Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub - slow wifi (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33674792)

gdbagley 10-02-2011 21:37

Superhub - slow wifi

Hi everyone,

Just got my superhub and have set it up with my previous wireless settings; custom name, WPA2 password, mac filters, hidden SSID.

Anyway, on my mac which is connected via Ethernet to the hub, speedtest.net gives me 30mb(+ sometimes) which is great, but anything wifi doesn't reach near.

My iPad reaches 12mb(ish) on the speedtest.net app.

My PS3 connection test shows 4mb, which goes up to 6mb if put as DMZ.

Any ideas why my wireless is so slow? My old wifi router was only on 10mb, so never noticed the slow wifi...but testing it, I get the same speeds (it was a White netgear supplied by VM)

Also, I have a mac connected to a Comtrend 902 - which gives me 20-25mb - these are advertised as able to handle 200mbps lo

Traduk 10-02-2011 22:41

Re: Superhub - slow wifi

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdbagley (Post 35171840)
Hi everyone,

Just got my superhub and have set it up with my previous wireless settings; custom name, WPA2 password, mac filters, hidden SSID.

Anyway, on my mac which is connected via Ethernet to the hub, speedtest.net gives me 30mb(+ sometimes) which is great, but anything wifi doesn't reach near.

My iPad reaches 12mb(ish) on the speedtest.net app.

My PS3 connection test shows 4mb, which goes up to 6mb if put as DMZ.

Any ideas why my wireless is so slow? My old wifi router was only on 10mb, so never noticed the slow wifi...but testing it, I get the same speeds (it was a White netgear supplied by VM)

Also, I have a mac connected to a Comtrend 902 - which gives me 20-25mb - these are advertised as able to handle 200mbps lo

Left on auto the superhub tries to set to 300 on the 2.4 wireless network. If left there and it is being connected to by 54 "g" devices, the speeds, pings and packet loss is atrocious. 144 is not much better.

If the connections are made by 54 devices, I have found that consistent speeds, good pings and no packet loss is achieved by locking the superhub on 54. The superhub ain't so super at finding either the best channel or negotiating the best speed but we can set it down to the fastest of our devices in wireless settings (advanced) and bypass VM's not so super cleverness;)

gdbagley 10-02-2011 23:05

I've just done a scan and found a load of routers all operating on the same channel as mine - they're all 1, 6 or 11. I've set mine to 3, and decreased the speed to 54, but my ipad is still only getting 12ish on the speedtest/net app. Also, no other wireless devices are connected whilst doing the test and the iPad is an N device...

Helix 10-02-2011 23:23

Had the exact same issue. Tried all the channel changes up no luck, other than channel 13 got me up to 10mb over wireless compared with 3 - 6 meg on the other channels. Phoned 151 and they couldn't help, as soon as you say your on a Mac they put you on hold for ages. In the end he said he would have to look it up and call back. That was over 2hrs ago now, so looking unlikely.

I have come up with a sort of solution, I connected my Airport Extreme to the Superhub and set the Airport Extreme up in bridge mode - so the Superhub still assigns IPs but the Airport Extreme provides wireless. I am now getting 30mb consistently over wireless.

Its working OK for now, not sure if its going to cause issues for me down the line. Hopefully they will hurry up an release the firmware update that disables the router, why they didn't have this for launch I don't know.

Traduk 11-02-2011 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdbagley (Post 35171913)
I've just done a scan and found a load of routers all operating on the same channel as mine - they're all 1, 6 or 11. I've set mine to 3, and decreased the speed to 54, but my ipad is still only getting 12ish on the speedtest/net app. Also, no other wireless devices are connected whilst doing the test and the iPad is an N device...

If there is a mixture of device speeds I guess the answer is to try each of the three (300,144,54) to discover which gives the best of what will have to be a compromise.

I do not have multiple devices to connect but from what I have read posted by others I believe that it should auto negotiate according to what is connected with the lowest determining the speed. ( I may be wrong and would welcome correction).

If the above paragraph is in fact true then auto would be best if the only device was an "n" but as soon as a "g" joined, it should negotiate down but how well and how quickly it might accomplish the task could only be seen by somebody with a mixture of devices.

My limited experience is that if the only devices are 54 "g", then locking is preferable because it tries when on auto to randomly use 300. 144 with detrimental effect.

Of the dozen or so that I can see around me most use channel 7 and the superhub in its wisdom also chooses 7.

Helix 11-02-2011 00:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traduk (Post 35171987)

Of the dozen or so that I can see around me most use channel 7 and the superhub in its wisdom also chooses 7.

The auto mode seems to be broken, it seems to choose the channel with the most other devices on it. Around here it is Channel 1 and the superhub chose to use channel 1 when in Auto mode.

techguyone 11-02-2011 10:13

how do you tell what the other nearby routers are using for their channel ?

Peter_ 11-02-2011 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35172063)
how do you tell what the other nearby routers are using for their channel ?

Try Netstumbler http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

qasdfdsaq 11-02-2011 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masque (Post 35172066)

Or if you're not using XP, Vistumber or InSSIDer.

philwhite100 11-02-2011 18:58

I use this bit of free software to see what other users have their wifi channels set to.
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

zekeisaszekedoes 12-02-2011 22:31

A good mixed G/N mode router should be able to handle, say, one of each and still allow both devices to run at their maximum speed, factoring in other things such as other wireless traffic of course. For example, right now I'm transferring files to my NAS via wireless N laptop and also using Google Maps on my BlackBerry. Both are connected to my DIR-615 at their maximum speeds and the N laptop doesn't drop down to G speeds at any point.

Chrysalis 13-02-2011 04:46

to use secondary routers you dont even need to bother with bridge modes, just disable dhcp (and wireless so less competing for bandwidth with each other) on one of the routers.

eg. I have my superhub plugged in, dir615 plugged in, a billion 7402NX plugged in and a speedtouch585 plugged in, total 4 routers.

3 of them I have disabled wireless, left it enabled on the billion as that is brilliant for wireless, however the billion isnt issuing lan ip's only the dir615 has dhcp enabled. I connect wireless devices to the billion (and gigabit lan devices) and it doesnt matter the dhcp will work from the dir615 no problem and the billion is effectively just a switch.

so in a less complex setup you could connect a router with decent wireless to the superhub (ideally by ethernet). and then disable dhcp on that router so just enabled on the superhub and disable wireless interface on the superhub (if connected via ethernet to 2nd router) and should be good to go, connect to 2nd router on wireless with superhub issuing ip as normal.

gdbagley 13-02-2011 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helix (Post 35171939)
Had the exact same issue. Tried all the channel changes up no luck, other than channel 13 got me up to 10mb over wireless compared with 3 - 6 meg on the other channels. Phoned 151 and they couldn't help, as soon as you say your on a Mac they put you on hold for ages. In the end he said he would have to look it up and call back. That was over 2hrs ago now, so looking unlikely.

I have come up with a sort of solution, I connected my Airport Extreme to the Superhub and set the Airport Extreme up in bridge mode - so the Superhub still assigns IPs but the Airport Extreme provides wireless. I am now getting 30mb consistently over wireless.

Its working OK for now, not sure if its going to cause issues for me down the line. Hopefully they will hurry up an release the firmware update that disables the router, why they didn't have this for launch I don't know.

Well,I have a netgear n router at my parents, which had the same configuration as my old wifi router and napow my super hub. My iPad only gets 10mbish there. Maybe it's just netgears.

I like the look of the airport extremes, can I ask which model you have? I'm looking to get a dual band one, I know theres two model numbers, if you're getting 30mb over wireless, then I can at least know which models are good..

Peter_ 13-02-2011 14:25

I have put on my old Edimax BR6504n with DHCP disabled and it is working fine.

muppetman11 13-02-2011 15:30

Superhub review

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wirel...edia-super-hub