Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Virgin Media Dynamic or Static? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33627053)

dodmoor 15-01-2008 19:24

Virgin Media Dynamic or Static?

Sorry if this has been asked before but i think Virgin have a dynamic ip address for all their customers but, my ip address doesn't seem to change?
why is that and what can i do to change it? please?

MovedGoalPosts 15-01-2008 19:45

Re: Virgin Media Dynamic or Static?

Your IP address is dynamic, but that doesn't mean it will change often if at all. Your modem gets it's IP address as a lease from the Virgin Media server. That lease will have an expiry time. Simply rebooting your modem doesn't reset the lease, indeed the server just reallocates the old IP.
You could simply power off your modem for the length of time needed to let the lease expire. However, Even if your lease were to expire, many areas are that busy that you would get the old IP re-allocated.

Probably the most reliable way of forcing an IP change is to change the mac address of the device connected to the modem, and then reboot the modem. That is relatively easy if you use a router where you are able to "clone" mac addresses of the connected computer cards into the router (and thus potentially change a small part of that address). Not so achievable if you use a direct modem to computer conection.

Don't confuse mac addresses of network device such as ethernet cards, with mac addresses of the modems themselves.

There is an article on this.

dodmoor 15-01-2008 19:49

Ok thanks, EDIT: I saw the link

dodmoor 15-01-2008 20:09

Internet not working after changing IP address

Hi I changed my IP address using the ipconfig /renew trick and it worked but the only problem was my internet didn't work even after i restarted router and left it for a minute
I had to shutdown PC, modem , router everything and internet works is there any way i can get past this??
Thanks

MovedGoalPosts 15-01-2008 20:14

The modem will treat the new mac address of the reset router as a newly connected device. The modem can't see that new device until it is rebooted. Thus rebooting modem, router and probably computer(s) can't be avoided.

Reality is that changing an IP address shouldn't be something users really need to do, unless of course they are trying to get round some security ban somewhere ;)

MagicMan 15-01-2008 23:36

My IP address hasnt changed in over a year, kind of makes a mockery of the Dynamic DNS service that I use lol but you never know hehe

As far as I know, if you switch between using the USB and Ethernet ports on the modem you will get a different IP address as they have different MAC addresses but I have been known to be wrong occasionally lol

deed02392 16-01-2008 00:16

Rob, do you know why that my Modem doesn't like any other MAC than that of the PC with which we first registered with NTL broadband? Any other MAC and I don't get an IP at all...

Does this mean I'm practically stuck with the same IP forever!

MovedGoalPosts 16-01-2008 00:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by deed02392 (Post 34471101)
Rob, do you know why that my Modem doesn't like any other MAC than that of the PC with which we first registered with NTL broadband? Any other MAC and I don't get an IP at all...

Does this mean I'm practically stuck with the same IP forever!

That shouldn't make a difference if you have a modem. With the Set Top Box broadband each different device had to be separately registered, but with a modem, it's the modem that is registered, not the connected device.

deed02392 16-01-2008 20:54

Whilst I was originally connected to an STB, that is not the case now. However, despite what you said, if my MAC address is anything other than the computer that I first registered with Virgin, then the Modem outrightedly refuses to communicate at all. Even its built in web page does not load, and my router never leaves the 'Renewing lease' status.