the European court of human rights.

heero_yuy 02-03-2016 18:52

We don't watch their main channels so by logic we never use catch up either.

Will TVL bozo's be accosting mobile and tablet users in the street and demanding to see their TV license on the basis that they must be watching the BBC because they could?

It's like owning a car and being done for speeding because you could.:rolleyes:

Taf 02-03-2016 18:58

The license is to use TV receivers, it's not just about the BBC.

heero_yuy 02-03-2016 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35824922)
The license is to use TV receivers, it's not just about the BBC.

As far as we're concerned it is simply a BBC tax and we don't pay it. Haven't paid it for the last decade. We reserve the right to watch all non BBC channels.

Chris 02-03-2016 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35824917)
the whole thing is a joke and they need to get rid of it completely. How can it be legal to pay for something which you don't use. Just because you have a tv doesn't mean I am going to watch the BBC. The BBC is **** and get all my stuff from the hundreds of channels Sky provides. Why should I pay two subscriptions?

They had might as well make it law that everyone in the country pays road tax because we all walk on paths and use roads to get from A to B. If I won the euromillions I love to bring it up in the European court of human rights.

Your council tax pays for services you don't use too.

Parliament believes that forcing TV users to buy a licence, and using the funds raised to run a public service broadcaster, is the best way of ensuring that there is a benchmark of quality and breadth of content in UK broadcasting.

TheDaddy 02-03-2016 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35824924)
Your council tax pays for services you don't use too.

Parliament believes that forcing TV users to buy a licence, and using the funds raised to run a public service broadcaster, is the best way of ensuring that there is a benchmark of quality and breadth of content in UK broadcasting.

The council tax pays for essential services, the idiot box isn't essential, perhaps they're bringing this in to cover the legal fees for the paedophile cover up.

Stuart 02-03-2016 20:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35824926)
The council tax pays for essential services, the idiot box isn't essential, perhaps they're bringing this in to cover the legal fees for the paedophile cover up.

Depends on what you call essential.

I believe Schools still use TV as part of Children's education. Would that not be classed as essential?

General Maximus 02-03-2016 20:36

yes it but I am not ordering you to give me money so that I can fund the National Geographic channel for schools and they aren't allowed to watch anything else.

They need to make BBC channels a bundle option just like movies and sports. They aren't included in the basis package but if you want them it is an extra £5/month. I think there was a news article about this on this forum a few years ago when VM and SKY did a deal. Sky owned the rights to a group of channels like Sky 1, Sky Living, and a few channels like the CBS channels. VM wanted them and Sky were going to charge them £X amount per user but they ended up doing a swap because VM owned a similar group of channels which Sky wanted to offer to their subscribers so they ended up doing a link for like swap.

They really need to get rid of the tv license. If you made people pay for it then you would really see how many people actually wanted it. There just isn't any value for money when you compare it to the quality and variety of programming offered by Sky. Think about all the US shows you gets on Sky 1, Atlantic, all the excellent stuff on scifi, the numerous music channels, international tv channels (you would be amazed how informative al jazerra and france 24 are) not to mentioned the Discovery Channel, National Geographic and Eden etc.

There is a reason why Sky, Virgin and BT tv services exist; terrestrial tv is crap.

Maggy 02-03-2016 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35824917)

I don't have any children in school but I still pay tax so I don't have to live in a country of stupid people.