Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : 5.1 Dolby on BBC HD channels (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33684687)

1981suede 16-01-2012 11:48

5.1 Dolby on BBC HD channels

Hello,

I've recently set up a new AV receiver and have noticed that I'm not getting 5.1 Dolby on either of the BBC HD channels from the TiVo box. All other HD channels (apart from ITV1 obviously) seem to transmit it without a problem so it's unlikely to be a fault with the box.

Has anyone else noticed this? How often are BBC programmes transmitted with Dolby 5.1?

Cheers.

Stephen 16-01-2012 12:25

Re: 5.1 Dolby on BBC HD channels

Its simply due to not all programmes transmitting DD 5.1. Most BBC shows just seem to be DD 2.1

metmanuk 16-01-2012 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981suede (Post 35363183)
Hello,

I've recently set up a new AV receiver and have noticed that I'm not getting 5.1 Dolby on either of the BBC HD channels from the TiVo box. All other HD channels (apart from ITV1 obviously) seem to transmit it without a problem so it's unlikely to be a fault with the box.

Has anyone else noticed this? How often are BBC programmes transmitted with Dolby 5.1?

Cheers.

Yes! Its been driving me mad for a while. I have a Samsung Home Cinema connected via optical cable and a Samsung TV connected via HDMI. I have been thinking of writing to Samsung so I'm glad (sort of !) that I'm not alone.

Also, I have a second Tivo but with Panasonic gear (but wired the same) and BBC1HD and BBCHD produce 5.1 audio fine.

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 35363216)
Its simply due to not all programmes transmitting DD 5.1. Most BBC shows just seem to be DD 2.1

No its not. See my previous post.

1981suede 16-01-2012 12:30

That is a bit disappointing. I have been checking over the past few weeks and i haven't seen a single programme in full 5.1. You would of thought a big drama like Sherlock for example would be broadcast in 5.1! Poor form BBC.

BenJSmyth 16-01-2012 12:32

I'm pretty sure some of the BBC HD programmes are transmitted in 5.1 from my own experience on this. I'm going to have to check now!

1981suede 16-01-2012 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by metmanuk (Post 35363222)

Also, I have a second Tivo but with Panasonic gear (but wired the same) and BBC1HD and BBCHD produce 5.1 audio fine.

Oh, so it may be a problem with equipment? Does your Samsung set up produce 5.1 for the other HD channels? It does seem very strange that it is specific for BBC only, which is also the case for me. I have an Onkyo and I'm using HDMI throughput for sound.

Stephen 16-01-2012 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by metmanuk (Post 35363222)
Yes! Its been driving me mad for a while. I have a Samsung Home Cinema connected via optical cable and a Samsung TV connected via HDMI. I have been thinking of writing to Samsung so I'm glad (sort of !) that I'm not alone.

Some shows are in 5.1 however as I said in my post not everything is. Some shows obviously don't have a lot of money spent on sound and only get recorded in 2.1. For example talk shows are usually in 2.1 as they don't really require full surround sound.

I have a Philips surround amp connect by optical cable to my TiVo.

BenJSmyth 16-01-2012 12:47

That would explain why only some shows have it.

I have my TiVo connected via HDMI to my Samsung Home Cinema system which in turn is connected to my TV by HDMI.

metmanuk 16-01-2012 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981suede (Post 35363236)
Oh, so it may be a problem with equipment? Does your Samsung set up produce 5.1 for the other HD channels? It does seem very strange that it is specific for BBC only, which is also the case for me. I have an Onkyo and I'm using HDMI throughput for sound.

To be clear, on my Samsung configuration BBCHD's do not produce 5.1. The audio only comes from left and right speakers (not the centre speaker so not 2.1). However, Sky Sports & Movies, for example, produce 5.1 audio. I can confirm this by going to another room with the Panasonic configuration which produces 5.1 audio when expected.

Some time ago (a month or two), I did get 5.1 audio from BBCHD but it didn't last for long.

I have read that it may be to do with the signal that announces 5.1 audio not being picked up by the equipment - hopefully the more technically able posters on here can confirm ?

Graham M 16-01-2012 13:13

Most broadcast in 2.0/2.1 will have a ProLogic matrix encoded, try turning that on

1981suede 16-01-2012 15:28

Just popped home at lunch to check and I am getting 5.1 during BBC HD's test card and when the splash screen comes up when the local news is broadcasting on BBC 1 HD. When normal programmes (Doctors) resumed it went back to Pro Logic 2.

metmanuk 16-01-2012 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981suede (Post 35363400)
Just popped home at lunch to check and I am getting 5.1 during BBC HD's test card and when the splash screen comes up when the local news is broadcasting on BBC 1 HD. When normal programmes (Doctors) resumed it went back to Pro Logic 2.

I'll do the same (local news) check tonight.

Do you get anything from your centre speaker ?

1981suede 16-01-2012 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by metmanuk (Post 35363413)
I'll do the same (local news) check tonight.

Do you get anything from your centre speaker ?

Yeah, I got output from all speakers. The test card on BBC HD is a great way to check as it sends individual signals to each speaker in sequential order. Not that it will be playing tonight as it will be broadcasting.

metmanuk 16-01-2012 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981suede (Post 35363425)
Yeah, I got output from all speakers. The test card on BBC HD is a great way to check as it sends individual signals to each speaker in sequential order. Not that it will be playing tonight as it will be broadcasting.

Yep! I get 5.1 sound from BBC1HD trailer-fest whilst the local programming is on.

So, is it definitely a BBC problem ?

1981suede 16-01-2012 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by metmanuk (Post 35363585)
Yep! I get 5.1 sound from BBC1HD trailer-fest whilst the local programming is on.

So, is it definitely a BBC problem ?

I don't know. Something strange is occurring. Would be handy if other users could check and say if either BBC HD channels are broadcasting full 5.1 and which programme they saw it on. Stargazing Live is on now and I'm certainly only getting PLII.

Edit: ok, episodes is broadcasting 5.1 at the moment. Perhaps there really is just a dearth of 5.1 content on BBC.