Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Dissused Virgin Media Cable (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33681625)

Rockie 04-10-2011 13:37

Dissused Virgin Media Cable

I hope I am in the right area but as a newby forgive me if not!
I am having my front garden converted into a driveway and am wondering where I stand if the cable beneath my lawn gets damaged in the process? There has not been a Virgin Media connection to my property for over ten years although would not rule this out in the future so contacted Virgin and am getting nowhere on either the cable under the lawn or moving the swept tee cover on the proposed dropped kerb. My urgency is this has now been three months and my permission from the Council to carry out a dropped kerb expires in 3 months. Can anyone help advise me?

MovedGoalPosts 04-10-2011 13:41

Re: Dissused Virgin Media Cable

It's very unlikely the T would be moved in the public pavement. That would involve alteration to the main duct. That incurs a major cost, and also needs co-ordination with the local authority for Virgin's Construction crews.

If the cable within your grounds gets damages, I wouldn't worry too much. If you, or someone else ever takes a service again then a new one can be pulled through.

BUT if you are laying hard paving services then cable installation can't take place through that. Bury a duct pipe under the hard pavings so cables could be added later.

BenMcr 04-10-2011 13:43

This is from the Contact Us page on Virgin's site:

Quote:

What do you want to contact us about?
  • New developments? Contact the New Build team on 0800 408 0088.
  • Damage to our network? Contact the National Claims Damages Team on 0870 888 3113.
  • Personal Injury or Property Damage? Contact the National Third Party Claims Team on 0870 888 3113, option 2, or option 3 for Utilities.
  • Plant enquiry? Email us at plant.enquiries.team @virginmedia.co.uk
  • Diversionary works? Contact the Network Alteration Centre on 0800 408 0088, option 1.

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

I would expect it would the 'Diversonay Works' number you need if you want the Tee moving. There are some details on who they are HERE

Rockie 04-10-2011 14:13

Thank you, that is good advice about laying a duct pipe underneath for future use, that then covers all bases. With regards to the tee cover on the path that I have permission to lower, It was my understanding that Virgin Media would relocate/lower this, but instead they have quoted to complete the whole job, however they are not on the Council's list of contractors. I was considering contacting my selected preferred contractor and asking them to lower it, am I allowed to do this?

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

Thank you but I contacted Diversionary Works three months ago and are still no further forward than when I got permission, other than them quoting to do the whole job which they are not authorised by the Council to do. Any further suggestion would be helpful?

weesteev 05-10-2011 10:55

Div Works will charge £750 for an estimate then the cost of works on top, its an expensive route to go down for such a small amount of work.

Are you sure its Div Works you spoke with and not Failed Installs?

Rockie 05-10-2011 19:01

Yes it was Div works I have spoken to and am getting nowhere with. you are right it seems a lot of money when the swept tee cover only needs lowing about an inch, two at most. Is this not something the local authority approved dropped kerb contractor could do?

I've e-mailed Div works and am waiting on a response, but this has now been on-going since August! If anyone has any direct dial numbers it would be helpful.

weesteev 05-10-2011 21:03

It wont just be the cap that needs lowered, the cap covers a bend from the mainline duct, it may not be possible to reduce the length of this bend so lowering the entire duct arm back to the trunk route may be the only option.

At the end of the day if you dont have service then the cable under the lawn shouldn't be a concern, if theres any damage then an install crew can replace this/lay a new one in future.

Rockie 06-10-2011 14:29

So are you saying that the only option is to go with moving the whole thing which you have quoted £1,700 for or is a site visit from Virgin needed in order to determine the options?
I can't see that this is a uncommon problem Virgin Media tees are situated in a lot of pavements, and I'm not the first person who wants a dropped kerb. This is also complicated by the fact that Virgin Media are not an approved contractor of my local County Council to carry out the work to drop the kerb (which was included in the £1,700 estimate). So it seems I have stalemate, which is what I probaly had when I first spoke to Virgin in August, it's just no one has made anything clear!
If you can, please help me?

weesteev 06-10-2011 14:43

VM would not be the contractor, it would be whoever the local civils contractor is, either Ftel, McNicholas or John Henry).

If Div Works have quoted you that price then that's what will be classed as a C4 estimate. That will be the price as ascertained by the local planner, no doubt you would have been sent the estimate details by letter and all the necessary contact details are provided to discuss the quote. The price quoted by Virgin will not include a dropped kerb but a dropped duct, the network will have to be lowered across the entrance to your driveway, not just the Tee as your driveway will not leave suitable depth in the footway for the duct to exist.

Your best option is speak to Div Works but by the sounds of it that work will be required. Your correct that this is not uncommon works and your not the first (and wont be the last) to have to pay to shift equipment when having a driveway placed. It could be worse, there could have been a chamber or a Cabinet in the way!

HTH