Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Samsung 3110 V+ internal fan size? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33655035)

mudfrog 05-09-2009 22:44

Samsung 3110 V+ internal fan size?

Hi all,

Does anyone know the size of the internal fan on the new Samsung V+ box?

I'm thinking of replacing it with something a bit quieter if possible.
It's not LOUD but it's there and sometimes my ears tune in to it so it would be nice to make it quieter.

Thanks!

Ben B 05-09-2009 22:46

Re: Samsung 3110 V+ internal fan size?

Hi mudfrog,

I wouldn't advise you changing the fan in your V+ as it isn't yours, it remains the property of Virgin Media, so it would be a breach of T&C's if you tampered with it which would leave you with a large bill if you broke it by doing so.

Ben :)

mudfrog 05-09-2009 23:18

Ok, any tips to make it quieter then?

Surely the noise shouldn't be noticable. If it was in a closed TV unit perhaps it wouldn't be but mines an open one and it is. And no I won't replace the unit. I've only just bought it ;)

Ben B 05-09-2009 23:22

In other words you're not paying for your TV services or am I not understanding what you mean?

mudfrog 05-09-2009 23:28

I meant only just bought the open TV unit :D

It's not a major thing but as there was no noise from my old box to me it is noticable.
I know what you mean about the T&C's but still it is tempting if I can get a quieter fan.

Ben B 05-09-2009 23:33

Oh right sorry your post was a bit confusing (or I'm easily confused) haha. Is it the fan noise that you can particularly here, or the vibrations from the TV unit from the fan. You could try putting something under the feet if it's vibrations. But otherwise I don't know what else you can do.

Graham M 05-09-2009 23:34

Try some Blue-tac underneath the feet of the box

mudfrog 05-09-2009 23:49

Well i could be the HD I suppose.
I've had a closer listen and it's more of a whine than a fan humming.

I might just move it further back into the unit and use some of that non slip mat stuff you can get to see if that improves it.

Thanks guys!

deathtrap3000 06-09-2009 01:50

Stick a pencil in the fan. That will shut it up and it wont look like you tampered with it when it melts and you need a replacement.

musicbravo 06-09-2009 21:34

WARNING! - The following comment is not particularly helpful.

To all those people who slated the SA v+ for being noisy, it is nice to see the hallowed Sammy v+ has got its own set of problems and is not in fact perfect.

Im just quite suprised that one of the issues is in fact noise again. Maybe VM should combine the best bits of both boxes and create the V+ Ghia addtion. All the speed and noise insulation people want, actually delivered in one working box.

Now for the helpful part:-
both boxes are great bits of kit, yes they have their issues, but at least if they go wrong they get repaired/replaced for free unlike other companies (go outside and look up)