Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered ! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704414)

Cable Forum 06-02-2017 16:31

Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered !

Brand new thread to discuss issues surrounding The UK Exit of the European Union.

Prior thread became bloated and it was becoming heated at times. Old thread will be closed and archived, as it was mainly about the Post debate and discussion after June 23rd 2016 Referendum.

It must be accepted on both sides of the argument that people have differing views. It is impossible for people to agree on stuff.

Similar issues with the old thread must not occur in this thread or action may be taken.

Stuart 06-02-2017 16:46

Re: UK Exit of EU (Brexit)

My own personal view is that regardless of whether we voted to leave or remain, I'd like to see us work together as a country to make things better. The trouble is, I am not convinced our current government have anyone's interests at heart but their own.

broadbandking 07-02-2017 16:35

I believe that if we can get a good deal on brexit then we will be on course for something great, I am sure the other countries wouldn't want to lose the money the UK spends on imports, due to our lack of a industry.

pip08456 07-02-2017 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadbandking (Post 35884441)
I believe that if we can get a good deal on brexit then we will be on course for something great, I am sure the other countries wouldn't want to lose the money the UK spends on imports, due to our lack of a industry.

Yes but it is a two way street, we also need exports. Not insurmountable though.

Mick 07-02-2017 16:56

Prime Minister Theresa May, going to China later this year, just been announced on news.

Paul 07-02-2017 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 35884300)
I am not convinced our current government have anyone's interests at heart but their own.

I'm pretty sure that applies to the previous ones as well.

denphone 07-02-2017 19:37

Feathering their own nest and political ends springs to mind..

papa smurf 07-02-2017 20:17

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

Brexit debate: MPs vote down Labour move to give parliament veto over Brexit deal by majority of 33 -

pip08456 07-02-2017 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35884475)
Feathering their own nest and political ends springs to mind..

Isn't that what being an MP is all about?

denphone 08-02-2017 06:29

Being a government or a MP means IMO the government and MP's putting the wider interests of this country first ahead of its own selfish personal interest's and agenda's and l have not seen that for a long long while sadly.

tweetiepooh 08-02-2017 10:41

As I mentioned in the old thread some MP's are in a bind over this issue. The country voted leave but their constituency may have voted to stay, in some cases by a large margin.

Because we have a representative system whose wishes should they most closely follow? The country or those who actually elected them. This isn't a conscience issue so I don't think MP's can simply follow their own agenda.

martyh 08-02-2017 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35884539)
As I mentioned in the old thread some MP's are in a bind over this issue. The country voted leave but their constituency may have voted to stay, in some cases by a large margin.

Because we have a representative system whose wishes should they most closely follow? The country or those who actually elected them. This isn't a conscience issue so I don't think MP's can simply follow their own agenda.

They should really be supporting the referendum result even if their constituents went the other way because come what may that is going to happen

pip08456 08-02-2017 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35884635)
They should really be supporting the referendum result even if their constituents went the other way because come what may that is going to happen

If an MP won't uphold the wishes of his constituents what is he doing there? We know it won't change the referendum result but what's the point of voting for them if they won't represent you?

Osem 08-02-2017 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35884638)
If an MP won't uphold the wishes of his constituents what is he doing there? We know it won't change the referendum result but what's the point of voting for them if they won't represent you?

Unless we have referenda about everything how is any MP supposed to know what that majority of their constituents want on any given topic? Even when we have a referendum the results can be disputed or challenged as we have seen.

martyh 08-02-2017 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35884638)

As regards the vote the other night then there is nothing to uphold really, every mp should have voted the same way imo,but as for the future debates on how we leave Europe and the deal we get then i would agree that the MP's need to go with what their constituents want because each area in the country will feel the effect differently