Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Modem mode or disable wireless? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33687453)

jempalmer 04-05-2012 00:16

Modem mode or disable wireless?

Has anyone tried just disabling wireless on the shub as opposed to using modem mode? I'm asking because mine is using this setup linked to a DIR-615. Haven't had a chance to check on lan port availability/wireless range yet. Just curious :)

General Maximus 04-05-2012 06:34

Re: Modem mode or disable wireless?

wireless is just one of the many flaws in the shub. You will still be doing yourself a favour by putting it into modem mode and using a proper router because the shub in routing mode, wireless aside, has still got many issues.

jempalmer 04-05-2012 10:24

Thank you General. The last two techs who visited recommended turning off wireless as opposed to using modem mode. That's the reason for my question really. They didn't mention whether or not they personally had the Shub set up that way :)

TbGbe 04-05-2012 13:09

Basically, the consensus seems to be :-

If you don't need wireless, turn it off.
If you don't need router ports, use modem mode.

If you want both Router Ports and Wireless, use modem mode with your own router.

General Maximus 04-05-2012 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by jempalmer (Post 35423194)
Thank you General. The last two techs who visited recommended turning off wireless as opposed to using modem mode. That's the reason for my question really. They didn't mention whether or not they personally had the Shub set up that way :)

If you are going to go to the effort of hooking up another router to use as an access point you had might as well use its entire routing functionality and not the shubs

jempalmer 04-05-2012 14:16

That's what I've done mon General. Thank you to everyone for their help. I now have a reliable wireless connection. Wow what a novelty!!!! :D

qasdfdsaq 04-05-2012 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by TbGbe (Post 35423270)
Basically, the consensus seems to be :-

If you don't need wireless, turn it off.
If you don't need router ports, use modem mode.

If you want both Router Ports and Wireless, use modem mode with your own router.

Basically, if you want to do what the Superhub claims to do in its feature list, don't use the Superhub?

jempalmer 04-05-2012 15:58

It's a fantastic (and I use that word literally) idea though? :D

TbGbe 05-05-2012 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq (Post 35423317)
Basically, if you want to do what the Superhub claims to do in its feature list, don't use the Superhub?

As I said, that seems to be the consensus of opinion :confused: