Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Complete Newbie! What does install involve? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33675935)

Pr3sario 17-03-2011 16:04

Complete Newbie! What does install involve?

Hi guys,

I suppose this is sort of a duplicate post so I will delete my other one as I think its more appropriate here...

As a complete newbie to cable - I don't have a clue how it works. I am having Virgins 30MB Broadband installed and I wondered what I should expect - and how the install will look from the outside of the flat?

I read about construction etc on here - will they have to dig up the street I live in just to get cable to me? Or is it likely there will be a duct close to the flat that they will run the wire from?

Does it cause a nuisance to neighbours having this done? I am new to the area and I don't want to get a reputation for thinking about myself over others - not yet anyway ;)

Can someone tell me how they deliver the service from cabinet to house in layman’s terms please?

Thanks in advance.

weesteev 17-03-2011 16:55

Re: Complete Newbie! What does install involve?

Impossible to say Presario (construction issue). If your building has existing wiring then it shouldnt be an issue, there's a chance your flat is internally wired but if not then the cable will be run externally.

If your area is mostly MDU's and there are existing customers then I dont think anyone will consider it a nuisance as it would be a common occurance to have Virgin installers around the street.

Service is delivered in one of 2 primary methods depending on where you live. Your service will either run from a slotbox in the footpath or from a Cabinet. That cabinet will either be located on the footpath at the entrance to your street normally, or if the building is prewired then the cabinet will be located in a riser cupboard or comms room.

Hope this helps, give me a shout if you need anymore Info or help.

:)

Pr3sario 17-03-2011 17:14

Thanks for your answer. Its appreciated!

One more question arising from what you have said. If they plan to run a wire from the cabinet to the flat is this done below ground or above ground on pylons? If under ground is this what may involve some construction?

weesteev 17-03-2011 17:22

All network is distributed under ground in our duct network until the exit point, normally a tee. A tee is an exit point where the Siamese cable leaves the duct and enters the customers property or building. Virgin don't distribute service on poles at the moment.

If there is a Tee feeding your building already then there shouldn't be an issue, if there are visible cables on your building already then you should be ok. If you want to PM me your address and postcode I can check and confirm this for you?

HTH