Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   4K : UHD on Virgin Media (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704518)

Gavin-D 21-09-2017 10:41

Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35917289)
Not for me - no interest in Amazon, only UHD sport.

Don't forget Amazon is starting to get sports rights now and they are said to be considering bidding for the PL rights later this year

OLD BOY 21-09-2017 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35917289)
Not for me - no interest in Amazon, only UHD sport.

Yes, but if UHD sport was available on Amazon, you would have an interest!

It doesn't matter what channel/service it's on from the point of view of viewing the material. That only matters in terms of access and pricing.

I would not expect Amazon to be so difficult about which platforms their sport was available on in beautiful UHD as Sky! They would still get their subscription money, so they won't have a problem with that.

Raider999 21-09-2017 17:18

It is bad enough having to subscribe to Sky sports and BT sports to watch football, absolutely no wish to have to pay even more if Amazon get rights as well.

Competition has only ever driven the overall price up - if we were back to the good old days of 1 platform having all the rights we would be better off.

It seems to be alright for other sports (Rugby Union, Super League and for European Champions/Europa Leagues so why not Premier League football?

Mad Max 21-09-2017 17:37

Quote:

It seems to be alright for other sports (Rugby Union, Super League and for European Champions/Europa Leagues so why not Premier League football?
Probably because PL football is seen as the jewel in the crown!

OLD BOY 23-09-2017 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35917390)
It is bad enough having to subscribe to Sky sports and BT sports to watch football, absolutely no wish to have to pay even more if Amazon get rights as well.

Competition has only ever driven the overall price up - if we were back to the good old days of 1 platform having all the rights we would be better off.

A more likely scenario would be Amazon taking over from Sky or BT, although with more matches becoming available, there could be more providers coming in. As this would be content you otherwise wouldn't have, it would be a bonus rather than more expense for the same number of channels.

And of course if Amazon entered the fray by screening those extra matches, it would be interesting to see how BT would react to Amazon's pricing.

Paul 23-09-2017 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917580)
A more likely scenario would be Amazon taking over from Sky or BT

That would cost them an absolute fortune, meaning they would either have to charge very high prices (putting people off) or run at a loss (unlikely).

OLD BOY 23-09-2017 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35917581)
That would cost them an absolute fortune, meaning they would either have to charge very high prices (putting people off) or run at a loss (unlikely).

So you think Amazon have less money to spend than Sky or BT? Where did that idea come from?

As I said previously, Amazon could pay more but also make more money than Sky by being less precious about which platforms it broadcasts on and by making available smart packages which those with less disposable income could afford.

It is highly likely that lower prices and a less monopolistic approach could actually yield increased revenue.

Raider999 23-09-2017 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917583)
So you think Amazon have less money to spend than Sky or BT? Where did that idea come from?

As I said previously, Amazon could pay more but also make more money than Sky by being less precious about which platforms it broadcasts on and by making available smart packages which those with less disposable income could afford.

It is highly likely that lower prices and a less monopolistic approach could actually yield increased revenue.

History tells us that more competition means higher prices as established broadcasters strive to retain the rights they have and new broadcasters try to break into the market (as shown by the rocketing prices as sky and BT battle for the rights)

As for the argument that there may be extra games broadcast which will be a bonus - it is only a bonus if they are free - which I seriously doubt.

I believe you can buy day tickets to sky if you wish and cannot afford the monthly subs, so you already have your wish.

OLD BOY 23-09-2017 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35917587)
History tells us that more competition means higher prices as established broadcasters strive to retain the rights they have and new broadcasters try to break into the market (as shown by the rocketing prices as sky and BT battle for the rights)

As for the argument that there may be extra games broadcast which will be a bonus - it is only a bonus if they are free - which I seriously doubt.

I believe you can buy day tickets to sky if you wish and cannot afford the monthly subs, so you already have your wish.

Competition will ultimately bring prices down. We are likely to start seeing that within the next five years, I would say.

I disagree with your point about the extra matches. They are additional to what you have now and so if you want to pay more to view extra matches, of course that's a bonus. At least that provides additional choice.

Raider999 23-09-2017 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917597)
Competition will ultimately bring prices down. We are likely to start seeing that within the next five years, I would say.

I disagree with your point about the extra matches. They are additional to what you have now and so if you want to pay more to view extra matches, of course that's a bonus. At least that provides additional choice.

No evidence to support your view re competition - all evidence supports the opposite.

Yes they are additional to what we currently have, but having to pay for them means more money going out so hardly a bonus.

Dave42 23-09-2017 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917597)

see you keep saying that lie OB it only ever means price go up bet you still cant name one thing it has come down wont hold my breath waiting

theone2k10 23-09-2017 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35917581)

Amazon have been known to run at a loss before, the fire tv box and sticks were sold at a loss with the hope that people would sub to their Amazon prime/instant video service so i wouldn't rule it out.

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35917611)
see you keep saying that lie OB it only ever means price go up bet you still cant name one thing it has come down wont hold my breath waiting

Rain :p:

but how is it a lie whilst in general prices haven't come down however more and more offers are being made by companies which in turn can bring the consumers costs down.

OLD BOY 17-10-2017 14:21

Interesting, this. It might signify that we will be getting some UHD content on demand from the BBC soon. That'll please Ddonald!

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...d-wows-cannes/

denphone 17-10-2017 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35920477)
Interesting, this. It might signify that we will be getting some UHD content on demand from the BBC soon. That'll please Ddonald!

And will you be pleased as lately your grumping has reached epidemic levels on here OB.;):D

muppetman11 17-10-2017 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35920477)

Or it could simply be that BBC Worldwide will release it on UHD Blu Ray.;)