Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Slapped down for telling the truth? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704102)

Taf 08-12-2016 19:29

Slapped down for telling the truth?

Quote:

"There are politicians who are twisting and abusing religion and different strains of the same religion in order to further their own political objectives.

"That's one of the biggest political problems in the whole region. And the tragedy for me - and that's why you have these proxy wars being fought the whole time in that area - is that there is not strong enough leadership in the countries themselves."
Quote:

"There are not enough big characters, big people, men or women, who are willing to reach out beyond their Sunni or Shia or whatever group to the other side and bring people together and to develop a national story again.

"That is what's lacking. And that's the tragedy," he said, adding that "visionary leadership" was needed in the region.

He went on: "That's why you've got the Saudis, Iran, everybody, moving in and puppeteering and playing proxy wars."
.... Boris Johnson UK Foreign Secretary

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38248316

richard s 08-12-2016 20:13

Re: Slapped down for telling the truth?

To further their own political objectives... Sounds familiar Pre- and Post-Brexit.

Did'nt Sunni and Shia do a song called I Got You Babe....

Damien 08-12-2016 21:06

It's because of his position obviously. It's not advisable for the foreign secretary to be upsetting the Saudis if it's government policy to engage with and sell weapons to them. Ditto Iran. In fact we have a British Citizen in prison in Iran as we speak whom we would quite like to get out and this isn't going to do that any favours. It's the same naivety we mock in Corbyn occasionally.

OhReally 08-12-2016 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35874678)
It's because of his position obviously. It's not advisable for the foreign secretary to be upsetting the Saudis if it's government policy to engage with and sell weapons to them. Ditto Iran. In fact we have a British Citizen in prison in Iran as we speak whom we would quite like to get out and this isn't going to do that any favours. It's the same naivety we mock in Corbyn occasionally.

Yet all our politicians go into luvvy hand-wringing mode the second capital punishment is discussed, who's that country that does market square public beheadings again?

denphone 09-12-2016 05:01

Comparing Bobo with our PM is like comparing chalk and cheese as the man is a nincompoop who everytime he opens his mouth puts his foot in it.

martyh 09-12-2016 06:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhReally (Post 35874706)
Yet all our politicians go into luvvy hand-wringing mode the second capital punishment is discussed, who's that country that does market square public beheadings again?

`

Whatever we in the west think of public beheadings and such like that's how that particular country deals with criminals ,we don't like it when other countries criticize our way of life .
Personally i can't think of a worse person to be in charge of foreign affairs at a time when we need experience and tact to build relationships with other countries.For many years we have had all resources of Europe negotiating trade deals for us ,now we have a Boris ....god help us :rolleyes:

TheDaddy 09-12-2016 07:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35874724)
`

Whatever we in the west think of public beheadings and such like that's how that particular country deals with criminals ,we don't like it when other countries criticize our way of life .
Personally i can't think of a worse person to be in charge of foreign affairs at a time when we need experience and tact to build relationships with other countries.For many years we have had all resources of Europe negotiating trade deals for us ,now we have a Boris ....god help us :rolleyes:

Interesting to note that our saudi allies beheaded more people than ISIS last year. I agree with you about bozo though, I'm tired of his act and was hoping this job would side line him but he just can't help but seek attention

Maggy 09-12-2016 11:42

Enough,rope and hang..I think May knows what she is doing.

RizzyKing 09-12-2016 11:58

Agree Maggy i think she appointed boris knowing he'd mess up and finally kill him off politically which can't happen fast enough the downside is how much damage he'll do to the UK before he gets the boot.

1andrew1 09-12-2016 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35874765)
Agree Maggy i think she appointed boris knowing he'd mess up and finally kill him off politically which can't happen fast enough the downside is how much damage he'll do to the UK before he gets the boot.

I think he is also there to get the hard-core leavers on board. If the Government negotiates a deal which he is party to, it will be an easier sell to the hard core if he's implicated/on board. So I don't see him leaving anytime soon but if he carries on forgetting his job description then he may have to be sent to replace Grayling in Transport or something.

pip08456 09-12-2016 18:35

It would appear Bobo has support from several areas.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...MCNEWEML6619I2

1andrew1 09-12-2016 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35874835)
It would appear Bobo has support from several areas.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...MCNEWEML6619I2

He'll need it, I hear Theresa has summoned him to Downing Street for a chat...

pip08456 09-12-2016 18:47

Well he is going to Saudi next week. Perhaps he may star in the market place?

RizzyKing 10-12-2016 00:45

Most leavers cannot stand boris after it became clear he supported it more for his own career then any real belief in brexit boris is just another political chancer nothing more.

OhReally 10-12-2016 01:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35874724)
`

I'm all for it, we should do the same. Kill someone and you're on Sat night telly 8pm having your head lopped off...