Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Martin McGuinness has died (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704643)

Sirius 21-03-2017 06:20

Martin McGuinness has died

Former IRA chief-of-staff Martin McGuinness has died at the age of 66.

http://news.sky.com/story/former-ni-...ed-66-10809326

TheDaddy 21-03-2017 06:20

Re: Martin McGuinness has died

Good...

Sirius 21-03-2017 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35891011)
Good...

Indeed

tweetiepooh 21-03-2017 09:55

No - not good. He has family and friends and he is still a person. Further you don't know if his death may make way for someone worse.

Osem 21-03-2017 10:34

I must say I thought the air smelled fresher this morning.

There are no excuses for many of the appalling wrongs he took part in and refused to help resolve to his grave.

Ramrod 21-03-2017 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35891034)
No - not good. He has family and friends and he is still a person. Further you don't know if his death may make way for someone worse.

I'm sure the same was said about Stalin, Pol Pot and Hitler :rolleyes:

Damien 21-03-2017 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35891046)

Hitler wasn't so bad, he did kill Hitler after all. :D

More seriously though McGuinness is going to be a more complicated figure considering his eventual role in the peace process. Hence the mixed reaction this morning.

Sirius 21-03-2017 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35891046)

Indeed.

I for one will have a glass of the good stuff and a small cigar tonight knowing he will now be in a hotter place than i am. ;)

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35891047)
Hitler wasn't so bad, he did kill Hitler after all. :D

More seriously though McGuinness is going to be a more complicated figure considering his eventual role in the peace process. Hence the mixed reaction this morning.

If he had not carried out the killings and bombings that he was involved in then it might have been a peace process completed a lot sooner. I might have had a bit of respect for him if he had not been been the IRA chief of staff. I am from Warrington a town that lost 2 young kids to a bomb the IRA planted outside Macdonalds on a saturday afternoon knowing it would kill young kids enjoying a burger with there parents. I also met the man on a VCP in Londonderry and he was a cold and evil looking man.

pip08456 21-03-2017 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35891034)
No - not good. He has family and friends and he is still a person.

Try telling that to family's of those murdered by the IRA under his watch who now have very little chance of closure and giving their loved ones a decent burial.

TheDaddy 22-03-2017 01:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35891052)
Try telling that to family's of those murdered by the IRA under his watch who now have very little chance of closure and giving their loved ones a decent burial.

Or the fact he took what little chance of closure they had to the grave with him. His family will get the chance to bury him and grieve for him, how many others are in shallow grave or bogs that he knew about that are simply classed as missing whose families are in limbo. This seems to have been missed amongst all the eulogising that's frankly made me feel a little queasy, he wasn't a Gandhi or a Martin Luther King, he was a murdering scumbag who never showed an ounce of regret for the crimes he helped commit, the fact he played a part in the peace process shouldn't mean all he did previously is forgotten or overlooked. As far as I'm concerned a rather odious individual is dead, big deal.

RizzyKing 22-03-2017 02:26

Yep sorry but this isn't someone who should be celebrated he was a cowardly murdering scumbag and i don't care if he had family and friends who will miss him and that's the only thing i have in common with martin mcguiness as he didn't care for those family and friends of any of his many victims. Rot in hell and i hope it's as bad as it's meant to be your still getting off lightly.

Julian 22-03-2017 06:17

The Jimmy Savile of politics.

Savile not remembered for his charity work but his nefarious deeds.

this character must be remembered for his crimes not his "peace" work....

tweetiepooh 22-03-2017 11:46

I would not wish hell on anyone. And I'm not saying we should celebrate his life but we certainly shouldn't rejoice in his death. We don't forget the bad he did and we must remember those he caused pain. But forgiving is a very important thing and unforgivingness and bitterness has consequences.

Mick 22-03-2017 13:17

I would just like to pay tribute to all the people and victims who DIED and or suffered at his hands, way before their time.

mrmistoffelees 22-03-2017 13:48

I hope he's bouncing up and down on satans fiery spear for an eternity.