Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : Reminders on TiVo (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33676960)

richardc1983 20-04-2011 20:17

Reminders on TiVo

Due to have TiVo installed a week on Saturday.

Reading a lot of posts about TiVo that say there isnt a reminder system.

So if you have a scedule of programs that you want to watch through the evening, how do you know when they are on other than recording ever single one of them and having to go into your recordings to view it.

Hope the implement a reminders system soon.

VirginMediaPhil 20-04-2011 20:22

Re: Reminders on TiVo

Yep it's going to be hard. There are people telling us to "record everything" but I personally don't want to that and will continue to watch television live.

I'm trying to figure out a system I can use via iCal on my Mac as a reminder function instead.

richardc1983 20-04-2011 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirginMediaPhil (Post 35218151)
Yep it's going to be hard. There are people telling us to "record everything" but I personally don't want to that and will continue to watch television live.

I'm trying to figure out a system I can use via iCal on my Mac as a reminder function instead.

Seems really daft to not have that option as well as record.

I will be watching live tv as well.

pythagoras 20-04-2011 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by VirginMediaPhil (Post 35218151)

Do you have an iphone?

richardc1983 20-04-2011 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by pythagoras (Post 35218176)
Do you have an iphone?

Yes I do.

pythagoras 20-04-2011 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardc1983 (Post 35218179)
Yes I do.

I use the Radio Times app. I select the programs I want to be reminded of and then email them to myself. When you open the email on the iphone you click on the program name and you get the option to add this program as an event with an alarm a set time before the program starts. Works very well for me.

Regards

John

muppetman11 20-04-2011 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by pythagoras (Post 35218185)
I use the Radio Times app. I select the programs I want to be reminded of and then email them to myself. When you open the email on the iphone you click on the program name and you get the option to add this program as an event with an alarm a set time before the program starts. Works very well for me.

Regards

John

Would be even easier if the function was on the box ;)

jb66 20-04-2011 21:02

Your supposed to record everything so you can skip the adverts! :)

pythagoras 20-04-2011 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35218195)
Would be even easier if the function was on the box ;)

As the box dosnt have that functionality, I thought I would help a member with a work around.

muppetman11 20-04-2011 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by pythagoras (Post 35218198)
As the box dosnt have that functionality, I thought I would help a member with a work around.

Agreed pal , but software can be changed.

carlwaring 20-04-2011 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardc1983 (Post 35218148)
So if you have a scedule of programs that you want to watch through the evening, how do you know when they are on other than recording ever single one of them and having to go into your recordings to view it.

BINGO! Welcome to the 21st Century.

If you still want to sit down at a specific time to watch a specific show, why the heck did you waste money on a Tivo? :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb66 (Post 35218196)
Your supposed to record everything so you can skip the adverts! :)

Exactly!

Hugh 20-04-2011 21:21

However, some people would like the functionality of a reminder - they are not asking for a first-born child, just some functionality they already have on another box.

You may not think it is needed (I in fact don't use it on the V+ box), but others do, as is their right.

carlwaring 20-04-2011 21:22

Fair enough. I don't have - and never have had - a problem with that. I wouldn't mind their answering the question I asked though.

alwaysabear 20-04-2011 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlwaring (Post 35218225)
BINGO! Welcome to the 21st Century.

If you still want to sit down at a specific time to watch a specific show, why the heck did you waste money on a Tivo? :confused:

You must be one of the very few people who do not watch TV live. We all record TV when there is a clash or we are occupied doing other things , but to record everything seems some what slavish to TiVo.

pythagoras 20-04-2011 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardc1983 (Post 35218179)
Yes I do.

I found a better solution for you:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/tvgui...317212648?mt=8

Its free, can be set up for virgin media packages and its just touch to set a reminder and an ical event, which of course will sync the reminder to all your iDevices and iMac.

Regards

John.

I'll be using this now instead of the radio times app. Its a cracking interface on the iPad!