Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Liverpool FC ban for Sun journalists over Hillsborough (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704448)

adzii_nufc 10-02-2017 19:02

Liverpool FC ban for Sun journalists over Hillsborough

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...yside-38933817

Follows an already existing heavy boycott of the paper already in effect.

heero_yuy 10-02-2017 19:06

Re: Liverpool FC ban for Sun journalists over Hillsborough

IIRC the Sun supported the police version of events. At the time was that the correct way to report it?

Subsequently it was found that the police version was wanting.

Mr Banana 10-02-2017 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35885073)
IIRC the Sun supported the police version of events. At the time was that the correct way to report it?

Subsequently it was found that the police version was wanting.

Don't think the police said this - The Sun made this up and the editor at the time still works for them!

"It was more than 15 years ago and still some shops boycott the Sun - such was the calamitous effect of the Sun's front page claims that Liverpool fans urinated on police, pick-pocketed dead victims and prevented brave PCs giving the kiss of life to some of the victims at Hillsborough"

RizzyKing 10-02-2017 19:39

Good for LFC the sun's coverage of hillsborough was the worst kind of gutter journalism and will not soon be forgotten by any liverpool fan.

Paul 10-02-2017 19:50

Utterly pointless vendetta, what is it going to achieve 28 years later ?

Just makes them look childish.

Mick 10-02-2017 19:51

Not sticking up for The Sun or any other newspaper, I think the newspaper industry is on it's knees on all honesty.

The Sun is owned by Murdoch Empire ?

Who also own big share in BSkyb?

How many of those in Liverpool have boycotted BSkyb ?

denphone 10-02-2017 20:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35885085)
Not sticking up for The Sun or any other newspaper, I think the newspaper industry is on it's knees on all honesty.

The Sun is owned by Murdoch Empire ?

Who also own big share in BSkyb?

How many of those in Liverpool have boycotted BSkyb ?

Well l support Liverpool but l still watch Liverpool on Sky Sports and have done for 10 years and in terms of newspapers we don't buy any of them.

RizzyKing 10-02-2017 20:21

No it's not childish Paul what the sun did was unforgivable and shouldn't be forgotten the distress that was caused to the families of the victims was significant and it wasn't a one off headline they trotted out every filthy lie the incompetent police put out covering their backsides. As for how many fans have bskyb no idea but i have never had bskyb and never will I'd rather give up the internet and tv then have anything that's connected to murdoch.

Mick 10-02-2017 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35885090)
As for how many fans have bskyb no idea but i have never had bskyb and never will I'd rather give up the internet and tv then have anything that's connected to murdoch.

I only asked as I was curious as to who the feud was actually against...

The Paper itself, the name or brand?

The Journalists, who wrote said article back in the day, who may not work there any more ?

The Editor ?

The Newspaper owners (Murdochs) ?

Or all 4 ?

papa smurf 10-02-2017 20:41

Quote:

No it's not childish Paul what the sun did was unforgivable and shouldn't be forgotten the distress that was caused to the families of the victims was significant and it wasn't a one off headline they trotted out every filthy lie the incompetent police put out covering their backsides. As for how many fans have bskyb no idea but i have never had bskyb and never will I'd rather give up the internet and tv then have anything that's connected to murdoch.

isn't that just blaming the messenger ? if as you say they reported what the police put out ,why no anger and ban on the police .[assuming the police are still allowed in the grounds ].

adzii_nufc 10-02-2017 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 35885092)
I only asked as I was curious as to who the feud was actually against...

The Paper itself, the name or brand?

The Journalists, who wrote said article back in the day, who may not work there any more ?

The Editor ?

The Newspaper owners (Murdochs) ?

Or all 4 ?

I would assume the two in bold, but it seems to be number one as well.

It's not an unheard of thing though, banning papers and journalists, I would know

Quote:

Newcastle have banned more reporters than any other club since 2007 – this newspaper included – for writing things that they did not like
- Telepgraph

It's just in this case there's a serious reason behind it. I'm not sure what side of the fence I sit on.
Quote:

Utterly pointless vendetta, what is it going to achieve 28 years later
is a valid point. At the same time, as long as MacKenzie is affiliated with the paper then I feel like they deserve it especially given the way he continuously spins off any apology straight onto him being mislead.

EnglishMan 10-02-2017 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35885094)
isn't that just blaming the messenger ? if as you say they reported what the police put out ,why no anger and ban on the police .[assuming the police are still allowed in the grounds ].

There are many videos of fans pushing forward that seem to cause a crush, but!!!!! gateS were opened that should never of been allowed to be open that allowed many many fans to rush into the ground.

Yes drunk fans rushed into the ground, but the police really should of understood they were there to protect the fans. No one wanted what happened, and many lessons have been learned

The police did not want people to die, fans did not want people to die, the Sun did not want people to die. We need to understand, no one wanted anyone to die, but people did die and the reasons need to be understood.

The Sun played no part in anyone's death that day. No one thinks it was the fans to blame that day. For such a horrific event to happen many things need to go wrong.

OhReally 10-02-2017 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35885084)
Utterly pointless vendetta, what is it going to achieve 28 years later ?

Just makes them look childish.

Plus everyone seems to overlook the fact, that regardless of who opened the gates (which was done by or under supervision of the police), THOUSANDS of fans piled in....everyone of which has no blame whatsoever of course.

They'll be telling us next that Heysel wasn't their fault either :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 22:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Quote:

One thing you'll never hear in Liverpool

"Justice for the 39"

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:03 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnglishMan (Post 35885100)
No one thinks it was the fans to blame that day.

You're totally wrong there, anyone with any sense of perspective accepts that the fans did play a part in it.

Mr Banana 10-02-2017 22:07

This is the Suns reply to the ban. Yet they continue to employ the editor who sanctioned the headline, how utterly bizarre.

"The Sun deeply regrets its reporting of the tragic events at Hillsborough and understands the damage caused by those reports is still felt by many in the city. A new generation of journalists on the paper congratulate the families on the hard-fought victory they have achieved through the inquest. It is to their credit that the truth has emerged and, whilst we can't undo the damage done, we would like to further a dialogue with the city and to show that the paper has respect for the people of Liverpool."

Pierre 10-02-2017 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnglishMan (Post 35885100)
There are many videos of fans pushing forward that seem to cause a crush, but!!!!! gateS were opened that should never of been allowed to be open that allowed many many fans to rush into the ground.

Yes drunk fans rushed into the ground, but the police really should of understood they were there to protect the fans. No one wanted what happened, and many lessons have been learned

The police did not want people to die, fans did not want people to die, the Sun did not want people to die. We need to understand, no one wanted anyone to die, but people did die and the reasons need to be understood.

The Sun played no part in anyone's death that day. No one thinks it was the fans to blame that day. For such a horrific event to happen many things need to go wrong.

Your level of ignorance is truly breathtaking.

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 23:05 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhReally (Post 35885112)
Plus everyone seems to overlook the fact, that regardless of who opened the gates (which was done by or under supervision of the police), THOUSANDS of fans piled in....everyone of which has no blame whatsoever of course.

They'll be telling us next that Heysel wasn't their fault either :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 22:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

One thing you'll never hear in Liverpool

"Justice for the 39"

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:03 ----------

You're totally wrong there, anyone with any sense of perspective accepts that the fans did play a part in it.

As is yours