Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : TiVo Picture Quality (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33676917)

Perfect Choice 23-04-2011 14:34

Re: TiVo Picture Quality

Started appearing on VM Support forum today.

passingbat 23-04-2011 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfect Choice (Post 35220203)
The answer I do not know is what did the V+ upscale to for SD channels. Did it upscale (as best as possible) an SD feed to 1080i to the TV or just supply native and let the TV do the upscaling, while Tivo on SD channels (see NickO post on forum) is upscaling to 720p only and then your TV is upscaling again to 1080i as with my TV?

Can anybody post what they believed the V+ did in upscaling SD channels.

I will see what happens on the VM support forum where this issue is at least being fed back to the development team, need the option for Tivo to upscale to 1080i or just provide native feed for the TV to do the upscale to 1080i.

I am also starting to see posts of people cancelling their Tivos and gouing back to V+ becuase of this pictyure issue. VM better watch themselves on this especially if it gets into the press. I could also see Sky taking advantage, if you've been to one of their booths, you may have seen that SD versus HD picture compare demonstration, I could see Sky showing the same for Sky+ and Tivo (as seen by some customers), oops!

AFAIK, the V+ upscaled 576 SD to 1080.

I found NockO's response poorly written and not clear.

I'd be very surprised if Tivo is upscaling 576 SD to 720 and your TV doing 720 to 1080 if you select 1080 out on the Tivo. In my view Tivo will be upscaling 576 to 1080 and outputting that if 1080 is selected in the Tivo menu.

From what i've read the Sky boxes output poor quality SD compared to the V+ box, so I doubt Sky can make any boasts in that area.

TBH, my Tivo SD picture, although not as good as V+ s still better than the Freview picture from my TV's inbuilt tuner or my separate Sony freeview box. It's perfectly liveable with.

It may be worth some people looking at their TV settings, because if they've got a lot of the enhancments turned on and things such as sharpness set high, a poorer quality source picture will look worse with the enhancments turned on.

muppetman11 23-04-2011 14:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35220243)
AFAIK, the V+ upscaled 576 SD to 1080.

I found NockO's response poorly written and not clear.

I'd be very surprised if Tivo is upscaling 576 SD to 720 and your TV doing 720 to 1080 if you select 1080 out on the Tivo. In my view Tivo will be upscaling 576 to 1080 and outputting that if 1080 is selected in the Tivo menu.

From what i've read the Sky boxes output poor quality SD compared to the V+ box, so I doubt Sky can make any boasts in that area.

TBH, my Tivo SD picture, although not as good as V+ s still better than the Freview picture from my TV's inbuilt tuner or my separate Sony freeview box. It's perfectly liveable with.

It may be worth some people looking at their TV settings, because if they've got a lot of the enhancments turned on and things such as sharpness set high, a poorer quality source picture will look worse with the enhancments turned on.

Well I can easily answer that for you , the Sky+HD box probably isn't quite as good with SD as the V+ but it's definatley not poor , but to be fair with 50+ HD channels I don't worry to much with SD.

passingbat 23-04-2011 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35220252)
Well I can easily answer that for you , the Sky+HD box probably isn't quite as good with SD as the V+ but it's definatley not poor.

Yep sorry, wrong choice of words --- you phrased it better!

kgollop 23-04-2011 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfect Choice (Post 35220203)
The answer I do not know is what did the V+ upscale to for SD channels. Did it upscale (as best as possible) an SD feed to 1080i to the TV or just supply native and let the TV do the upscaling, while Tivo on SD channels (see NickO post on forum) is upscaling to 720p only and then your TV is upscaling again to 1080i as with my TV?

Can anybody post what they believed the V+ did in upscaling SD channels.

I will see what happens on the VM support forum where this issue is at least being fed back to the development team, need the option for Tivo to upscale to 1080i or just provide native feed for the TV to do the upscale to 1080i.

I am also starting to see posts of people cancelling their Tivos and gouing back to V+ becuase of this pictyure issue. VM better watch themselves on this especially if it gets into the press. I could also see Sky taking advantage, if you've been to one of their booths, you may have seen that SD versus HD picture compare demonstration, I could see Sky showing the same for Sky+ and Tivo (as seen by some customers), oops!

I believe V+ output everything at the selected resolution. I've got me TIVO set to 720P and also had my V+ set to 720P (my TV is 720P). As far as I can tell both boxes should be upscaling SD to 720P, and the SD on the SA V+ is far superior. Still, most of my viewing is HD now at least!

OLDGOLD 24-04-2011 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35220252)
Well I can easily answer that for you , the Sky+HD box probably isn't quite as good with SD as the V+ but it's definatley not poor , but to be fair with 50+ HD channels I don't worry to much with SD.

Meeeooooowwwww!!! Ha ha :D:D

muppetman11 24-04-2011 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLDGOLD (Post 35220679)
Meeeooooowwwww!!! Ha ha :D:D

I know couldnt resist ha ha :D

AndyCambs 24-04-2011 10:33

I changed the settings -both on television (colour, sharpness etc) and the TiVo box ( I think I have 720 and 1080i output only selected and the quality is much better. I think it's a matter as with all new connections, you have to experiment and tweak according to your equipment and preferences.

DaBoz 24-04-2011 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyCambs (Post 35220712)
I changed the settings -both on television (colour, sharpness etc) and the TiVo box ( I think I have 720 and 1080i output only selected and the quality is much better. I think it's a matter as with all new connections, you have to experiment and tweak according to your equipment and preferences.

I've tried everything both ends and TiVo sd and hd aren't a patch on V+.

The thing is, V+ just worked. The PQ was ace out the box, didn't have to tweak either end at all. And on my TV there's very little you can tweak.

Boz

Doz007 24-04-2011 19:03

I'm really happy with the picture quality on my TiVo box. Much prefer it to the old Samsung V+ box. :)

scgf 24-04-2011 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBoz (Post 35221081)
I've tried everything both ends and TiVo sd and hd aren't a patch on V+.

The thing is, V+ just worked. The PQ was ace out the box, didn't have to tweak either end at all. And on my TV there's very little you can tweak.

Boz

I completely agree. I sent my TiVo back because I found SD unwatchable. I am quite picky about picture quality. HD wasn't as good as with my V+ either.

The experience made me think about what I was watching and I realised that the vast majority of my viewing was of channels available for free on Freeview so when Freeview HD became available here I bought a 3View HD box and am now getting really acceptable SD pictures and excellent quality HD - better even than the V+.

Silverspeed 25-04-2011 00:14

I have an installation booked for 05.05.11 for the Tivo box. I'm really concerned about the picture quality issue and I will be following this thread closely. I have an HD ready 65 inch rear projection TV currently connected to SKy HD Box. SD and HD picture quality for both on SKY is superb.

Tivo box might offer many benefits but without superb SD and HD picture quality
its pointless for Sky customers like myself switching over to Tivo.

Like its already been mentioned, can existing Tivo customers please share your knowledge about picture quality. Virgin also need to respond in clear language to concerns raised about picture quality.

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

I have an installation booked for 05.05.11 for the Tivo box. I'm really concerned about the picture quality issue and I will be following this thread closely. I have an HD ready 65 inch rear projection TV currently connected to SKy HD Box. SD and HD picture quality for both on SKY is superb.

Tivo box might offer many benefits but without superb SD and HD picture quality
its pointless for Sky customers like myself switching over to Tivo.

Like its already been mentioned, can existing Tivo customers please share your knowledge about picture quality. Virgin also need to respond in clear language to concerns raised about picture quality.

Oop sorry for repeat posting

Tod 25-04-2011 01:01

I really am not seeing a fall in picture quality from V+ to Tivo. My Tivo is delivering as good a picture as my V+ ever did.

Buzzman 25-04-2011 08:10

I also have no concerns over PQ. After the boxes were swapped (V+ for TIVO), I did need to tweak the settings on my 40" Toshiba, but now I have a very comparable picture on both SD and HD. I have however heard it mentioned on here that it is on the larger screens that a drop in PQ becomes evident.
I guess what I'm saying is that until you hook it up to your own equipment you will never know if it is acceptable to you or not. If it is no good, send it back. Let us know how you get on.

DaMac 25-04-2011 09:36

I have a Panasonic neopdp, HD is absolutley fudging brilliant, but scaling on it isnt brilliant, either from the freeview or freesat tuners (HD on freesat is mega) thats why i am grateful that the samsung V+ is so good at scaling SD, on virgin i dont have over 50 quality HD channels to choose from, so this is going to be the absolute deal breaker for me.. i won't be getting TiVO purley because of reports of poor sd performance. There is no need for any one to start saying its only slightly worse - i can see these things, honestly i can, i calibrated my tv's colour balance and grey scale with an eye-one display probe, but it was nearly spot on by just by my own eye, i can't go backwards, i will probably be the last V+ user in town.:cool: