Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   FAST file corrupt (files and settings transfer wizard) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=31411)

Shaun 05-07-2005 17:00

FAST file corrupt (files and settings transfer wizard)

I'm having a few problems with the files and settings transfer wizard in XP.

I've just reinstalled my Nans PC with XP as it'd slowed right down. I made a copy of all the files and settings with the wizard but now I've come to reinstall the settings it says: "The location you have specified does not contain stored information"

I'm guessing the file is corrupt. I've googled and have come up with a program called FASTconv.exe by Microsoft but can't seem to get the syntax of the command right ( :dunce: ).

Is there a quicker easyer way to fix this .dat file and then use the wizard to restore the settings and files?

In the directory on the backup drive I've got an img00001.dat file and a file called "status"

Anyone else have any ideas? Or a way to use fastconv to get at the files?

Paul K 05-07-2005 17:12

Re: FAST file corrupt (files and settings transfer wizard)

http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.php
Quote:

Reminders & Troubleshooting

1. Multimedia files (which are large and cannot be compressed) greatly increase the size of the exported F.A.S.T. data file.
2. At times, particularly on large migrations, the Status Bar may appear to be frozen. As long as the hard drive light is flashing, all is probably well.
3. The log file is in %CSIDL_LOCAL_APPDATA% †” for those so inclined to look at things like this. :)
4. F.A.S.T. will not support migrating more than 63,000 files.
5. There is a version of F.A.S.T. for administrators on a Microsoft server-based domain. The User State Migration Tool (USMT) includes the same functionality as the Files & Settings Transfer wizard, but also permits administrators to fully customize specific settings such as unique modifications to the Registry. The USMT is designed for administrators only; individual users do not have to use the USMT, and it requires a client computer that is connected to a Windows server-based domain controller. For more information, see †œDescription of the User State Migration Tool for Windows XP Professionalâ↡¬Â (MSKB 321197)
6. One should always check to make sure the newly saved F.A.S.T. file is not corrupted. The easiest way to do that is to act like you are going to import the new file to the system from which you saved it. Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Files and Settings Transfer Wizard and start to import the file. You will get the following error if the file is corrupted in some way: †œThe location that you specified does not contain any stored information.â↡¬Â If you get this error message, delete the export file and do the F.A.S.T. collection again.
7. There is a very powerful tool that may be able to extract information from a corrupted F.A.S.T. file. It is called the Fastconv Extraction Tool. In the past, it could only be acquired by calling Microsoft Support and asking for it by name. A friend from several groups I frequent, MS-MVP Ramesh Srinivasan, has covered this issue better then anyone else and you will find his comments here. He gives contact info at the bottom of the page. He also found another site which will allow you to download the tool and the instructions. The Author says that he posted it because the tool is no longer available from Microsoft. Ramesh is one of the best I know on some of the other tough OS issues, so you might want to check out his site here.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm
From http://www.geocities.com/bbacle2003/
Quote:

Dealing with corrupt Files & Setttings Transfer Wizard (F.A.S.T.) image
When using the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard (F.A.S.T.) to migrate data and settings to a new computer, the wizard might indicate that the source files cannot be located even though you mention the correct folder which stores the F.A.S.T. data.

This happens if the F.A.S.T. image is corrupt and you need to collect the settings from the old computer again and redo the procedure. However, there is an unsupported tool named FASTConv from Microsoft Products Support Services, and not publicly available for download. This tool can extract entire data from the F.A.S.T. image.
http://www.geocities.com/bbacle2003/FASTConv.zip

Quote:

How to Use the Fastconv Extraction Tool
---------------------------------------

To extract files with the Fastconv Extraction tool, use the following command at a command prompt (where <files_to_include> are the files that you want to extract, <files_to_exclude> are the files that you do not want to extract, <source_store> is the source store, destination_store> is the destination store, and temp_store> is the temporary store):
Quote:

" fastconv [/v] [/i:<files_to_include>] [/e[:<files_to_exclude>]] /s:<source_store> /d:<destination_store> [/t:<temp store>] [/k] "
(without the quotation marks)

Shaun 05-07-2005 17:16

Cheers Paul.

The proiblem with FASTconv is I'm unsure exactly how to instruct it using the switches as well as how to tell it not to exclude any files.

I can't even get it to check the file with the /v switch :dunce:

Paul K 05-07-2005 17:21

Quote:

This section describes the switches that are used in the "How to
Use the Fastconv Extraction Tool" section in this article:
- /v Verifies only the store and does not extract files. This switch does, however, verify if the compression is in good condition for all of the files that are included and not excluded. Use this switch to verify that the store is in good condition. If you specify both the /v and /d switches, the tool displays an estimate of the space that is needed to extract all of the files from the store, along with the number of files that the store contains.

- /i Specifies the files to be included for decompression. The <files_to_include> parameter is a pattern and all matching files are included for decompression. If you do not use the /i switch, all files are considered to be included. Note that you can use multiple /i switches.

- /e
Specifies the files to exclude from decompression. The <files_to_exclude> parameter is a pattern and all matching files are excluded from decompression. If you use only the /e switch, all files are excluded.
Note You cannot use multiple /e switches.
A good use for this switch is if a corrupted file is in the store, and you want to exclude that specific file from decompression. For example, if you run the tool with /v switch and the store is in good condition, the tool finishes successfully. If a file in the store is damaged, you receive an error message about the damaged file, and the tool quits expectedly. The file mentioned in the error message is the file that you want to exclude. For instance, if you run the Fastconv /v command, and then you receive an error message about the 00001017.dat file, you start the tool again with the /e switch. To do so, type the following command:
"fastconv /v /e:00001017.dat" (without the quotation marks) If the tool finishes successfully, run the tool with the same /e:00001017.dat switch but without the /v switch to extract all the files from the store except the 00001017.dat file.
- /s Specifies the source store location.
- /d Specifies the destination store location.
- /t Specifies the temporary storage folder. Note You must specify a valid temporary folder.
- /k Prevents the tool from erasing the temporary files when it is finished. The /k switch is useful when corruption on the FSTW store
touches the Transdb.dat file from inside the store. The Transdb.dat file maintains the link between original file names and the names inside the store. If the Transdb.dat file is corrupted, you cannot recover it. However, when you use the /k switch, the extracted files remain in the temporary folder. Even if you do not know the original names of the files, you can attempt to understand what each file was.

Don't use command lines often but have you tried this
fastconv /v /s:file location /d:directory location you want it to go to

Shaun 05-07-2005 17:33

Well when I try to use fastconv /v img00001.dat I jsut get the /? info up! :dunce: x 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
Don't use command lines often but have you tried this
fastconv /v /s:file location /d:directory location you want it to go to

Just says "Source store invalid" :(

Paul K 05-07-2005 19:03

Where is the FAST file located at the moment? I'm just wondering wether you have to actually unzip the tool into the same directory and run it from where the file is stored?

This is a typical commandline instruction in the instruction text file (for what that is worth)
Quote:

fastconv /S:"C:\Documents and Settings\bdorminy\Desktop\USMT2.UNC" /D:"C:\Documents and Settings\bdorminy\Desktop\extract"
Obviously the "C:\ yada" bits are the source file desktop location and the detination desktop location for the converted file.

Gareth 05-07-2005 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun
Well when I try to use fastconv /v img00001.dat I jsut get the /? info up! :dunce: x 2

Just says "Source store invalid" :(

The problem is that you don't point the fastconv executable at the actual file, but instead just at the directory where it is installed.

Just tested it here using this:

Code:

C:\Documents and Settings\Gareth\Desktop>fastconv /S:"C:\Documents and Settings\
Gareth\Desktop\fast\USMT2.UNC" /D:"C:\Documents and Settings\Gareth\Desktop\fast
\USMT2.UNC"

and it worked fine. As you can see, I saved the original FAST file in a folder called fast on my desktop. Replace it according to wherever you saved yours.

That any help to you?

oops, just seen that this is kinda what Paul had put earlier. /me makes mental note to read thread properly before posting in the future

Paul K 05-07-2005 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth
oops, just seen that this is kinda what Paul had put earlier. /me makes mental note to read thread properly before posting in the future

It all helps to clarify what needs to be typed in ;)

Shaun 05-07-2005 21:33

Looks like that's where I've been going wrong!

The files stored on a backup partition on my Nans PC so I'll have to give it another bash next week when I'm over there.

Just a pain in the bum it got corrupted. I knew I should have copied the files manualy myself. I hate Microsoft sometimes.

Will let you know how I get on with it when I give it another bash.

Paul K 05-07-2005 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun
Looks like that's where I've been going wrong!

The files stored on a backup partition on my Nans PC so I'll have to give it another bash next week when I'm over there.

Just a pain in the bum it got corrupted. I knew I should have copied the files manualy myself. I hate Microsoft sometimes.

Will let you know how I get on with it when I give it another bash.

LOL you know where we are ;) Can always ring Chi and I'll get on Google for you if necessary :erm:

Shaun 05-07-2005 21:50

Cheers Paul :tu:

Cheques in the post ;)