Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Transferring Telephone (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33674382)

Downloads 30-01-2011 21:21

Transferring Telephone

Don't know if there is any knowledgeable person here, but I just called Virgin to transfer my telephone back to VM and I told 'em i wanted to keep my number. They said they will add the telephone to my package but that I would need to tell Sky I wanted to transfer my number to Virgin as part of the cancellation.

That didn't sound right to me, but fair enough if it is, just wanted to make sure now rather than later.

Any confirmation that CS was correct/incorrect would be appreciated!

jb66 30-01-2011 22:53

Re: Transferring Telephone

You'll need to ask sky for a number porting code to give to virgin

Downloads 30-01-2011 23:02

Thanks very much for that, that sounds realistic, I couldn't understand what Sky would do with the information I was transferring to Virgin, I assumed there must be an exchange of something, the CS rep never told me I needed a code!

Thanks again!

BenMcr 31-01-2011 09:39

You don't need a 'number porting code' to transfer a landline number from one provider to another

That's for mobiles!

---------- Post added at 08:39 ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 ----------

For a landline all you need to do is give your new provider the number you want to keep. They should then do the rest

What you shouldn't do is cancel your Sky account until the port has been arranged - as the line needs to be active to accept the request. Reqesting cancellation yourself stops this happening

jb66 31-01-2011 21:35

What's to stop folk stealing numbers?

Downloads 01-02-2011 01:03

Ahh man. So basically I have to call CS back up and ask them again. Typical.

Thanks for the help.

Digital Fanatic 01-02-2011 18:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35163012)
What's to stop folk stealing numbers?

The current user of the number would get a letter from their provider, saying the've had a porting request.

Downloads 01-02-2011 23:50

I just called them back yet again and they said you can't number port from Sky to Virgin...

I'm getting slightly frustrated now!

Man I hate calling India.

Is this true?

Peter_ 01-02-2011 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Downloads (Post 35164280)
I just called them back yet again and they said you can't number port from Sky to Virgin...

I'm getting slightly frustrated now!

Man I hate calling India.

Is this true?

Call tomorrow morning from 0800 onwards the earlier the better to get more sense out of them.