Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Bank Holidays - what's the point? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688085)

Arthurgray50@blu 05-06-2012 11:38

Bank Holidays - what's the point?

When l was growing up as a kid, trying to find a shop open on bank holiday was a nightmare.

Now, Bank holiday are regarded as a joke by shopkeepers to make extra money.

This week for example, we have Two Bank Holidays to celebrate the Queen's reign on the throne, can we find a shop, yes its no longer bank holidays as we know it - which is a great shame.

You might as well scrap them, as they are pointless.

Sirius 05-06-2012 11:42

re: Bank Holidays - what's the point?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu (Post 35437168)
When l was growing up as a kid, trying to find a shop open on bank holiday was a nightmare.

This week for example, we have Two Bank Holidays to celebrate the Queen's reign on the throne, can we find a shop, yes its no longer bank holidays as we know it - which is a great shame.

For those of us that work a bank holiday is a welcome break.

BTW I bet you would be complaining if no shops were open ;)

denphone 05-06-2012 11:45

Sorry Arthur but for most people Bank Holidays are a welcome relief.

Arthurgray50@blu 05-06-2012 11:47

I always believe that Bank Holiday's are a welcome relief for everyone, but to me 90% of shops are open. And is not regarded as a bank holiday.

Russ 05-06-2012 11:51

It's called a bank holiday, not a shop holiday. And in these economic times I wouldn't begrudge a shopkeeper wanting to cash in on a day where people who would usually be working are out in the high street spending their money.

martyh 05-06-2012 11:52

Quote:

We have them to stop people like you whinging that we don't have any

Maggy 05-06-2012 12:16

In my local high street yesterday the only places open were the local independent baker,the Co-op, Tesco's Express.That's OK they pay double rates to their willing employees.
Then there were the huge array of cafes,tea rooms,restaurants,take aways,pubs and Amusement Arcade that a SEASIDE based town boasts.They are traditionally open on a Bank Holiday or where would moaners like Arthur get their refreshments and entertainment? ;)

And yes I have worked in such establishments when I was a struggling student and I had to work bank holidays..but I didn't mind because I got double pay.;)

Oh and my daughter who works for Specsavers in London has volunteered to work yesterday and today to get some extra cash and so she can have days off in lieu for her honeymoon later this year. ;)

martyh 05-06-2012 12:21

Unfortunately double pay for bank holidays is becoming a rarity nowadays especially in the retail sector

Mr_love_monkey 05-06-2012 12:51

Following Arthur's logic we should do away with weekends too....

SnoopZ 05-06-2012 13:06

Arthur it is called a Bank Holiday for a reason, banks are closed and not a shop holiday.

LondonRoad 05-06-2012 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey (Post 35437210)
Following Arthur's logic we should do away with weekends too....

and evenings/nights.

what's the point of having nights when more and more Tescos are opening 24 hours...;)

Sirius 05-06-2012 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35437218)
Arthur it is called a Bank Holiday for a reason, banks are closed and not a shop holiday.

That bit of logic was missing from his post :LOL:

Gary L 05-06-2012 14:38

Re: Bank Holidays - what's the point?

Mr Patel by me is open all Xmas day.

Tezcatlipoca 05-06-2012 14:40

Quote:

Well, if you'd like to work on a bank holiday or public holiday, then feel free to do so. Me? I quite like having the time off work...

You may find this informative:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/employme...days/dg_073741

TheDaddy 05-06-2012 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by martyh (Post 35437187)
Unfortunately double pay for bank holidays is becoming a rarity nowadays especially in the retail sector

Europes fault, they seem to think if you work a bank holiday you should get a day of later in the year, fine until its Christmas you work, having the 22nd Feb of in return doesn't really compensate