Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : TiVo Picture Quality (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33676917)

Stephen 06-05-2011 11:26

Re: TiVo Picture Quality

Quote:

Originally Posted by toady (Post 35230127)
Or they had the Samsung V+ and not the superior picture quality of the SA V+

For me the Samsung had vastly superior PQ to the SA V+

DaBoz 06-05-2011 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35230136)
For me the Samsung had vastly superior PQ to the SA V+

I have to agree it was definitely better. But then again, perhaps I didn't configured my SA output properly!

Boz

brava210 07-05-2011 10:47

Watching eurosport today,World Superbikes I could not read the Rider names at the Bottom of the screen........They were to Fuzzy.

Plugged in the old V+ no problem...:(:(:(

fatbloke 08-05-2011 18:34

I would like to say that my Tivo SD picture quality is good and the HD is excellent.:)

scgf 08-05-2011 18:45

It is so nice not to be the lone voice condemning TiVo SD picture quality. It really made me rethink the whole VM package.

I am now enjoying Freeview HD and loving it. SD and HD picture quality both better than TiVo and no monthly charge! If you are finding you are mostly watching channels which are on Freeview think on! I bought a 3View box which can access iPlayer and is having features added all the time. It has 2 tuners built in and does series links very well.

WDLaserjetGLOVER 08-05-2011 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by scgf (Post 35231947)
It is so nice not to be the lone voice condemning TiVo SD picture quality. It really made me rethink the whole VM package.

I am now enjoying Freeview HD and loving it. SD and HD picture quality both better than TiVo and no monthly charge! If you are finding you are mostly watching channels which are on Freeview think on! I bought a 3View box which can access iPlayer and is having features added all the time. It has 2 tuners built in and does series links very well.

If you find Freeview PQ better than your Tivo, there is something wrong with it.

devilincarnate 08-05-2011 18:57

Can I just ask a question of the ones on here who have not had a V+ box (or not had VM TV service) what do you think of the TIVO PQ. I know that it may be a small number but I am sure that there is a few out there?

scgf 08-05-2011 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDLaserjetGLOVER (Post 35231959)
If you find Freeview PQ better than your Tivo, there is something wrong with it.

IMHO there is indeed something wrong with VM TiVo full stop! I returned it and am much happier. My 3View box gives me more acceptable SD pictures than the TiVo - because there is a sharpness and definition which is absent on TiVo. I was all set to try out Freeview and return the box if I found the picture worse. I am not saying that any platform provides high quality SD, far from it, but IMO TiVo was the pits.

I have seen a wide range of picture quality across Freeview boxes - some are really poor with evident pixellation and movement blur, some are just rather soft (like the Humax). My friend has a Hitachi LCD panel with built-in Freeview and her picture just looks so bad. I did my homework before purchasing my box and reckon I have made an excellent choice. 3View are innovating and are trialling IP HD channels starting at channel 900 and these are really good quality.

fatbloke 08-05-2011 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35231965)
Can I just ask a question of the ones on here who have not had a V+ box (or not had VM TV service) what do you think of the TIVO PQ. I know that it may be a small number but I am sure that there is a few out there?

Well I was not a TV customer with Virgin and I only have Sky HD to compare it with but I would say that picture quality on the SKY BOX is better but it is marginal..there is not a lot between them.

Also with picture quality surely the TV would would have some bearing on the outcome, on my Toshiba 37 inch the picture quality is very good.

devilincarnate 08-05-2011 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatbloke (Post 35231975)
Well I was not a TV customer with Virgin and I only have Sky HD to compare it with but I would say that picture quality on the SKY BOX is better but it is marginal..there is not a lot between them.

Also with picture quality surely the TV would would have some bearing on the outcome, on my Toshiba 37 inch the picture quality is very good.

Have you tried the TV settings / TIVO settings as well as a few on here have and they say they have go a slightly better picture?

fatbloke 08-05-2011 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by devilincarnate (Post 35231977)
Have you tried the TV settings / TIVO settings as well as a few on here have and they say they have go a slightly better picture?

I will have a play but I am happy with the PQ.

devilincarnate 08-05-2011 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatbloke (Post 35231987)
I will have a play but I am happy with the PQ.

Glad so am I. Very happy with the PQ and also the service and the box as well:D:D:D

muppetman11 08-05-2011 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by scgf (Post 35231973)
IMHO there is indeed something wrong with VM TiVo full stop! I returned it and am much happier. My 3View box gives me more acceptable SD pictures than the TiVo - because there is a sharpness and definition which is absent on TiVo. I was all set to try out Freeview and return the box if I found the picture worse. I am not saying that any platform provides high quality SD, far from it, but IMO TiVo was the pits.

I have seen a wide range of picture quality across Freeview boxes - some are really poor with evident pixellation and movement blur, some are just rather soft (like the Humax). My friend has a Hitachi LCD panel with built-in Freeview and her picture just looks so bad. I did my homework before purchasing my box and reckon I have made an excellent choice. 3View are innovating and are trialling IP HD channels starting at channel 900 and these are really good quality.

I don't want to watch SD full stop and with 50+ HD channels I very rarely do , SD sucks on HDTV's over 40" end of.

scgf 08-05-2011 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatbloke (Post 35231975)

SD on Sky is terrible - VM is better, even TiVo! VM swings it by doing better upscaling on their V+ than Sky does with its HD boxes.

As regards the TV, people like myself have several HD sources connected to one hdmi input on the TV. I have tweaked and configured my plasma panel to eliminate digital trickery and all the other sources look great with SD (Blu-Ray, WM V+, Apple TV, French TNT-SAT, Freeview). TiVo looks poor. Hence there is a problem if a TV has to be tweaked specifically for one device and digital processing introduced (because that's the only way you can go if you have it all switched off for other devices).

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35231997)
I don't want to watch SD full stop and with 50+ HD channels I very rarely do , SD sucks on HDTV's over 40" end of.

I can understand this, but I like programmes on channels like BBC 3 and 4, or BBC 2, or Yesterday, or Dave. I'd be cutting off my nose to spite my face if I only watched HD. Maybe when the whole lot is HD I might move to Sky HD if the price is right and they remove the silly HD tax.

DaBoz 08-05-2011 19:42

Just watching BGT on catchup (itv player)... OMG is this normal quality from on demand (not HD)? Really pixelated with fast movement, soft and fuzzy quality. Certainly worse than the live image. Is this normal?