Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   4K : UHD on Virgin Media (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704518)

OLD BOY 18-09-2017 22:40

Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Let's hope not! :erm:

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35917032)
From your link

Probably the UK :D

muppetman11 19-09-2017 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917033)
Let's hope not! :erm:

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

It may not be but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

RobboEdin 19-09-2017 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35917032)
From your link

Probably the UK :D

I would suggest that the UK is the country, given the article mentions Horizon, rather than TiVo.

Raider999 19-09-2017 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917030)
According to this link, DVR recording to the cloud will be rolled out by Liberty Global next February. This may explain why the V6 is limited to 1TB, and it may also be the solution to the problem of disk space for UHD recordings.

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/74598...ngs-next-year/

How does recording to the cloud work?

Does it mean there is an infinite amount of storage in the cloud that I could utilise?

If I told box to record something on the cloud, will it stay there for me until I decide I no longer want it - however long that may be?

Is this going to cost me?

OLD BOY 19-09-2017 17:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35917127)
How does recording to the cloud work?

Does it mean there is an infinite amount of storage in the cloud that I could utilise?

If I told box to record something on the cloud, will it stay there for me until I decide I no longer want it - however long that may be?

Is this going to cost me?

These are good questions, Raider. At the moment, I believe you could only retain recordings for a limited time in the cloud - 9 months, I think it is. However, I am hoping this will change to allow users to keep the recordings for 18 months to 2 years in the near future.

I may be corrected on this, but I think a 'recording' to the cloud is similar to bookmarking. As far as the viewer is concerned, you just have to take the appropriate option. The programme will appear in 'My Shows' and you will access this in much the same way as you do now.

The cloud is really a store of all available programmes, similar to the 'on demand' principle, and you bookmark against the content of that store.

Raider999 19-09-2017 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917130)
These are good questions, Raider. At the moment, I believe you could only retain recordings for a limited time in the cloud - 9 months, I think it is. However, I am hoping this will change to allow users to keep the recordings for 18 months to 2 years in the near future.

I may be corrected on this, but I think a 'recording' to the cloud is similar to bookmarking. As far as the viewer is concerned, you just have to take the appropriate option. The programme will appear in 'My Shows' and you will access this in much the same way as you do now.

The cloud is really a store of all available programmes, similar to the 'on demand' principle, and you bookmark against the content of that store.

That is disappointing, I was hoping for something better than on demand. My viewing is mainly sport and sport has very little on demand.

Unless this improves it sounds like cloud recording will be a waste of time for me.

MichaelScofield 19-09-2017 20:09

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/09/15.jpg

When following a link from Virgin to sign up for a V6 due to the price rise, it mentioned Netflix and BT Sport in 4k if subscribed. On the community forums they said it's a mistake and have now removed 'BT Sport' but I think it could be an early leak that BT Sport in 4k will be coming soon. What do others think?

Also a new app called 'Virgin TV Go' coming next year.

Raider999 19-09-2017 20:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelScofield (Post 35917148)
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...2017/09/15.jpg

When following a link from Virgin to sign up for a V6 due to the price rise, it mentioned Netflix and BT Sport in 4k if subscribed. On the community forums they said it's a mistake and have now removed 'BT Sport' but I think it could be an early leak that BT Sport in 4k will be coming soon. What do others think?

Also a new app called 'Virgin TV Go' coming next year.

Hopefully, you are correct - however UHD football is currently only on BT tv and isn't a channel as such, it downloads from the Internet.

Hopefully the new app will allow me to download what I want from my shows on my V6 boxes.

OLD BOY 20-09-2017 07:32

I think we are more likely to see BT Sport UHD in the near future than Sky Sport UHD!

Does anyone know when the wholesale deal with BT comes up for review?

Gavin-D 20-09-2017 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35917171)
I think we are more likely to see BT Sport UHD in the near future than Sky Sport UHD!

Does anyone know when the wholesale deal with BT comes up for review?

Around July or August I think

OLD BOY 20-09-2017 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35917204)
Around July or August I think

Maybe that's when we'll get it, then, if it's coming at all.

If BT want a lot of money for BT Sport UHD, let's hope VM can persuade them to throw in AMC as well!

Ignitionnet 20-09-2017 19:56

UHD... Work in progress. Quite expensive on bandwidth. Use your experience and be patient, OLD BOY, once networks are ready and penetration of UHD TVs are high enough all should be fine.

Raider999 20-09-2017 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignitionnet (Post 35917270)
UHD... Work in progress. Quite expensive on bandwidth. Use your experience and be patient, OLD BOY, once networks are ready and penetration of UHD TVs are high enough all should be fine.

There have been several posts with links to reports that UHD is driving TV sales.

All we want is content on Virgin - currently we are the poor relations in this respect.

Gavin-D 20-09-2017 21:23

Even the Amazon app would do for now at least that would open up UHD content to more homes with a V6 and prime subscription

Raider999 20-09-2017 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35917283)
Even the Amazon app would do for now at least that would open up UHD content to more homes with a V6 and prime subscription

Not for me - no interest in Amazon, only UHD sport.