Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   100M : need advice and help for a possible fix (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33701711)

Deathcrush87 08-11-2015 18:59

need advice and help for a possible fix

Dear Ladies and Gents,

story short, we live in a shared house and its 7 of us.
me and my next door house mate regularly play online games.
past few months, i posted a thread about our issues.

our landlord lately upgraded our internet service from 30mb plan (Virgin Media off-course) to a 100mb plan.
for a few days the internet was very fast, then got worse. (so the difference between 30mb or 100mb is so minimal - maybe non-existent)
we use a Virgin Superhub (1st generation).
download speed, in-game ping and everything else is so bad.
I usually get this DISCONNECTION THING, means there is no internet connection available at all, and the OS says the CONNECTION IS LIMITED. it usually fixes itself after 4~5 minutes.. weird!?
also, I regularly experience 3~6kb/s download speed. especially if im downloading a few things simultaneously.
Connecting to the superhub via http://192.168.0.1/ is almost always very difficult, not responsive and slow as well.

superhub is in the living room.
we have a Netgear Powerline 500 + Wifi connected via a socket in the first floor to extend the wifi coverage.
I use a Wifi PCI card and i also use a BT Powerline Ethernet like this:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2015/11/7.jpg

i also made 2 videos to show you the in-game network connection lag (spikes): (very short videos)
https://youtu.be/JJuy_EmFDdE (problem at second 12)
https://youtu.be/PHMJbBontZI (problem at second 13)

i play FPS games like Battlefield Hardline, Black Ops 3 on a capable PC and League of Legends.
during the weekends, the internet is the worst. but then during morning weekdays when the majority of people are out there is not much improvement.

i need help. we need help.
when we contact Virgin, they say everythings fine on their end.

any tip, help, advice to make the life easier for us?

many thanx in advance.

General Maximus 08-11-2015 20:20

Re: need advice and help for a possible fix

3 problems dude:

1) shub1
2) wifi on shub1
3) powerlines

For starters shub1 is all round pants and I wouldn't expect it to handle traffic to seven devices simultaneously with any degree of competency. Secondly the wifi is absolutely diabolical on shub1 and I would honestly just rule out using it full stop. Thirdly, powerline adapters are very flaky. Wireless is variable anyway with regards to interference between yourself and the router/extender but then there is also interference on your electrical circuit which can completely kill your connection between the adapter/extender to the router. The fact that your laptop/pc is saying connection is limited means your connection to the router is dropping.

There is no easy to fix this if you are living in student accommodation and renting. For starters I would do two things.

1) Take a laptop downstairs and directly connect to the shub through one of the ethernet ports on the back with a patch cable and run some speedtests. If this works and your connection remains stable then you know it is the wireless which is letting you down.
2) If that fails I would put the shub in modem mode which will kick everyone else off the network and try the wired test again. The laptop/pc connected to the shub will be the only device with internet access.

In an ideal world the following would solve all your problems: put the shub in modem mode and buy a proper router like this. It absolutely kicks ass and wouldn't have a heart attack like the shub does when lots of people want to use the internet at the same time. The wireless range would be significantly better and go a long way to improve your current situation. To make things perfect I would either run some patch cables from the router under the carpet to rooms around the house in order to provide direct wired connections or as a minimum one cable upstairs to a second router which can serve as a wireless access point and further extend the range and signal throughout the house.

It is worth thinking about. If you are there for the rest of the academic year it would work out around £20 each for you and your pals for either option and from a cost/benefit point of view I think it is money well spent and if you can prove it works perfectly (which it will) then you might be able to convince your landlord to reimburse you at the end of the year. Tbh though, for the amount of time I spend on the internet and playing games I would be happy to cough up the dosh myself.

23prince 08-11-2015 20:33

I have wifi and I also have powerline adapters. Service is crap on both so likely to be the SH or the service like General says.

Deathcrush87 08-11-2015 20:38

Dear G.Maximus,

let me first thank you for your kind response.
I am living here for nearly 2 and a half years and im not a student.
being a university graduate in Sound Engineering and production, it is very difficult for me to find a job related to my studies.
I live in birmingham, and as my earnings from my job is absolutely under what you call minimum wages, i can not afford to move out. (i dont pay council tax here and all the bills are included)
gaming is my only hobby.
im probably stuck here for sometime unless i find a job that is no zero-hour-contract and does pay well.
i do not have a laptop unfortunately.
me and my neighbour both have gaming pcs and taking it downstairs for a speed test will be much of a hassle.
i can not use a wired connection to my room. the positioning of my room, the shape of my window and the layout of the house does not simply allow me to use a cable - and we dont have carpet in the house) and my landlord does not want to spend a single penny to remove a brick to let a cable in. he also does not allow me to do that i was to take the bill.
so wifi and powerline are the only options available to me.

the only option that is there is to ask my landlord to get us a new router. he is willing to do that, but i simply can not ask him to pay something insane. hes a nice guy, a very nice guy, and he cares, but he doesnt go beyond that.

i made a few contacts with the Virgin, and though i wanted to replace our router with the new superhub, all they did was to convince me that it would not improve anything.
now, the router you posted the link for, does it support wifi??
are there any other suggestions for a router?

as i said, we r only 2 gamers in the house and the others are living with minimal wage and they wont pay a penny to upgrade anything.

p.s. the link you gave me, the router does not seem to have the port for the internet cable that Virgin has. our internet cable looks like a co-axial antenna cable..

General Maximus 08-11-2015 20:57

the shub is a combi modem router. The modem part (modulator-demodulator) is the thing which converts your network packets to whatever signals it needs to (before anyone mocks me you should know I am biting my tongue having to describe it this way) to send off to the internet. The modem sends incoming data to a router to "route" the traffic across the lan/to a particular subnet. I say all this so you understand the difference. In my case I have what I have described above as I have the shub acting solely as a modem and I have a separate router. In your case you are using the shub as a modem and router and thus a single device. The coax connection is for the modem part and the 4 Ethernet ports on the back are the router part.
You will always need a shub connected with the coax cable because it is the only way you'll get internet access. If you the put the shub in modem mode it disables the wifi, all routing functionality and all the ethernet ports on the back. The only port active is port 1 which your proper router will connect to so it can send all external traffic off to the internet.
I don't recommend things willy nilly. Yes you can get a different router cheaper (probably around the £40 mark) but the router I have recommended is pretty much top of the range for the stupidly cheap price of £65. Trust me, it is an absolute bargain. The only other routers I would recommend are the lower models in the same range which are more expensive or similar models from other brands such as Asus which are £100+ as this one should be.

Btw, if you ring VM again I would defo let them send you another router to try. Shub2 is far better in every regard. It's routing functionality is far more stable and the wifi is a lot better as well. I would give that a go and see if there is any improvement but still think about getting a proper router which will be even better.

Deathcrush87 08-11-2015 21:04

may have a chat with u?
do use steam?

General Maximus 08-11-2015 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathcrush87 (Post 35806990)
do use steam?

I do

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathcrush87 (Post 35806990)
may have a chat with u?

not now, I have had a very busy day and I am literally just about to lie down in bed and watch some Babylon 5. I am up to 4x16 and it is getting to the good bit.

Deathcrush87 08-11-2015 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35806993)
I do

not now, I have had a very busy day and I am literally just about to lie down in bed and watch some Babylon 5. I am up to 4x16 and it is getting to the good bit.

ok then. may i ask you when u got freed, add me on steam as i some questions to ask. may need help when installing a new router too.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198013314259/

many thanx.
i will be waiting for you invitation then.

thanx again and have a good night ^^

General Maximus 08-11-2015 22:05

you can ask all the questions you want on here, just make a list. If I don't answer them (when I am at work) I can guarantee someone else will. There are plenty of active forum members with extensive knowledge and experience in networking.

qasdfdsaq 09-11-2015 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathcrush87 (Post 35806983)
Dear G.Maximus,

You realize the G.Maximus is the butt muscle, right?

General Maximus 09-11-2015 19:21

good point, everyone can address as General from now on :ninja:

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

As an fyi I have just scrolled down to the bottom of the router page and read the blab and come across this:

" Additionally, the Linksys Dual Band AC1200 Wireless 3.0 Adapter (WUSB6300) enables you to upgrade your laptop or desktop computer to fully benefit from the faster speeds of wireless-AC technology to stream high-definition video or enjoy high-speed gaming"

I know it is an additional cost (maybe you can put it on your xmas list) but you need to look at it from a cost/benefit point of view. If you get yourself setup with decent stuff from the get go just think of how many hundreds of hours of gaming you'll be able to enjoy.

Deathcrush87 17-11-2015 23:07

ok.
i waited for some time, but unfortunately you did not add me on steam.
i understand if you dont want to. thats fine.

lets see. my landlord called Virgin twice, and they did not send us a new router what so ever. they repeat the same thing over and over again; that the internet is fine on their end..

got really frustrated.

but wait, for 2 days my BT Ethernet powerline extender was completely disconnected. it did not even show the router, nothing.
i unplugged it, then plugged it again and miracles happened!
the internet is running and the Black Ops 3 was super fast and smooth with 30~40 ms ping.
then, after 1 hour lag started.
so i thought, it might be my ethernet connection. played around a little bit and BANG!
every time i press Play on steam for BO3, the internet disconnects. i lose steam's connection and internet connection as a whole. but then i quit the game and after 10 seconds the internet is working again.

is there any tips how to fix this??

MUD_Wizard 18-11-2015 00:42

While the General's advice is fair, it doesn't get you anywhere closer to diagnosing where your actual problems are.

There is a well known problem/bug with the Superhub 1 when running in router mode (the mode you're using), which causes the performance to get worse over time from its last reboot. This produces a ramping effect with increasing latency over time, which also affects the stability of the hubs cable, ethernet and wifi connections.

See message 5 here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...y/td-p/2834249

First thing to do is to setup a BQM graph here to diagnose your latency issues: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Post a link to the shared graph, so we can have a look. You can do this from any computer on the network and takes two minutes to do. You will need to enable the Wan Ping Respond option in the advanced settings -> ping section of the Superhub settings.

Do this first, before rebooting the Superhub, so we can see if it makes a difference. Diagnosis is better than guessing.

Second, your powerline should be fine for gaming once setup properly. Not quite as good as an ethernet cable but should provide stable low latency, assuming your electrical house wiring is ok and its not going through a circuit breaker. You should test this seperately by pinging the Superhub on 192.168.0.1 from your computer, to see how good/bad the latency between your computer and Superhub is.

Powerline's do have limited speed though, so bear that in mind when doing speed tests. Shouldn't affect your gaming though as that's mostly about stable latency. Not all 500Mb powerline's performance are the same. Some have 100Mb ethernet ports which reduces the throughput speed you see to between 30-70Mb.

You mentioned wifi several times, as if you have additional wifi adapters separate to what the Superhub provides. Whatever you do, don't use your powerline with an additional wifi adapter. Wifi will produce much more interference and higher latency in general than powerline.

Message 40 here details why there are often problems with logging in to the Superhub admin interface and what you can do about it: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...2850588#M74902

Usually the admin interface may be busy or if permanently inaccessible it may have crashed.

So yes, there are good reasons for upgrading your Supehub to avoid these problems.

Third, as you've been upgraded from 30Mb to 100Mb at a time when many people have also been upgraded to 200Mb, your channels will have likely changed and your area may be experiencing some utilisation problems on those channels during peak time (too many people and not enough bandwidth to go around). This may also be causing a few latency spikes at peak time. This is an all too common complaint at the moment. Though probably not bad enough for VM to declare a problem.

However, rather than guessing what the problem is, we should approach this methodically and investigate before shelling out money.

Try to reduce the number of variables in the formula for testing.

The one thing you can be sure of is that running a Superhub 1 in router mode is setting yourself up for grief. Both from a wired and wifi standpoint, even moreso if you have utilisation issues.

You might also want to post your downstream, upstream and network log from your Superhub found here: 192.168.0.1/RouterStatus.html

Deathcrush87 18-11-2015 17:22

Dear Mud Wizard,

Many many thanks for your response and kind step by step help. i feel i might get somewhere with your tips and help.

1 - I did setup a BQM graph, and I enabled Wan Ping Respond in the Superhub sttings, then rebooted the router.
here is the link:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...370514a5a.html

2 - i pinged my powerline to the IP address you provided. the results were different each time. take a look:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...015/11/2.png?1

3 - i can not remove the aditional wifi adapter, as some roommates can not connect to the superhub's wifi as of their weak wifi devices.

4 - using either wifi or powerline, as soon as i launch black ops 3, my internet disconnects. this has been the issue since last night. i dont know why!

5 - downstream, upstream and network log: (network log seems to show October instead of November for some reason. so if i checked the network log tomorrow, it would say 19/10/2015)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...015/11/3.png?1
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...015/11/4.png?1
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/...015/11/5.png?1

MUD_Wizard 18-11-2015 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathcrush87 (Post 35806970)
superhub is in the living room.
we have a Netgear Powerline 500 + Wifi connected via a socket in the first floor to extend the wifi coverage.
I use a Wifi PCI card and i also use a BT Powerline Ethernet like this

Could you describe exactly how your networking equipment is connected.

You said you have two types of powerline adapters: Netgear and BT.

Are both connected to the Superhub?
At the same time?

---------- Post added at 18:50 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

[QUOTE=Deathcrush87;35808656]
1 - I did setup a BQM graph, and I enabled Wan Ping Respond in the Superhub sttings, then rebooted the router.
here is the link:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/s...370514a5a.html

Your BQM graph looks good after the initial red packet loss, which I assume is where you rebooted your Superhub? As you didn't leave it going long enough before rebooting it's difficult to tell what it was like before.

Is your connection any better now?

2 - i pinged my powerline to the IP address you provided. the results were different each time. take a look:

You can run a continuous ping by inserting a -t option before or after the ping address.

Anyway, the data you provided (along with the good BQM) implies that the high latency problem is from your computer to the Superhub (not with the VM network). i.e. with the wifi or powerline. You need to test again without wifi involved to see how the powerline on its own performs.

While the high latency is most likely due to wifi interference, have you checked to see if the two powerlines are also interferring with each other? i.e. Tested with one of them off.

Also resetting the powerline before testing might be a good idea, as you said when you did that previously things improved?

3 - i can not remove the aditional wifi adapter, as some roommates can not connect to the superhub's wifi as of their weak wifi devices.

Surely with this being a serious internet issue you can find some time to test when they are not using it? Only takes a few minutes.

4 - using either wifi or powerline, as soon as i launch black ops 3, my internet disconnects. this has been the issue since last night. i dont know why!

We'll leave that for now until the other problems are resolved.

5 - downstream, upstream and network log: (network log seems to show October instead of November for some reason. so if i checked the network log tomorrow, it would say 19/10/2015)

All modem stats are looking good. The month being off is a well known bug, ignore it.

---------- Post added at 18:59 ---------- Previous post was at 18:50 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathcrush87 (Post 35806970)
I use a Wifi PCI card and i also use a BT Powerline Ethernet like this:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2015/11/7.jpg

Does your BT powerline adapter have an ethernet port (e.g. on the top) that you can plug your computer directly into without disturbing your house mates? You need to take wifi out of the equation for testing.