Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   "we wouldn't lift the block paving to service the property" (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33681334)

Bizmo 23-09-2011 14:07

"we wouldn't lift the block paving" But why can't you go around it?

Hi there, have been watching these forums for a while but never posted...

Just wondering if anyone could offer me any advice?

I have been trying to get virgin media installed in my house for a short time now. I contacted the spotters team a while back and didn't receive a response so I contacted them again last week and was told someone would be coming to view my property today.

I was in the shower when the technician called so didn't hear the door but this is the response I got when I asked what was going on. Was wondering whether anyone could give me any advice?

EDIT: I did inform virgin prior to this that they could run the cable either around my drive or under some paving slabs which are at the side...

I have removed the names for privacy...

Quote:

Hi ####

I visited the property today at 11am as I was running early I knocked on the door but there was no answer

It doesn't reach the end of your drive it goes up to the area which is blocked paved, and we wouldn't lift the block paving to service the property

We can offer you a phone and broadband service which would be ADSL

Thanks

####

Sent: 23 September 2011 12:35
To: ####
Cc: ######
Subject: Re: Cable My street

####, I have copied ###### in on this email as she was my first point of call in virgin media on this issue can maybe shed some light?

In response to your statement, no the cable itself doesn't reach my house it reaches the end of my drive where a neighbour is connected. Someone was supposed to be coming this lunchtime to see if they could lay in around or under the drive? Does this mean no one is coming and I didn't need to stay in all morning? And does it mean that my house is somehow unserviceable?
I find this hard to believe as houses both next to me and further from the junction box are connected to your network. I am very keen to become a customer of yours and thought every thing was going rather smoothly but am a little put off to hear nothing and see noone only to be told that I am unable to have this via email - not in person as I was lead to believe....

How can we move this forward together?

####

Sent from my iPhone

On 23 Sep 2011, at 12:25 PM, ##### wrote:

sorry the cable doesn't reach your house

thanks

Sent: 23 September 2011 12:25
To: #####

Sorry #### not quite understanding what you are saying there?

####

Sent from my iPhone

On 23 Sep 2011, at 12:24 PM, ##### wrote:

Hi ####

I have checked the address and you can't have it as the cable reach your house

Thanks

Sent: 23 September 2011 11:39
To:

Hi

Just checking that your colleague will still be here around 12?

Thanks a lot

####

Thanks a lot

weesteev 23-09-2011 15:58

Re: "we wouldn't lift the block paving to service the property"

Block paving is the concern, Installers wont normally touch this with a barge pole as relaying them as they were is very difficult to do. You may need to look at the civils cost to lay a permanent duct up to the property edge and pay a contractor to do the work if our installers a cant do this.

Was it the CableMyStreet team you were dealing with?

Bizmo 23-09-2011 16:10

yes it was that team , I spoke to my contact on it yesterday and asked whether it would be possible to run the cable around the drive and he said it should be fine...

there is a strip of grass touching the pavement which belongs to my neighbour then a 3/4m fence and then my front garden... the grass runs alongside the block paved part of the drive and then the fence is alongside my tarmac drive which then leads to my garden which is gravelled
... guessing that it would be ok to run the cable under the grass if I got a document signed by my neighbour and then to either run it under the tarmac or along the bottom of the fence..

This is why I wanted to speak to the spotter when he came :/

v0id 23-09-2011 18:48

The installers I've encountered though just lay the cable over the top of the block paving and _sometimes_ cement over it

Welshchris 23-09-2011 23:27

they proberbly wont run it under the Tarmac as that means they would have to get someone there to repair it.

+ If its a council\housing association\private rented house you would need their concent also to dig up parts.

The Reason i know that is for 2 reasons.

1. My Ex's mum is a landlord and owns a few houses and on two occasions shes had to sign documents giving permission for grass or flowerbeds to be dug up.

2. The Flats i live in they thought they would need a repull and if that was the case my housing officer stated he would have had to have had a signed form from maintenence manager to state permission.

If they dont have the permission from the owner im theory Virgin could be charged with criminal damage of property as permission wasnt given from owner and it states in most contracts now that if work that would require changing the property in anyway is needed you have to notify the Landlords.

My Housing Association is really strict and i had to even contact them for permission to change my light fittings in the livingroom.

MrIca 24-09-2011 12:50

What I don't understand is... Surely there must be thousands of customers where the cable feed runs past the front of their house but Virgin refuse to do a small dig in the pavement to link them up.

I don't understand why these houses aren't cabled up in the first place. Did they used to do these small pavement digs and now have stopped?

BenMcr 24-09-2011 12:56

It's a bit more complicated that just missing the 'small dig' bit

The ducts can only hold so many cables. When an area is cabled it's I would expect it's designed mostly (with a bit of variance) for the houses that are already there. Any houses that don't now cable have been built after the area was done. So sometimes the ducts are full, or the cabinets are full because they already carry all the houses the area was built for

If it's only a 'small dig' thats required to add the access 'Tee' and there is capacity Virgin will normally do it

MrIca 24-09-2011 14:07

Ok fair enough, but that's not how it works in other countries.

In America, if a town is covered by cable, then it is covered by cable.... everywhere. I don't see why we should be any different. If you're going to serve an area, then do so properly.

BenMcr 24-09-2011 14:09

In America cable is usually on poles not in the ground so it's a lot easier to do

Bizmo 24-09-2011 17:51

Would you suggest that I contact virgin media again directly and try to get someone else out to look at the property or just wait to see if this person responds again?

Jameseh 25-09-2011 06:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizmo (Post 35304439)
Would you suggest that I contact virgin media again directly and try to get someone else out to look at the property or just wait to see if this person responds again?

I'd just wait, I'm sure something will be flagged on your account (assuming you have one) so you'd just get the same response as you will get.