Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   4K : UHD on Virgin Media (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704518)

DVD Cinema 22-06-2018 15:49

Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35951470)
Why?
HD channel + TV upscaling = 4K

iPlayer + TV = 4K HLG

Not if it buffers for people and for the limited few.

Mythica 22-06-2018 16:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35951470)
Why?
HD channel + TV upscaling = 4K

iPlayer + TV = 4K HLG

What will be getting upscaled?

awesometeeth 22-06-2018 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVD Cinema (Post 35951490)
Not if it buffers for people and for the limited few.

I've given up on the uhd feed today, just not sticking to the full 4k stream for some reason.

Probably a Virgin issue as other games have been perfect, but still a reminder that it relies on other outside elements to be watchable....

DVD Cinema 22-06-2018 19:47

My old 200Mbps box has been ok today for 4K, but not before.

Just this minute had Hub 3 install, so i’ll see if it is any better.

DVD Cinema 24-06-2018 10:40

The raw Russian feed is 10’s Gbps, WOW!

The BBC thus gets 120Mbps.

I am still curious as to why the BBC went for 36Mbps, quality i assume. What is BT’s 4K bitrate.

BT don’t seem to have a problem with their UHD live football feed, although not in HLG.

The UK IP network can’t currently handle millions of the BBC UHD HLG output. It sounds like the capacity needs to double. Is this going to happen? Or can the BBC lower the bitrate in some way, without affecting quality?

muppetman11 24-06-2018 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVD Cinema (Post 35951621)
The raw Russian feed is 10’s Gbps, WOW!

The BBC thus gets 120Mbps.

I am still curious as to why the BBC went for 36Mbps, quality i assume. What is BT’s 4K bitrate.

BT don’t seem to have a problem with their UHD live football feed, although not in HLG.

The UK IP network can’t currently handle the BBC UHD HLG output. It sounds like the capacity needs to double. Is this going to happen? Or can the BBC lower the bitrate in some way, without affecting quality?

One would suspect it's the BBC that can't cope not your ISP.

DVD Cinema 24-06-2018 11:23

The BBC have said, millions can’t currently watch the UHD feed @ 36Mbps, due to UK capacity.

Is this not true?

muppetman11 24-06-2018 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVD Cinema (Post 35951625)
The BBC have said, millions can’t currently watch the UHD feed @ 36Mbps, due to UK capacity.

Is this not true?

Distribution capacity.

DVD Cinema 24-06-2018 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35951627)
Distribution capacity.

Yes, but when could this be achieved, or is it even planned?

SnoopZ 24-06-2018 12:11

No option here to watch the match in UHD this time, i guess too many people want it!

Got the option now....but something went wrong loading this programme......back to good old upscaled HD to 4K i think.

edit.... working now, until the sound drops or stutters.... sound dropped back to upscaled HD which still looks fantastic on my TV.

Gavin-D 24-06-2018 13:14

UHD stream running perfectly today put it on at 13:02 and its ran fine throughout

Much better than last Monday

ozsat 24-06-2018 16:23

Not had any V6 4k/HDR issues for past two days.

awesometeeth 24-06-2018 17:59

Ive had no buffering at all... but... Ive seen the picture drop down to a different profile instead on a few occasions and the overall picture quality seems lower now than it did at the start.

the japan senegal game was switching quality every ten minutes and at full 4k, you could still see some light shimmering and blocking in areas off the main play, which wasnt present in the first weeks production.

dont know if that was just a one off or if they have changed encoding settings/bit rate....

plus I see no news about wimbledon being on the V6 red button so looks like thats sky only, which is mind bending

ozsat 24-06-2018 18:27

That sounds as if you were having issues keeping the 40Mbps stream constant and so it was dropping down to a slower speed with less qualify.

Although SkyQ 4K viewers will get Wimbledon it seems it will only be the semi-finals and final.
Quote:

Originally Posted by awesometeeth (Post 35951692)
Ive had no buffering at all... but... Ive seen the picture drop down to a different profile instead on a few occasions and the overall picture quality seems lower now than it did at the start.

the japan senegal game was switching quality every ten minutes and at full 4k, you could still see some light shimmering and blocking in areas off the main play, which wasnt present in the first weeks production.

dont know if that was just a one off or if they have changed encoding settings/bit rate....

plus I see no news about wimbledon being on the V6 red button so looks like thats sky only, which is mind bending

awesometeeth 24-06-2018 18:40

My connection to the TV is 100mb solid though and no issues, the picture was dropping down but even at full 4k it was lower quality than the first week.