Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   TiVo : TiVo Picture Quality (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33676917)

alwaysabear 20-04-2011 20:54

Re: TiVo Picture Quality

I wonder if the issues people are having with TiVo Sd picture quality is to do with the Plasma V LCD argument. I have both (Samsung 42" Plasma and 40" Samsung LCD) and have found that Plasma is much better at dealing with SD pictures.

Perfect Choice 20-04-2011 20:58

As stated this morning I definitely see a softer less detail picture both in SD and HD, the specific detail seen in HD (e.g. lines on face) just isn’t as strong on my Sony KDL40HX803 TV when the Tivo replaced my SA V+ with no setting changes made. Would appreciate if any Sony TV owners could compare their picture settings with those of mine below especially if you feel the picture hasn’t changed. Clearly everybody has their own preferences so just seeing if I’ve not done something stupid on my own settings!

Video Output Format in Tivo: 1080i, this was auto detected by Tivo

Sony Picture Settings:

Motionflow: Standard
Screen Select: Auto
Target Input: Current
Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 9
Contrast 84
Brightness 44
Colour 50
Hue 0
Colour Temperature: Neutral
Sharpness: 25
Film Mode: Auto 1
Advanced Contract Enhancer (under advanced settings): Medium

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35218180)
I wonder if the issues people are having with TiVo Sd picture quality is to do with the Plasma V LCD argument. I have both (Samsung 42" Plasma and 40" Samsung LCD) and have found that Plasma is much better at dealing with SD pictures.

Always a thought but if that was the issue I would have had a softer picture with my SA V+ as well?

OLDGOLD 20-04-2011 21:09

Can any of the VM tecchy gurus on here confirm anything about the upscaling hardware/software in the TiVo, in comparison to the Samsung or SA V+? Is it completely different, for example? And if they know whether VM could change this in a future release to improve the quality or is it a case of what we've got now is what we'll always have?

Cheers guys!

alwaysabear 20-04-2011 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfect Choice (Post 35218186)
As stated this morning I definitely see a softer less detail picture both in SD and HD, the specific detail seen in HD (e.g. lines on face) just isn’t as strong on my Sony KDL40HX803 TV when the Tivo replaced my SA V+ with no setting changes made. Would appreciate if any Sony TV owners could compare their picture settings with those of mine below especially if you feel the picture hasn’t changed. Clearly everybody has their own preferences so just seeing if I’ve not done something stupid on my own settings!

Video Output Format in Tivo: 1080i, this was auto detected by Tivo

Sony Picture Settings:

Motionflow: Standard
Screen Select: Auto
Target Input: Current
Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 9
Contrast 84
Brightness 44
Colour 50
Hue 0
Colour Temperature: Neutral
Sharpness: 25
Film Mode: Auto 1
Advanced Contract Enhancer (under advanced settings): Medium

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

Always a thought but if that was the issue I would have had a softer picture with my SA V+ as well?

Very true ,just a thought.

Perfect Choice 20-04-2011 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLDGOLD (Post 35218206)
" or is it a case of what we've got now is what we'll always have?"

I hope not!

batchain 20-04-2011 21:34

42" Panasonic TX-P42GT30B. SD better on TiVo, HD the same.

sniper007 20-04-2011 22:08

I can't comment on TIVO yet but I will say this, Samsung vs SA box are 100% identical. I owned both for a while and did a comparison test. Absolutely no difference to mine and several mates eyes in both SD and HD. Anyone who tells you otherwise is mad as they are identical. :)

spiderplant 20-04-2011 22:38

Quote:

Can any of the VM tecchy gurus on here confirm anything about the upscaling hardware/software in the TiVo, in comparison to the Samsung or SA V+? Is it completely different, for example?

It's completely different hardware from three different silicon manufacturers, but the internal details will be closely-guarded secrets.

Quote:

And if they know whether VM could change this in a future release to improve the quality or is it a case of what we've got now is what we'll always have?

VM don't write the software. The silicon vendors, Cisco and/or Tivo may be able to change it.

DaBoz 20-04-2011 23:41

Toshiba LCD 32" (720p) with no post processing. Was a lovely picture on samsung V+, but TiVo is grainy and soft. Tried setting TiVo to 720p only, and it looked slightly better than 1080i. Will try the other settings and HD channels some other time.

Boz

AlabasterLyn 21-04-2011 08:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by alwaysabear (Post 35218180)

I agree. We have a 37" Panasonic Plasma and the picture with the TIVO is excellent, as it was before with the V+ box :p:

Perfect Choice 21-04-2011 08:33

Dam, and I only bought my TV 9 months ago, would have bought a Plasma if I had known!! Now, what is the chance of VM replacing my TV to get a better picture on Tivo!! (joke):shocked::rolleyes:

AlabasterLyn 21-04-2011 08:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfect Choice (Post 35218481)
Dam, and I only bought my TV 9 months ago, would have bought a Plasma if I had known!! Now, what is the chance of VM replacing my TV to get a better picture on Tivo!! (joke):shocked::rolleyes:

There's always been a big debate about the difference between Plasma and LCD. I have always preferred Plasma, even though we also have 2 LCD TV's. We had our V+ installed where our old Samsung sbt was and although the HD picture quality is very good the sd picture is still not brilliant and it's only a 32" LCD TV so hate to think what it would be like on a larger screen :(

DaBoz 21-04-2011 11:31

Hmm, was watching BBC 1 breakfast news on 1 and 1 HD, and there's not a lot between them. Both grainy, washed out and soft. Nasty.

V+ was sharp and vibrant, especially on HD. Not good.

Boz

clinteastman 21-04-2011 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBoz (Post 35218606)
Hmm, was watching BBC 1 breakfast news on 1 and 1 HD, and there's not a lot between them. Both grainy, washed out and soft. Nasty.

V+ was sharp and vibrant, especially on HD. Not good.

Boz

Is it filmed in HD do we know?

DaBoz 21-04-2011 11:47

Pass, however on V+ the difference between 1 and 1HD for breakfast news was noticeable. What's even more noticeable is the very poor picture on TiVo for me.

I really need to try on-demand HD to see how that fares, and experiment with the TV out settings, but getting time to do that with household TV demands is proving tricky!

Boz